Mafia 2.

Am I right in saying that this game makes use of the euphoria engine?

I really want to try that thing out.

Hot damn, this game is looking better everyday.

I think the 50's is probably my favourite period for cars.

It's all your fault!!!!!!!!!!

I got the first for PC when it was released, but I still have the same CPU and RAM I did then, so yeah, not a whole lot my PC can do when it comes to gaming in 2008.

The company also announced that the game will be released simultaneously on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC-- Shacknews.

Mafia 2 is set to hit stores during Take-Two's 2009 fiscal year, which runs from November 1, 2008 through October 31, 2009

image-o-matic.x

image-o-matic.x

I am really, really, really loving those screenshots. Thanks Digi.

New info from PlayStation: Official Magazine of May 2008

* The game will feature 3 families.
* Cops only call reinforcements if you committed a large enough crime.
* In total, there are about 2 hours of cutscenes.
* The game will contain references to the original game along with easter eggs.
* The game has 3 acts.
* All of the 2.5 square mile city available for travel at the start.
* You can use taxi's to get around the city.
* Cars get damaged, dirty, and even explode if shot in the gas tank.
* You can customize cars with your own license plates.
* There are 2 types of context sensitive environment interactions: Standard and Violent.
* You can buy food from vendors such as hotdogs.
* While buying stuff you cannot be attacked.
* NPC's will smoke, read newspapers, wait for buses, look through trash cans, etc.
* In several points in the story, you can make choices that affect the game.
* The game will feature multiple endings.
* Police will go after other criminals instead of just you
* You can buy houses where you can store your gear
* You can take missions for and against competing families.
* There will be many interactive objects such as chairs, bottles, sinks, etc.
* The map will have waypoints including sidequests.
* Checkpoints have improved from the original game.
* There will be no on screen interface.
* You can go to gyms to learn new hand to hand combo moves.
* Shooting through doors will possibly be added.

I'll just put this in here:

Mafia 2 PC first review- 80% #1
Mafia 2 review - 80% in PC Zone
Friday 30-Jul-2010 4:09 PM 2K Czech's gangster title "looks stunning"

The first verdict on 2K's Mafia II is in - and PC Zone's view is that, despite some annoying flaws, it's still a winner.

The mag gives the Mafia title 80% in its new October (yes, bloody October) issue - which is with subscribers now.

The game's major drawback, says Zone, is that it's an 'extremely linear driver and shooter'.

However, if you can get over that rather restrictive fact, there's plenty to enjoy for those nostalgic for the Cosa Nostra's days of US dominance.

The mag says that the dialogue is 'fine, and extremely well acted', adding that driving, 'as you'd expect from the former Illusion Software [2K Czech], is great'.

It continues: 'The collection of cars is great too - all timely models that damage so gently that you'll try to take care of them.'

All aspects of the game are covered in Zone's spectacular seven-page review - with more praise coming for the game's weapons and action sequences, despite a slightly 'cold' storyline.

It adds: 'Mafia II is 10 hours of driving, story and extremely competent gun action. Running at top specs, it looks stunning, and if there was a soundtrack album, I'd buy myself a copy.'

The October issue of PC Zone is in stores next week, and with subscribers today.

Mafia II is due for release on 360, PS3 and PC on August 27.

Source

Those are 2 y.o. screenshots. I bumped this thread to add the first review.

Maybe so, but the recent in game shots of seen still show that same insane amount of Bloom, though I have heard it isn't as prominent on the PC version.

10 hours? Extremely linear? That'll probably make me wait for a price drop/weekend deal, except the game is really, really, really, really good.

I got the impression that it wouldn't be a real open-world game like gta f.e and be more like Mafia 1 - story-driven with the city as a mere backdrop.

Kinda disappoint.

OXM review is out: 7/10

+Interesting and detailed world
+Good soundtrack
+Varied missions

-Boring characters
-Action and Car chases are a snooze fest

"which isn't to say the script is completely terrible, it will hold your attention - it just won't give anything back. its exactly the same with the driving and shooting. for all the hundreds of man hours that have gone into making Empire city, mafia's 2 missions feel a little drab. You're not quite driving the cars as much as dragging them through the city...and while the 3rd person based cover based shooting is perfectly satisfying, 95 percent of enemies will spawn run to a certain piece of cover and stay in the same position just popping up and down forever like a target at a funfair."

Hype...crushed....

But I guess i'll wait for the demo.

damn....good thing is wasn't all that hyped :|

This doesn't bode well. Then again, the first Mafia was kind of like an acquired taste anyway.

I'm getting it, but if not only just to walk in those classic streets, baby. I'm getting it when it's like $12 though, because I am [strike]stubborn as ****[/strike] poor.

Too many disappointments the last few years, way too many :(
/me focuses his hopes on LA Noire/the next GTA

Two average reviews? Meh. I'll wait for the demo and try it myself next week.

Also, losing points for being linear and having a cold story? Seriously? This is a Mafia game, not GTA in the 50's, it's not meant to be a sandbox game.

Rule #2 of video game reviews: The early reviews are often the highest.

Demo will be released later today.

PS3 North America: August 10, 4 - 6 PM PT / August 11, 12 AM – 2 AM GMT
PS3 International: August 11, 12:01 - 6 AM PT / August 11, 8 AM - 2 PM GMT
Xbox 360: August 10, 2 - 4 AM PT / August 10, 10 AM – 12 PM GMT
PC: August 10, 12 AM PT / August 10, 8 AM GMT

Awesome.
Can't wait to be unable to play it due to having a shitty computer. ;(

Ooooh, demo at midnight? That's awesome!

Hope the 360 demo goes up sooner rather than later(hour-wise), since my PC is too shitty to run this at decent-looking settings.

Rule #1 of video game reviews: Don't trust them, ESPECIALLY if they are from Gamespot...

Gamespot has to be the single worst review site I go to.

Their reviews always seem to come out like 2 weeks AFTER the game is released, meanwhile almost every other review site reviews the game a few days before release date.

I kind of like their reviews, but they're just so damn slow. The point of a review for me, is to help me decide my purchase BEFORE it is released. Only time I ignore reviews is when I cant afford to get the game at the time, and I wait till I have the money later or when its on sale.

Have to confess, I kinda like the look of Mafia 2. I remember the first one being ok. This one looks like a mix of GTA and Saboteur.

Hmm, may consider this one.

Oooh, nice surprise, I didn't know there would be a demo.

Will download it for the PC probably to see that it runs shitty and then I'll download via X360.

Played the demo, kind of expected disappointment.

Vehicle physics suck, the shooting parts are very static(mostly the AI).
The graphics aren't very classy, while it looks technically good it has a serious lack of style.

Performance is fine for me, FPS usually doesn't drop below 60(i7-860, 4GB, Radeon 5850). Noticed 2 things that gave me a lot more frames:
-Leave the Nvidia APEX/PhysX stuff off(for ATI users at least)
-Shut down all unneccesary programs, as Mafia 2 eats a lot of RAM

Back