Lulzsec does it for the lols

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
this pretty much sums up Lulzsec as only the crazy animation house from taiwan can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udcnlLXUh8E

so what say you hl2.net? vigilant hero or annoying neckbeards getting revenge for being social outcasts? see I can understand attacking big business but why are they hitting on sites like Minecraft or Eve Online? I mean if they want to make a point on internet security why would they hit these low key targets? hell they even have 4chan angry

I think they are just really annoying teenagers who are just begging to get thrown into prison. They have no legitimate reason to be hacking into people's accounts, they are just simply doing it to screw with people. For example, when 4chan went on a DDOS'ing spree, they had a legitimate purpose which was to attack big corporations.

Groups like this really piss me off. Just a bunch of people mad at the world because they are 30 and haven't been laid yet so they resort to ****ing with people simply because they can. And nothing that they do is all that sophisticated, which is probably why they don't have a job and live in their mom's basement..

They're just a bunch of annoying flies that need to be swatted. They've got nothing better to do than perturb seemingly innocent people, and it has to stop.

Part of it is a group of agents provocateur working for the interests of security firms and the CIA to drum up support for internet censorship from its most vocal and impenetrable opponents (tech-aware gamers). They mostly just prod everyone else along by suggesting "those assholes at Bethesda" or "EVE online, to **** with the neckbeard corps".

a false flag attack you say? kathaksung has hijacked stigmata's account

I originally gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought they were greyish-hat hackers that exposed flaws in order to get them resolved, but DDOSing random target webpages at the request of strangers is just ... pointless.

a false flag attack you say? kathaksung has hijacked stigmata's account
There are a lot of very good arguments for the possibility of this being partially a false flag attack, and very few (I would say zero) against that don't boil down to an overapplication of Occam's Razor. There's no empirical evidence either way, to be sure, but I think it's important to at least be aware of the possibility.

Given the myriad number of actual evil sods in the world who could do with a nice case of hacking, it's kind of surprising that bulk of their victims have been for the most part games companies and the like. Be interesting to see how this CIA hack plays out, but who knows it could well turn out to be some sort of false flag operation to convince us that internet freedom is evil or some such. No doubt Bill O 'really has much to say on the matter, something along the lines of 'we wouldn't be facing this sort of thing under a republican government'.

Of course in the event that Obama holds a press conference in a couple of weeks time and tells how SWAT 6 heroically freed several families of pale slightly pudgy computer geeks living in their basements around the globe I wouldn't be terribly upset about it.

There are a lot of very good arguments for the possibility of this being partially a false flag attack, and very few (I would say zero) against that don't boil down to an overapplication of Occam's Razor. There's no empirical evidence either way, to be sure, but I think it's important to at least be aware of the possibility.

it just seems highly unplausible because outside of gaming communities hardly anyone is even aware of lulzsec. the attacks on gaming sites pretty much are ignored by anything but gaming press. that just seems like a really round about way to get attention

I have nothing but contempt for people who use the term 'lulz'. These guys have it in the name of their group.

-.-

it just seems highly unplausible because outside of gaming communities hardly anyone is even aware of lulzsec. the attacks on gaming sites pretty much are ignored by anything but gaming press. that just seems like a really round about way to get attention
But that's the point. The attention they (a potentially-nonexistent "they" ;)) are trying to capture is ours, because we're the ones who are acutely aware of just how much internet censorship intrudes on our freedoms, and we're probably the largest precursor to loudmouth freedom-loving liberals who attack the PATRIOT act and such. It doesn't matter whether the media reports on it. They're just trying to scare us into accepting harsher security policies. It's good marketing.

It's one thing to expose flaws in security so that benefit could be gleaned from it, another to post innocent people's personal details all over The Internet.

Definitely frustrated social outcasts. You have to have a really sad life to get enjoyment out of the stuff they do.

But that's the point. The attention they (a potentially-nonexistent "they" ;)) are trying to capture is ours, because we're the ones who are acutely aware of just how much internet censorship intrudes on our freedoms, and we're probably the largest precursor to loudmouth freedom-loving liberals who attack the PATRIOT act and such. It doesn't matter whether the media reports on it. They're just trying to scare us into accepting harsher security policies. It's just good marketing.

that seems like a rather pointless point to make. especially by attacking companies that are dear to gamers. I could see if they say targeted Jack Thompson or Family First or Leland Yee

I just hope they aren't satisfied sexually whenever they do this.

that seems like a rather pointless point to make. especially by attacking companies that are dear to gamers. I could see if they say targeted Jack Thompson or Family First or Leland Yee
The point is to highlight the "lack of security provided by The Internet", when The Internet is neither a singular entity nor is responsible for providing security for third parties. False flag, false threat, false interpretation, bad laws.

ya but gamers are not exactly all that poltically minded. it just seems like an odd niche target made up of people from all walks of life with little cohesiveness besides a love of video games

Lulzsec is a bunch of black hat fagg0ts behaving with a completely undeserved sense of self-righteousness. Some of the stuff they do is ok and justifiable but some of it is also malicious and harmful to just ordinary people, not the organizations that Lulzsec claims to be attacking.

