• Yes, lose it permanently

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • No, don't lose it

Votes: 65 56.5%

• Total voters

PorkPi

Spy
Reaction score
Do you think we should lose the gravity gun in Ep3? Why would even ask such a question?
Well, I was thinking it might be good for us to lose the gravity gun at least temporarily. This would give us a break from the gravity gun puzzles and physics objects-based combat. While I do like all that stuff, I think we should take a level or two for some serious First Person Shooting. It would also encourage people to use Half-Life's other trademark weapon: The Crowbar.
So What do you think, Would removing the gravity gun be a good move or would it ruin the game for you?

I voted no.

I absolutely love the gravity gun. It has so many uses, ranging from opening a crate of supplies to throwing a metal object at a zombie. Why should it be taken away from us after we've been using it since Half-Life 2? It doesn't make any sense.

If you don't want to use the gravity gun, then don't use it! There are plenty of other weapons you can use, like a SMG or a shotgun. There's no point in taking it away, even temporarily, but that's just me.

Of course, it wouldn't ruin the game if it was taken away, but some people would be a little upset about it.

Well, the main reason I'd want to lose it for a little while is so I wasn't almost forced into using the gravity gun. Like I said, I like the GG too, but it feels like I have to use it because most levels have a ton of good physics objects but not a lot of ammo for weapons like the shotty and combine rifle. It forces you to think "I want to save my shotgun ammo so I'll just throw one of these explosive barrels instead of using my crappy pistol".

Nah, keep the Gravity Gun. As Shem said if you don't want to use it then don't. Half-Life is filled with to much ammo and you don't really need to use the Gravity gun. I like having the option of either shooting or using the Gravity gun, flinging a toilet is more satisfying then shooting a gun.
Personally i would like Valve to expand on the Physics puzzles, yes you made a great physics engine enough with the damn see-saw puzzles. Valve has the engine to create some really cool physics puzzles yet they insist on repeating the same basic puzzles we saw in HL2.

Building on that, what would be truly awesome is if you lost the Gravity Gun and then had it used against you in combat by an enemy. That would be an epic twist.

I generally don't find myself using the GG much for combat, tbh. I tend to use it more where it's opportunistic, or when I'm out of ammo for other weapons.

Only if we get other new weapons in the meantime. Overall, I'd just rather they kept it in and gave us new things to do with it.

i voted temporarily. Mainly because i think it preposterous that every time we lose all our weapons, the gravity gun just HAPPENS to be ten feet away.

I also like the idea of an enemy using it against you. :)

Building on that, what would be truly awesome is if you lost the Gravity Gun and then had it used against you in combat by an enemy. That would be an epic twist.

Seconded, though would it be by a bipedal creature, because the advisors already have that ability.

Perhaps captured by the ultimate assasin

Or maybe some form of electromagnetic energy emenating from the borealis renders it useless whilst in range of the vessel

My idea is to completely get rid of the gravity gun and give you a new weapon that you get to test out. Near the middle of the game your given an option to keep the new gun or the gravity gun .

My idea is to completely get rid of the gravity gun and give you a new weapon that you get to test out. Near the middle of the game your given an option to keep the new gun or the gravity gun .

Welcome to the forums!

Losing the gravity gun would mean losing the ability to use the world around you. It would turn all objects around you into useless decoration. Also I think that the gravity gun became the trademark weapon for HL2 and its episodes, so... no, don't lose it.

This would be an excellent idea; I still voted no, since, as said previously, if you don't want to use it, you don't have to (unless it's a physics puzzle that requires it).

Like I said, It's not that I just don't want to use it, I don't want to have to use it. If it was taken away for a little bit it would add a challenge of having to solve new and different puzzles without the gravity gun. If we're going to keep it (which we probably will) I'd like to see useful objects like barrels and sawblades become a little more obscure to make GG combat not always the "I win" choice.

If we can swap it to get antlion spores again.

What I think would be really cool is if we had new weapons unlock at random. However, the more you play, the more likely you are to unlock a weapon. Sometimes you get repeats, but you can give them to your friends.

It would be pretty cool if the advisors broke it (or the crowbar) so that now it's personal. And Gordon treks north for revenge!

I reckon the Grav Gun should be more powerful this time, the secondary fire mode should pick up and rips apart target object; giving you a varying number of wood splinters, metal shards and bone fragments (acting as ammo). Then you can fire these pieces of debris at a controlled rate like a machine gun.

