Mafia 2.

EDIT: whoops, ignore me.

EDIT 2: Eh, might as well use this post. I just finished the game, and

Worst cliffhanger ever. I did not expect the game to end right there at all. Such a forced ending to leave room for a sequel. Definitely tainted the experience for me. I thought Mafia 2 was better above such shitty tricks.

EDIT: whoops, ignore me.

EDIT 2: Eh, might as well use this post. I just finished the game, and

Worst cliffhanger ever. I did not expect the game to end right there at all. Such a forced ending to leave room for a sequel. Definitely tainted the experience for me. I thought Mafia 2 was better above such shitty tricks.

One of the DLC's is called Joe's Adventure that'll be released in the future, maybe that's what'll tie up Joe's fate. Apart from not seeing what happened to Joe I actually quite liked the ending, bit abrupt but certainly not at the same place on the bad scale as Kane And Lynch 2.

One of the DLC's is called Joe's Adventure that'll be released in the future, maybe that's what'll tie up Joe's fate. Apart from not seeing what happened to Joe I actually quite liked the ending, bit abrupt but certainly not at the same place on the bad scale as Kane And Lynch 2.

I really doubt the DLC will be anything to do with the ending. Its probably just going to be the part where hes getting his half of the 55 grand, or the bit after when Falcone makes him that offer he was talking about.

I really doubt the DLC will be anything to do with the ending. Its probably just going to be the part where hes getting his half of the 55 grand, or the bit after when Falcone makes him that offer he was talking about.

Probably. I do hope they don't leave it at that though.

This game looks so outrageously bad.

It's actually pretty fun when you get into it. I found I played through the campaign much quicker as opposed to GTA 4, partly because the game is somewhat linear but mostly because the story and the cut scenes create a movie within a game. It took me a little under 12 hours to complete the entire game.

The soundtrack is entertaining and seeing as this is the music my parents grew up with I have a predisposition to liking the songs. The cars aren't much, but what do you expect for 1945-51? I think there is a total of 38 cars, a good amount of weapons, and the clothing you can buy ranges from typical stuff to suit/coat and hat combos which are epic.

Dislikes -> Maybe a bit too linear. Very few side missions and the frame rate dropped to the 10's at a few points. You don't get much in terms of your apartment/home but that doesn't bother me too much.

It's basically the game I was hoping it was going to be, I knew not to expect to see GTA 5 60 years ago. My favorite thing to do is, while donning an expensive suit and hat, rob the gun stores by kicking in the door, running in, and unloading on the old guy with the hilariously loud .38, best gun in the game.

I liked kicking in the door of the clothing store, unloading on all the patrons and workers, stealing a slick suit, running away, and then walking back in as the cops show up going "oh my, how horrible!"

Then gunning down the cops and stealing their cruiser.

I liked kicking in the door of the clothing store, unloading on all the patrons and workers, stealing a slick suit, running away, and then walking back in as the cops show up going "oh my, how horrible!"

Then gunning down the cops and stealing their cruiser.

Then driving back and parking the car and gunning down the tow truck driver as he comes to take the vehicle away, stealing his truck and driving off.

I thought the ending was as great as Half-life 2's ending. It's just as abrupt and leaves you wanting more unfortunately.

Eh, I didn't feel the same way really. I mean, HL2 ended right at the climax. The pacing built up to it's highest point in the game and it ended there. That makes more sense, and you could feel it coming. Mafia 2 on the other hand didn't build up much, I mean that mission didnt seem like the most climactic part of the game, but even worse was that after killing Falcone, they included a bit that brought the whole pace down again, ending it on a low note, while teasing the biggest climax that would have been in the game. I mean my thought process was "Oh, sweet the games not over" when Leo says its time to go celebrate, then we see Joe get taken away and I was like "Oh shit, finale time!" and then I'm ready to go bust some heads, aaaaand credits." Thats different than a cliffhanger, its just disappointing.

My god this game is slow moving.

Been trying to get through the story but it's hard to stay engaged when they got you ****in' driving everywhere to move boxes and clean toilets.

Yeah, the driving gets very tedious. Apart from the setting and storyline, i find this game pretty lackluster.

My god this game is slow moving.

Been trying to get through the story but it's hard to stay engaged when they got you ****in' driving everywhere to move boxes and clean toilets.

You've never played a Mafia game before have you?

Not more than 30 minutes of one apparently, that shit should have been done with in the first half hour.

You've never played a Mafia game before have you?

Nope.

And that stuff was so boring that it definitely felt like it took more than an hour. Just about ripped my hair out when I had to drive to all the gas stations in the city.

Game seems to be picking up now anyway. I'll see how it goes.

So far I'm up to chapter 4 and I'm loving it. The driving is awesome, especially when you follow the road rules like I do, it makes it all the more exciting when you get into a police chase or something because you aren't used to speeding around all the time.

As for the missions so far they've been great fun. I can't help but feel that the crate loading was a cheeky reference to the painstaking mission in Mafia 1 that involved lifting lots of crates.

I'm sorry I fail to see how that is even remotely funny.

