Many people in merc's valve trip thread were talking about the size of an m4

staddydaddy

Reaction score
Lots of people were saying it was too small or the hands werent right and "well if you shot one in real life...." types stuff. I thought I'd show yall a picture of when i got to shoot my friends m4. This is my dad shooting it. It's relatively small and EXTREMELY loud. Notice at the end of the barrel there is a blow back muzzle. If you're standing around the persone firing it's like BOOM and you feel the shot and the blow back ALOT. My dad's a real idiot for not wearing any ear protection. If you want to know anything else about it (keep in mind I'm not an expert on the gun) just ask

Attachments

• m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 609
omfg, it's tiny :O. i expected it to be a BIT bigger. i know it isnt an m16a1 or anything, and that it isnt the biggest gun in the world, but jesus. thats insane.

I knew people were gonna say stuff about the size, but dude, its a carbine. I thinks its perfect, if you like guns and know atleast a bit about them. Nice work on the new models VALVe!!!

Farfege said:
I knew people were gonna say stuff about the size, but dude, its a carbine. I thinks its perfect

Yeah I think it's a great size. The m16 looks to huge and gauky compared to an m4.

How did I get to shoot it? Well it's a m4a3 (a semi automatic version of the m4a1) everything is the same except the reciever (that being it doesnt shoot full auto). It's my friends gun I'm not sure if you anyone can get an m4a3. I think his dad has some special permit that allows him to purchase higher restricted weapons. The picture was taken at a local shooting range on a 100m range.

The M4 skin I saw in mercs dust pic looked pretty close to the same size as the 1.6 M4.

rofl awsome

its like a tree trunk holdin onto the gun :/ veins the size of fingers

The latest experience in the Afghanistan showed that the M4 has some flaws. First of all, the shorter barrel commands the lower bullet velocities, and this significantly decreased the effective range of the 5.56mm bullet. Second, the M4 barrel and the forend rapidly overheats. Third, the shortened barrel resulted in the shortened gas system, which works under greater pressures, than in M16A2 rifle. This increases the rate of fire and produces more stress on the moving parts, decreasing the reliability. While adequate as a Personal Defense Weapon for the non-infantry troops (vehicle crews, clerks, staff officers etc), M4A1 is, by some accounts, less than ideal for the Special Operations troops, at least in its present state. The idea of the complete re-arming of the US Army with the M4 as a money-saving measure, also is somewhat dubious.

m4's are illegal for private use unless you have it in semi-automatic mode

i think the complaints of having the m4 being too small on your HUD is vastly due to the lack of illusion given by the weapon. by illusion i mean the intensity and 'closeness' u feel with the rifle. having the m4 near your face (larger on screen) would be more of an intimate relationship with a firearm. because its a first person perspective maybe people expect to see the weapon closer to their bodies instead of the shitty bf1942 style. its just speculation. i wouldnt care either way, its appropriate cuz this game is run-and-gun anyways so u could run firing from the hip ^^

If it's not a colt then it's probably not named an m4. An example is Rock River Arms (my favorite) m4 clone is called an "Entry Tactical" rifle. Bushmaster (which is what I think your shooting because the muzzlebreak looks like a mini y compensator) calls there clone an "M4 type" rifle and colt is currently trying to sue them for it. Also the military uses a M4A2 not an A1. There are a few minor differences like the addition of a forward assist and changes to the rear sight in the A2. Oh, and civilians can own fully automatic weapons depending on what state you live in, but due to the machine gun ban in 1986 all civilian owned machine guns must be made in 1986 or before. You just have to get a form from the ATF and the police chief in your county must approve and sign it (alot of them will). From there you must wait about 90 days while they perform state and nation wide extensive background checks (fbi background checks i might add). When your approved you pay a $200 dollar transfer tax and the rifle is yours. It is legally registered to only you and can only be transferred to somebody else using the above methods. The problem is since the ban was enacted in 1986 supply is very small. This has made prices for TRANSFERABLE (before 1986) machine guns sky rocket. For example an full auto ak47 that cost $500 in the 80's now goes for about $11,000.00 in america unless your law enforcement and then you can get a new one for $300-$1000 depending on what your buying. This law was completely useless and only further restricts law abiding citizens from enjoying there hobby. In fact there has been only ONE crime ever committed with a LEGALLY REGISTERED machine gun since machine guns became regulated in 1934. This crime was commited by a cop when he killed an informant with a mac-10 or mac-11 (i can't remember which).

