Lost Odyssey

Reaction score
Anyone seen/heard about this game? The basic premise is you play Kaim, a character who must live for 1,000 years. The game takes place over that time as you make new allies, loves, etc. The combat is much like the FF games, but the battles have a sort of cinematic view to them. You have to see it to know what I mean. The very concept sounds interesting since your allies will eventually grow old and die (except for other immortals you recruit) and getting to see the civilization change should be cool. I'm hoping its as open ended as it sounds.

Yeah, I heard of it. Fantastic graphics. The transition between CG and real-time was done really well. Xboxyde.com had a fairly lenghty video of the demonstration up a couple of days ago but has since been asked by Microsoft to take it down. It's a shame because the game looked amazing. However, I'm not a big fan of the turn-based combat though. Here's some screens:

790_0001.jpg

790_0002.jpg

Video here

This game has the most amazing sleight-of-hand transition from FMV to in-game visuals I've ever seen.

I was watching that stunning CGI sequence, waiting for it to finish and the gameplay to start, then BAM - it's already in-game :D

But when I picked my jaw up off the floor, I noticed the gameplay in the video looks identical to 16-bit RPGs of olde. :p
Behind the visuals it's still just a case of "Hit goblin for 61 damage".

In fact, the only interaction the player gets in the whole scene is selecting a few menu options.
That doesn't look very 'next-gen' to me... and it's a weird contrast with the introduction FMV... :rolling:

I'm sure there'll be more moves we can do than just "slash" and such.

At least I hope.

Video here

This game has the most amazing sleight-of-hand transition from FMV to in-game visuals I've ever seen.

I was watching that stunning CGI sequence, waiting for it to finish and the gameplay to start, then BAM - it's already in-game :D

But when I picked my jaw up off the floor, I noticed the gameplay in the video looks identical to 16-bit RPGs of olde. :p
Behind the visuals it's still just a case of "Hit goblin for 61 damage".

In fact, the only interaction the player gets in the whole scene is selecting a few menu options.
That doesn't look very 'next-gen' to me... and it's a weird contrast with the introduction FMV... :rolling:
Who cares if the menu options isn't 'next-gen'.... It's a turn based system that's been used in countless rpg's, so why mess with something that already works?

I love the video. This game looks top notch!

Yeah, I guess the traditional systems for these games still work fine. And Lost Odyssey is clearly aimed at fans of the trad RPG.

I was just thinking how weird it is to have such a massive leap in visual quality, but no real change to the gameplay at all.
That's happening in other genres as well, of course, but imo it seems really pronounced in this game!

In any case, the game looks stunning. I'm sure it'll blow everyone away when it arrives

I don't usually like JRPGs, but the game's presentation and premise have sold me. I'll get it whenever I can. :D

The combat is much like the FF games

Sounded cool until I heard that. There are few things in gaming that I hate more than turn-based combat. Too bad, the story sounded cool. Maybe I could watch someone else play it and play my DS during the combat parts.

Seen a lot about it recently from TGS. Not that impressed really. Doesn't do anything to stand out imho. Maybe it'll prove me wrong, but I don't think this will be the RPG to get for the 360. Blue Dragon looks much better right now....

I've never liked turn based RPGs, at all, but that game might be worth playing for it's presentation alone. Very very impressive. However, I'm guessing that was the opening level and that the same production values aren't maintained throughout the entire game, there's just no way. It's still probably just for fans of the genre, but it's damn cool.

They spoil you for half a minute with brutal, intense CG battles and the actual gameplay boils down to some dull menu-scrolling. You've got to be joking.

Back