Major Left 4 Dead Update Coming Very Soon?

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Kotaku got the word from Valve that they will be announcing a major update to SDK and Left 4 Dead downloadable content details for both PC and XBox 360 "very soon".[br]

Last month Valve's Chet Faliszek hinted in Kotaku's Podcast that a major Left 4 Dead update is planned and coming very soon. He also hinted that new content might open "Death Toll" and "Dead Air" in versus mode.[br]

The new content's announcement may be made as early as next week.

News of news of an update on the update.

Gimmeh mah SDK!

*Well, not me, but other people.*

About time... an announcement of an upcoming announcement which might give you the details of a future update. I guess that'll have to do for now...

There are like millions of things to fix in the game. Many of them would need like 5 mins of work to fix, but I suppose they want to make the update a big one, dump all the new content in, have Microsoft do its thing with it, and then release it simultaneously for both PC and XBox. But since Steam is such a great way of delivering small updates and fixes for the PC, I do wish they used it more often.

Why do we have to wait for a simultaneous release with the 360? Valve should just give the PC owners the patch as soon as it done, otherwise we have to wait for the 360 patch to go though it's certification process while we play this broken game. The bugs are game breaking and with Steam there is no excuse on why we haven't got a couple of fixes for them already. **** your DLC, fix the bloody game first.

I'm certain it won't be too long. But still Chet is renowned for making lots of press gaffs, the last notable one being the flamethrower addition to L4D prior to launch. He got a lot of stick for that in the Valve offices. The update is coming, and should already be here, if the 360 version wasn't getting a simultaneous update release.

Since they got back from xmas holiday breaks, I'm sure it's been the focus of their work. That...and the episode 3 teaser.

It is a little annoying that they are waiting to release the update simultaneously with the 360 (though knowing Valve it probably isn't even half finished yet!) but I feel as a PC owner that we should always get things first from Valve as we were their "original" fan base and the ones that have thrown money at them all these years, unlike the console owners who have just shunned them! Not that I really care, I just want it before the 360! :p
On another note, I hope its out this weekend as I'm off on holiday next week!

An update would be welcomed. Especially so that it is available to make a server private or password protected! :D

I hope they fix some things in Versus, as well as applying the idea of being a normal infected whilst waiting to respawn. Looks like this update will kick ass. :D

I hope some achievements are released aswell.
And all campaigns for versus would be great.

An update would be welcomed. Especially so that it is available to make a server private or password protected! :D

Make it friends only.

Anyways, I can't wait for this. The SDK is going to welcome so much awesome stuff. Great maps, and great mods.

I do make it friends only, but then people find my account through the various groups I'm in and join that way.

They also need a fix for it jerking on some dual core system like mine. it freezes up for around 5 seconds quite a bit. I have to fix this myself, by going to task manager and the process left4dead.exe and then having to set Afinity and disable CPU 1!

Please fix this valve! :(

All of us here know that "very soon" means exactly nothing. Could be tomorrow, could be in three weeks. And this is the announcement we're talking about, not the update.

Just say "Valve is planning an update, and we don't know when."

Just because they say very soon until an announcement on the new content, doesn't mean very soon on the new content itself. Just so people don't go shooting up the school when they find out we have to wait another month after the announcement before new content is actually released...

Small 2-5 minute movies detailing the lives of each of the survivors prior to the infection

I thought this game was just fine and needed the SDK? :p Yes, I do hope the announcement comes out mere ours away and maybe next week it comes out.

It's like before Christmas
we are gonna announce it!
:D then last week
we are going to announce it!
:| Now it's again
we are going to announce it!
and at this point everybody is like
JUST ****ING ANNOUNCE THE ANNOUNCEMENT ALREADY! HOW HARD IS THAT?!?!
:angry:
They also use the weekly updates for BS advertising and the blog update for stuff we already know. Plus if they can't meet a release date for an announcement, like their games, then that is really sad.

I do notice that whenever an update comes out though, Chet plays L4D, but it says he doesn't play on a server. Usually an update comes out after he does this like he's testing the patch. Last night he did that I noticed on my friend list.

*Idk why Chet got blasted on the flamethrower thing too. Also Chet was blasted on the Kotaku podcast for trying to toss aside the movie maker function: http://kotaku.com/5026009/left-4-dead-may-get-machinima-maker-post-launch He was basically like "one thing at a time guys and that will never happen anyways".

I gotta admit, after still enjoying the introductory movie to this very date, I'd love to see some more of the sick stuff.

I wish they'd just skip the cinematics, new content and all that jazz for now, and just fix the game breaking exploits like instaspawning, doublespeed melee, spawning AI hunters and the Infected moving props to block the Survivors' progress.

I feel kinda bad that I'm glad the update is coming out for the 360 at the same time.

I hope some achievements are released aswell.
And all campaigns for versus would be great.

All campaigns are available in VS. I played my first VS on Dead Air. I'm sure it's posted somewhere on here how to do that......Anybody?

All campaigns are available in VS. I played my first VS on Dead Air. I'm sure it's posted somewhere on here how to do that......Anybody?
Only No Mercy and Blood Harvest are available for VS mode as of the time of me posting this. No update has been released, so did you modify the game in order to do this?

She probably is talking about when the game first released. All the levels were available to play, yes?

I played my first VS only about 3 weeks ago. I know it was in December. I don't know how to modify the game. I'm just a user....not a programmer.

My kid is really good when it comes to programming/writing/designing games, websites....etc. And even he didn't believe me when I told him about playing my first VS game on Dead Air. He told me it wasn't possible.

Then a couple of days later my steam friend that had walked me through (on coms) how to play as a "special infected" posted a link on his steam group of how to play ALL campaigns in VS.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post outside links to sites that show "hacks" or whatever it's called. So I won't put that here. But, if anyone wants to know how he did it I can direct them to his posting.

Y'all know how to contact a fellow HL2.netter......

I hope they fix the "never getting expert campaign achievement" bug

p.s. no coloured words, as far as I remember.

Yeah you can do that Ms. Red but it's a server mod and those servers are incredibly buggy. I do remember we tried a HL2.net game on Dead Air once and it was horrible. You can constantly make people fall off a ledge as a Smoker and there was tons of hiding spots all over the map. It was essentially really easy for the Infected. I don't even want to know what would happen with a Tank.

He would pillage, plunder, rape and burn. To the EXTREMEEEE.

They really need to fix that bug where the teams/map/campaign is switched when the map changes

I do make it friends only, but then people find my account through the various groups I'm in and join that way.

They also need a fix for it jerking on some dual core system like mine. it freezes up for around 5 seconds quite a bit. I have to fix this myself, by going to task manager and the process left4dead.exe and then having to set Afinity and disable CPU 1!

Please fix this valve! :(

I used to have to do that in the L4D Demo, but since the full version came out there's an option somewhere, I think in 'video options', something like "multicore support". Disable it and the stuttering will go away.

Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?