BTW, I went back to Mafia 1 last night and tried doing the safecracker mission. My go just about every mechanic in this game is awful. They give you a baseball bat and tell you to get in quietly. I spy a guard, run up behind him (earlier the game tells you that a hit from behind will take out someone with one hit), twat him with my bat and he's still stood there. It takes another 8 hits of my bat to put him down by which time his friends have been alerted and I am dead. Ridiculous stealth mechanics that are broken required to do the mission. Brilliant. The game always was infuriating but now I realise that apart from the actual story the game just plain sucks. I then went back to Mafia 2.

Stemot, you have to hold the attack button down to charge a powerful hit for a KO, you learn this in the tutorial.

Beat it yesterday, played it on hard which was fun. I actually liked how it ended since I was expecting it to end much sooner.

And if they had you go after Joe at that point the game would just have gotten redundant.

Overall my favorite parts were the shooting, the atmosphere, and the suprisingly great story behind it. In many ways the shooting was on the same level as a good first person shooter, had a splinter cell feel in some ways. Collecting vintage playboys was a nice little bonus too.

Stemot, you have to hold the attack button down to charge a powerful hit for a KO, you learn this in the tutorial.

Well bugger me, don't know how I missed that, ta. Everything else I said about the other stuff about the game stands though. I do think that even with 1/3 of the content stripped for DLC the second game pisses all over the original in terms of missions and shooting and driving mechanics. Though it should being 8 years old.

Bam was complaining about all the driving in Mafia which is one of my main complaints with Far Cry 2. There was just way too much driving in that game.

Bam was complaining about all the driving in Mafia which is one of my main complaints with Far Cry 2. There was just way too much driving in that game.

I actually loved how characters would exchange dialogue while you were driving with them. To me that was a big improvement over Mafia 1's long silent drives to the mission destinations.

Driving around with Joe and the other guy while they were drunk was pretty entertaining.

The whole prison segment is awesome. Nice variety from the usual gameplay.

Oh god is that how the game ends? After Joe and I FSU in that observatory I thought it was time for us to get me a NEW GODDAMN HOUSE AT LEAST. Then I saw them take Joe the other direction and felt my revenge bones tingling. Then the credits rolled. Then son I am disappoint.

Overall I thought the game was okay. It spent a lot of time being boring as **** in the beginning, a lot of time just driving around for really trivial reasons. This better not be one of those things where they intend to finish the story via DLC like stemot suggested.

Oh god is that how the game ends? After Joe and I FSU in that observatory I thought it was time for us to get me a NEW GODDAMN HOUSE AT LEAST. Then I saw them take Joe the other direction and felt my revenge bones tingling. Then the credits rolled. Then son I am disappoint.

Overall I thought the game was okay. It spent a lot of time being boring as **** in the beginning, a lot of time just driving around for really trivial reasons. This better not be one of those things where they intend to finish the story via DLC like stemot suggested.

I hear ya man. It is pretty damn disappointing as a story if it ends there. First off, no way in hell would Vito sit back and let Joe die in that moment. Not after Joe just saved Vito in the Observatory. I believe seconds later, he would knock out the big guy in front of him and maybe shoot the driver, which would cause the car to crash just as Vito jumps out. At the same time, I believe Vito wouldn't be able to kill Leo in that moment. It's cliche sounding, but it's something close to what I would want to see.
As far as the game, I did immensely enjoy it. It was just too bad the game ended right when the story was really picking up. If it had say 5-10 more missions left then I would be overall satisfied with the story. Easily then the game would have gotten 9.5/10 out of me.

At the same time there is a big controversy about the game being released incomplete right now. Then there's the fact that the original Illusion Software guys, a good majority of them, left 2k during Mafia 2's development. That leaves me wondering if this is the actual Mafia 2 game that should have been released. No one really knows for sure, but people are finding codes in the game files that shows a lot of gameplay features were disabled.

In the end, I wanted the original Illusion Software development team to present to me Mafia 2 like they did with Mafia 1. I think they would have gone about releasing Mafia 2 differently than 2k. I also believe they wanted to make Mafia 2 more linear than what was stated in the 2k FAQ. But this is mostly speculation on my part.

About the Jimmy Vendetta DLC though. I wonder if 2k made up the bald guy or the original developers of Mafia 1. I mean really the guy looks like a ripoff of the Eidos Hitman character.

I wish Illusion Softworks had published their spy-game(Chameleon) in English.

Source? Sounds interesting if true.

You can find a lot of complaints about Mafia 2 at the 2k Forums.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83770

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83561

Pretty much it shows evidence of gameplay features and some missions cut out from Mafia 2. But most of it hasn't been justified as true I'm afraid. Still if you beaten Mafia 2, you get the feeling that the game was either rushed or incomplete.

Then the original writer of Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 posted up the petition for 2k to release the full game on his twitter account. He didn't sign it, but he hints that he's proud that fans are showing support.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/mafia2fullgame

http://twitter.com/danielvavra

It's quite controversial like I said. You can already see many has signed already. Crazy.

Back