Mafia 2.

Yes.

On my list of favourite games ever, Mafia is at least as high as third place.

Boy, I sure hope it has as many taxis missions as it did in the first game!

Looks like the same game with faster cars, better guns and better graphics. I don't even see the point in a sequel other than purely to further capitalize on the game.

Is that Louis Prima I hear in the background of the trailer? Cool.

Dear God it better be easier. I tore every single hair out for that racing mission until I managed to get some tactics down. Then the next mission I raided that hotel, got to the escaping over the roof part with 9 health and there weren't any health packs at all. I managed to learn the exact place to shoot to headshot every policeman there in the 50 times I ended up retrying. Then the next mission was even harder. I just quit. One day I'll try the whole thing again.

Will buy the sequel regardless because what I did play was amazing.

Dear God it better be easier. I tore every single hair out for that racing mission until I managed to get some tactics down. Then the next mission I raided that hotel, got to the escaping over the roof part with 9 health and there weren't any health packs at all. I managed to learn the exact place to shoot to headshot every policeman there in the 50 times I ended up retrying. Then the next mission was even harder. I just quit. One day I'll try the whole thing again.

Will buy the sequel regardless because what I did play was amazing.

Exactly the right difficulty games should be. I can most easily one hit every mission in the blink of an eye by now.

Exactly the right difficulty games should be. I can most easily one hit every mission in the blink of an eye by now.
Mind-meltingly hard is the right difficulty?

Great game, except for that damn racing mission; I hope the sequel is just as good.

I never could figure out what the big deal was with the racing mission, I didn't have that much trouble with it - I enjoyed it. And no, I'm not gloating, I just never have been able to figure out why my experience was so different to the norm. It's a mystery, and I detest mysteries.

Mafia blew.

Oh come now, it was pretty buggy and had some problems, but all in all, it was a very good game with a city that was much bigger than it's main competition, GTA 3. It also had the best voice acting i've ever heard in a game. The ending made me almost shed a tear.

The console versions were shitty ports that were released way too late, but the PC version is a classic imo.

I found myself despising this game.

I can wait for the sequel.

What, it wasn't much fun, save the free roam mode, especially when you had all unlockables, but it had holes, like in free roam, every vehicle had unlimited gas, but in story mode, I continuously ran out of gas when I am being chased and shot at. Also, how many times were the taxi missions going to be used, it got old after the first one.

I can say that I enjoyed Mafia a great deal more than The Godfather:the game.

What, it wasn't much fun, save the free roam mode, especially when you had all unlockables, but it had holes, like in free roam, every vehicle had unlimited gas, but in story mode, I continuously ran out of gas when I am being chased and shot at.
The cars very rarely run out of fuel unless the fuel tank gets shot full of holes, which often happens during a chase. You do have a fuel gauge to warn you when this happens, you know...

Also, how many times were the taxi missions going to be used, it got old after the first one.
What's all this whining I hear about taxi missions? There was ONE in the story mode.

The cars very rarely run out of fuel unless the fuel tank gets shot full of holes, which often happens during a chase. You do have a fuel gauge to warn you when this happens, you know...

What's all this whining I hear about taxi missions? There was ONE in the story mode.

One? I counted several taxi missions.

And because of the taxi missions that were a bitch to get through cause I'm horrible at driving sims D: I hate the game.

One? I counted several taxi missions.

And because of the taxi missions that were a bitch to get through cause I'm horrible at driving sims D: I hate the game.
Nope, there was only one in the story mode. You can drive a taxi in free roam to earn pocket money but that's entirely optional.

Nope, there was only one in the story mode. You can drive a taxi in free roam to earn pocket money but that's entirely optional.

Meh, I'll have to give it another try some time then.

It also had the best voice acting i've ever heard in a game...
There's where I have to disagree---some of the acting in the game was ok, some was shit, but most was just decent at best (namely the main character); did you never play Half-Life 2? or games like Max Payne or StarCraft (just to name a couple) which have infinitely better voice-acting.

The first one was a good game. There aren't many games that have better firefights. You actually have to use cover and roll out etc.

Aside from the Race mission I really enjoyed Mafia. I thought the look and feel of the game was excellent and I'm certainly looking forward to the sequel.

There's where I have to disagree---some of the acting in the game was ok, some was shit, but most was just decent at best (namely the main character); did you never play Half-Life 2? or games like Max Payne or StarCraft (just to name a couple) which have infinitely better voice-acting.

Now that I think about it, you are probably right. It was the dialogue itself that I was most impressed with.

159311270120080405154742.jpg

wall_2_1280x800.jpg

Loookin goooood

1950s! That's a Chevy Bel Air, right there!

Sign me up!

Looking sweet. It will be interesting to compare this to Rockstars other venture (with Team Bondi) L.A. Noire when that comes out as that has a sort of 50s thing going on as well.

Second screen is gorgeous. Illusion Softworks or 2k Czech are really great at making environments realistic looking and individual.

Mafia 2 first details (7.4.2008 01:01)

* Two main heroes with completely different characters: although you'll only be able to play as Vito, the other (named Joe) will play an important part in the story, not being limited to a supporting role.
* Not a direct sequel / no story connectivity; in fact, you won't have to know the first game.
* Extensive car damage, with physical destruction model supposedly even more detailed and prettier than the one from the acclaimed Burnout Paradise (according to the journalists at press presentation) with damaged car body, broken glass or exploding gas tanks.

* Not only you'll have to stop at gas stations for refueling your car, but you'll also be able to undergo a car wash and hence get rid of all the dust that your car has been picking.
* Money important for shopping (new clothes to get rid of pursuers) or visiting restaurants, which is where you'll have your hero strengthen up a bit by eating some (similar as in GTA San Andreas).
* Pastel colors and an art style at times reminding of BioShock.
* Confirmed the presence of Gears of War-like cover system, as suggested by recent screenshot.

* Story beginning shortly before the end of the World War II, which is when Vito comes back from war duty at Europe.
* Set in a fictional American city Empire City with size around 10 km2 (about twice as big as built-up area in original Lost Heaven city from the first Mafia) with tens of unique quarters, inspired mostly by San Francisco.
* Lead platforms X360/PS3, while the PC version should launch supposedly weeks or months afterwards, although this too could change depending on the current state of the gaming market. :angry:
* Release date still wasn't specified, but the journalists are expecting the game to ship in late spring/summer 2009.

More interesting details in various print magazines coming to the outlets this week.

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

WTF, without the PC market, the first one would have been a total flop!

That sucks...

But, I plan to get it on 360 anyway, and the damage system and vehicle detail looks top notch. I just hope it's not near as buggy as the first one.

looks nice, this is going to become a great sequel!

Back