Lord of the Rings Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaX

Tank
Reaction score
So who here has the game? I'm currently thinking about buying it. I recently sold my WoW account and stopped playing. Just curious how similar is it to WoW or is it more like Guild Wars? and is it worth paying the monthly fee for?

I've heard good things about it. Meant to be alot like WoW with a few key differences. Lots of polish, as you could expect from a LOTR-branded game, and it seems pretty true to the universe (ie - there are no true magic-using classes as wizards were rare in LOTR).

A WoW-playing friend of mine tried beta for awhile and wasn't too impressed, but that was beta, things could always have improved. Besides that I'd say read some reviews, then if you're sufficiently convinced, see what you think of the trial month (assuming it has one).

I'm hoping they make a new hack and slash LOTR game for the PC.

I'd buy that. Nothing like cutting Orcs and shit to pieces and leveling up while upgrading your equip. The game boy advance game was fun. Something like that but with mind blowing graphics and music, and hopefully high end gameplay.

+1 to that. The LOTR PS2 games were a hell of a lot of mindless fun.

ughhh LOTRO beta was such utter garbage, and it wasn't even the bugginess or lack of polish, the core gameplay and interface was just plain boring and useless.

Seconded about an upgraded version of the GBA game(s). I played many hours of the Two Towers incarnation - bring on a PC version!

I'd buy that. Nothing like cutting Orcs and shit to pieces and leveling up while upgrading your equip. The game boy advance game was fun. Something like that but with mind blowing graphics and music, and hopefully high end gameplay.

+1 to that. The LOTR PS2 games were a hell of a lot of mindless fun.
Seconded about an upgraded version of the GBA game(s). I played many hours of the Two Towers incarnation - bring on a PC version!
The fans have spoken. Give the people what they want.

The LOTR original game for the PS2 was amazing. I play the Moria and Bree levels over and over again. :p

I'd prefer a LOTR RPG in the Final Fantasy 12 or Oblivion or Baldur's Gate vein.

LOTRO was a great idea but it doesn't seem to hit the mark unfortunately....

Have to agree with the other boyos.

I played the LOTRO beta for about 3 months but it never quite captured me enough to want to buy it.
It was just ok, average in all areas but unfortunately lacking that extra quality and shine.

Seems like alot of you played the beta, but not the final version. I wonder if there is a big difference? I've been reading reviews and they seem to be pretty decent. Alot of 9/10's. I'm just tired of WoW and Guild Wars. Looking for a new MMO to start up.

The difference between the beta and the final are just a bunch of bug fixes and the free release of the Shores of Evendim.

I happened to enjoy LOTRO very much. Accomplishments, original quests (Pie Champion!), and great sights to see kept it enjoyable. However, I'm not playing the final version since I never pay for monthly fees. Perhaps when they release Rohan and Gondor expansions I will consider it.

It's already out I think. I believe they call it Oblivon.

Stick with WoW or Guild Wars, they are MUCH better. Yeah Oblivion is a must have too :D

I signed up for the beta.. but didnt have the time to play. But, of course: Betas can be way different.. Like how I played in the Beta for Guild wars. It was a lot better back then... Why did they screw it up, in my opinion?

I'm thinking of getting into this since I've been on a LOTR binge as of late.
Bought Battle for Middle-Earth 2 and the extended trilogy boxed set.
I'm trying to find the Return of the King game that came on the PC a while back but to no avail.

But I'm in the process of downloading the huge 7gb 14 day trial of this and was wondering if anybody who plays it would want to go questing with me? :D

Are you serious? :(
Meh, I mainly just wanted to check out the Shire and maybe run around a life-sized Minas Tirith/Helms Deep/Osgiliath/Mines of Moria.

Eh, if I don't like it I'll just uninstall it... WoW wasn't that bad... despite having 10,000 hotkeyed spells/buffs/etc to remember.
No, nevermind... if it's anything like that I'll hate it. Cancelled. :(

The videos and stuff looked so tantalizing.

edit x394: I'm actually in the mood for any MMO that has a free trial atm, City of Heroes looks fun... I've been wanting to try it out since I heard about it.

City of Heroes is actually better, try it out. If I feel like spending $15, I might join you. I has a character on CoH.

I currently play it and find it very enjoyable and immersive. It is, however, the only MMO I've ever played so I can't give any comparisons to others. I simply signed up cus on my love of Tolkein's work, which makes playing it a joy for me. I've never encountered a single bug, and the community seems helpful and mature. It's also a damn good looking game that utilises DX10 very well. I've taken a ton of screenshots since their portrayal of Middle Earth is spot-on. If you want to see how the game looks I can post some.

Alrighty, here's 5 fairly varied ones, all from Bree-Lands, all with maximum graphics except distant landscape lighting since that looks like ass. I like taking scenic screenshots so none of these show combat, players etc.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1677/gleamingfieldky1.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2504/hobbitroadmk4.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2519/thebarrowdownseq2.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5601/eveningforestyt2.jpg
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6061/floatingleavesje4.jpg

So who here has the game? I'm currently thinking about buying it. I recently sold my WoW account and stopped playing. Just curious how similar is it to WoW or is it more like Guild Wars? and is it worth paying the monthly fee for?

you're better off getting AoC
even with all the bugs(nothing major) and lack of endgame features, it's still a hell of alotta fun

Yeah, get AoC if you have 30gb to spare. D:

Also, very pretty screenies.
Got any action shots at all?

Decided to check out the game since it's free now and was wondering if any of you netters are actually playing it these days and if so, what server ya'll are on?

edit: Played it for a bit, seems fun but it's insanely boring running around and doing quests by yourself and no one wants to play with me. :(
Meh, whatever.

Pointless bump I suppose.

Got installed with a character on Silverlode but it's pretty boring unless you're a paying member.

Yes, it's pretty awful. All f2p MMORPGs are. Especially ones that aren't playable without buying stuffs.

Come play Guild Wars. I'm lonely...

I'd play Guild Wars if I had any of the expansions, I only have Prophecies. :(

I wish I could get into MMOs but I just don't have the cash to spare for even more monthly expenses.

All the other MMORPGs are just ripoffs of WoW. I tried playing RIFT. It just...I don't know. Watch Guild Wars 2's MMO Manifesto. I pretty much agree with everything Arenanet says is wrong with MMORPGs.

Also, most of the player base is in Prophecies/Eye of the North. The only reason why I'm playing Factions right now is because I'm stuck in Pre-Searing for awhile.

Mmmmm, my Guild Wars 2 radar was going off!

When is that sucker coming out? Where's my surprise open beta stress test event thingy? WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG! GAAAAAAH!

No idea when GW2 is gonna come out. They say "when it's ready."

Most likely later this year though due to all the hype and information they're releasing.

Agreed.

It was made by Turbine who made other generics like Asheron's Call and D&D Online.

They make a generic online RPG framework then stick a new name and visual style ontop of it.

Wow AC is generic? You are out of your ****ing mind kid. There is more originality in that game than every other MMO put together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back