Eh, I'm amused by how much mainstream press they're getting. Until I'm personally affected, I'll just keep laughing.

"xD I'm doing this for the lulz so epic check out what I did dad"

Trust me. They already ****ed with senate.gov so they will probably get arrested once they gather evidence/get their IPs. I can't wait to find out how old they are! I'm guessing 14-18.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, stop giving them what they want- attention.

It's one thing to expose flaws in security so that benefit could be gleaned from it, another to post innocent people's personal details all over The Internet.

Especially since they aren't even exposing security flaws most of the time, they're just using a massive botnet for DDOS to take down sites.

I hope these guys get caught.
nothing but trouble for the whole internet gaming community.
oh and Stig lay off the weed man.....

Like many hackers who perform malicious attacks, they do it for the recognition and little else. They're sitting around in their respective little office chairs masturbating every time they see their dumbass name in an article describing how amazing their widly progressive and terrible DDoS attack was. It's not like these things don't occur every day or anything and have done so since the internet's been anything useful... but hey they're an "organization" and thus the three or four of them that it took to accomplish this are some kind of evil masterminds. In reality, just a bunch of annoying pricks wasting time and being a bother to your average joe on the internet.

Internet scum who cause disruption and disorder where they can. They're the most worthless types, whether they have a cause or not makes no difference to me. Vigilantism is unacceptable. Unless it's the A-Team.

I am the one that thinks that this are just tipical hackers that are copying the whole "hacktivist" thing to hide theyr real purpose of scam and such?

cuz why they would take passwords and the like if they are about "showing flaws"?

Especially since they aren't even exposing security flaws most of the time, they're just using a massive botnet for DDOS to take down sites.

Mmm. The whole thing just smacks of "Hurrr, we can take down sites and f*ck with people, hurrr" under an attempted masquerade of "Well we're just getting people to update their security measures."

Grey hat hackers my ass.

I just hope they aren't satisfied sexually whenever they do this.

The other definition of 'Sticky Keys'.

According to their Twitter updates, LulzSec has launched DDoS attacks—either on purpose or as a side effect of a mass hack attempt—that has taken down EVE Online, Escapist magazine, and Minecraft, proving conclusively that they hate everyone equally.

Linky

Once they catch em, what's the suitable punishment?

Once they catch em, what's the suitable punishment?

The only punishment for DDoS attackers is kicking them repeatedly in their tiny, unwashed, socially outcast, female repelling pseudo-testicles.

I'm torn.

They seem to just be poking their heads through doors, take a quick look around and then say ''This door should be locked'' close it then leave it alone.

At the same time, its illegal, so the US government is, if memory serves, taking all forms of hacking to them as an act of war, or terrorism...or something.

But at the same time, as long as they arent USING the data they get by hacking in, they aren't doing anything all THAT wrong. Getting credit card details of people isnt illegal (or is it?), USING those details IS. I know my dad's credit card details. I dont use them to pass myself off as him. Ergo, me knowing his details isnt illegal. I know my sister's account details, but dont use them.

I know the addresses of my friends, but I dont pass it on and insist someone else break in, only then am I committing a crime.

I'm torn.

They seem to just be poking their heads through doors, take a quick look around and then say ''This door should be locked'' close it then leave it alone.

At the same time, its illegal, so the US government is, if memory serves, taking all forms of hacking to them as an act of war, or terrorism...or something.

But at the same time, as long as they arent USING the data they get by hacking in, they aren't doing anything all THAT wrong. Getting credit card details of people isnt illegal (or is it?), USING those details IS. I know my dad's credit card details. I dont use them to pass myself off as him. Ergo, me knowing his details isnt illegal. I know my sister's account details, but dont use them.

I know the addresses of my friends, but I dont pass it on and insist someone else break in, only then am I committing a crime.

They leaked thousands of peoples email addresses and passwords which others used for paypal etc.

They have no moral standard behind what they do.

Back