Cinematic physics should play a role in making the animation for the ripping apart the object a bit more awe inspiring.

Should bring back memories for the Goldeneye players who loved to throw knives, just they'll be able to fire them more quickly.

No, it is the only gun that requires the player to use their dexterity in order to use makeshift weapons out of the environment. Much more fun compared to the traditional point and shoot weapons that you see in FPS games.

Plus there are lots of SMGs but there is only one Gravity Gun

The GG is a very unique weapon no doubt about it.

However, 95% of the time I'll have my shotgun out as it is way more kick@ss awesome. To tell the truth, I've never used the GG to break open creates. I'll allways blow them up with my shotgun.

No way! I feel naked without the Gravity Gun.

This.

Also, I like the idea of ripping apart pieces of the environment to use as more deadly projectiles.

I wouldn't mind the blue gravity gun again. Gotta love picking up Combine soldiers and killing other Combine soldiers with said Combine soldiers body.

I wouldn't mind the blue gravity gun again. Gotta love picking up Combine soldiers and killing other Combine soldiers with said Combine soldiers body.
Agreed, Blue GG was awesome. It's a shame that Valve have ruled out using it again.

Anything they could do to use it again (storywise) would be out of place and just seem like an excuse to have the blu gg back, so I don't think we'll be seeing it.
Edit:I'm cuious about the people who chose the "lose permanently" option. Please post.

Agreed, Blue GG was awesome. It's a shame that Valve have ruled out using it again.

I'm glad their not using it again. It was fun, but there was no way they could fit it in again without it being very arbitrary, plus it makes everything ridiculously easy.

No, you should never lose it. The gravity gun is the symbol of everything HL2. Once Episode 3 ends the HL2 story arc, all bets are off. But EP3 is still titled "Half-Life 2", and I expect the gravity gun to be an important part. The next Half-Life game after that will hopefully be something brand new, maybe even to HL2 what HL2 was to HL1.

I'm glad their not using it again. It was fun, but there was no way they could fit it in again without it being very arbitrary, plus it makes everything ridiculously easy.

They might mix up Aperture technology with gravity gun this time. A gravity gun that creates void holes or portals? I will lol if they had it.

I generally don't find myself using the GG much for combat, tbh. I tend to use it more where it's opportunistic, or when I'm out of ammo for other weapons.

Indeed it would be truly awesome. Also I am a whore for those levels where you lose all your weapons like in the box squisher in half-life or when you get captured in the mj12 base in deus ex. So I voted temporarily. It would be good to go one man army with a crowbar.

I find that that gravity gun just makes the crowbar obsolete. The gravity gun kills headcrabs at a distance, smashes crates, acts as a weapon. I think it would be good to let the real iconic half-life weapon have some love.

I'd prefer they keep the gravity gun and ditch almost all of the other weapons for new ones. With the exception of the crowbar and the RPG, I'm kind of sick of the same set of weapons over and over again.

I voted lose it permanantly. Makes way for more close quarters combat with the crowbar.

I think losing temporarily would be a good idea. We've grown too attached to the Gravity Gun. W should have taken away to learn new tactics for getting around obsticles.

I voted no.The gravity gun is good for flinging saws at the Headcrab zombies.Plus the puzzles are good.

Lose the one major gimmick that is so intertwined with the gameplay, which also served in making HL2 good in the first place?

Are you out of your minds?

I could understand losing it for a portion of the episode--maybe the first or last sequences of the game (it would be interesting to see the last fight scene used entirely with the crowbar, whose thunder has been stolen by the GG)--, but the episode in its entirety? How would they explain it? "Oops, we dropped it down an ice-fishing hole."

What's wrong with you?

How about this: You can combine your crowbar and Grav gun, meaning you can launch it like a spear, impaling an enemy, and then drawing it back to you in the same motion.

I'd like to see anyone deny how epic that would be.

You use the crowbar with the rope with the metal rod?

How about this: You can combine your crowbar and Grav gun, meaning you can launch it like a spear, impaling an enemy, and then drawing it back to you in the same motion.

I'd like to see anyone deny how epic that would be.

I can see where your coming from but naa. The crowbar should stay in his hands. And what if we fire it over the edge of a cliff? End game

I think they should keep the gravity gun but say, when you are in a specific area in the game, it doesn't work. So you have to solve physics puzzles with the E key, or if you wanted to kill an enemy, you had to get to high altitude and drop the object on them.

Back