One more rambling from your local gun nut. The rifle in the above pic looks like it has a collapsable stock. It doesn't collapse however (it is pinned in place) because of the assault weapon ban in 1994. Also affected by this ban is there is no flash hider on this rifle. Instead there is a muzzle break (staddydaddy called it a blow-back muzzle) and while they reduce recoil they make any rifle at least twice as loud along with emmitting lots of felt percussion. Bayonet lugs are also one of the evil features banned to prevent anymore of those "drive by" bayonetting's :rolleyes:. Hopefully this ban not be renewed for before it is scheduled to expire on Sept 13, 2004. If it expires I'm gonna get a new ak47 with all the "banned goodies" including a bulgarian underfolding stock (that's not pinned in place) and an ak74 with a sidefolding stock (not pinned) :cheers:!!

SIGBastard, dont get your hopes up dude...
You can always count on america's retarded polititians to screw over everything :) :bounce:

I thought there was a gun fight involving two heavily armoured guys, armed with AK-47's with drum magazines whilst robbing a bank in LA. They ****ed over the cops pretty hard, but no fatalities (aside from one of the gunmen) fortunately. The Cop show I was watching made it out that the AK's were fully auto, but I guess they could have been semi.

Just googled it, North Hollywood Bank Robbery Shootout, haven't confirmed if they had full autos but still... they had more firepower than any piggy had that day, which is ridiculous.

Oh, legally registered, my bad, but I'll leave this here cos it's a pretty cool story :)

dassbaba said:
m4's are illegal for private use unless you have it in semi-automatic mode

READ. It's an m4a3. semi auto....

and i am sure that it is an m4 colt. believe me i checked when i shot it.

Cabb, I'm glad you noticed the legally registered part. I wasn't trying to argue that there aren't crimes commited with machine guns. On the contrary machine guns from the black market whether it be from illegal imports or law enforcement only guns do end up in the wrong hands. Someone who goes through all the trouble of buying a legally transferable machine gun probably only does so for their hobby. If you think about it you wouldn't want to commit a crime with a gun that is registered to you, and trust me once you by a class 3 gun (full auto is class 3) your probably going to be watched by uncle sam. Additionally a criminal couldn't legally attain one by law anyways. There's no way they would shell out the cash it takes to get a legal one if they could when they could just buy one out of a trunk that isn't traced to them for a fraction of the price. Man my sentence structure has been pretty bad today. Sorry. If I cared I would correct stuff.

staddydaddy said:
READ. It's an m4a3. semi auto....

and i am sure that it is an m4 colt. believe me i checked when i shot it.
I'll take your word for it, but that really doesn't look like a standard colt muzzlebreak. It is the spitting image of a mini-y comp bushmaster break. It could be a colt lower with a bushmaster upper. The lower is the only thing that has a logo on it usually. AR15 uppers and lowers from different brands are completely interchangable. Even if it was bushmaster there's nothing wrong with that. Bushmaster's are 100% within military spectations. Basically they do everthing a colt can for about $200 less. I have a Bushmaster AR15, but my favorite brand is Rock River Arms. RRA rifle's aren't even within military spectation's but they're fit and finish are excellent. They come with a match grade 2 stage trigger and are guaranteed to shoot 1" groups at 100 yds. Only drawback in my opinion is they don't come with a chrome lined barrel as one would within military specs would.

This is kinda off topic but oh well. I actually much prefer ak's over ar's because of there simplicity, ruggedness, and utter reliability. Alot of people don't think ak's are very accurate, but this isn't really true. Given a quality AK such as a Bulgarian Sam-7 you can get a ak that will group 2" at 100 yds (they are even backed up with this as a gurantee from the factory). Now if you go with something cheaper such as a romanian sar-1 then expect groups of about 4" which isn't really that great, but still adequate for a battle rifle. One of the major reasons people think ak accuracy is bad is because of the ammo they use. Most people shoot Wolf 7.62X39mm out of ak47's and wolf 5.45X39mm out of there ak74's. This stuff is really inconsistent and contributes to really bad groupings. Barnaul is much better ammo and is about the same price, but will allow you to see the rifles true abilities. I know I'm just rambling so I'll quit now, except for one more thing which I'll post another reply.

Last thing I wanted to say is due to my favoring of AK's I am selling my AR15 to fund a special addition ak74 that was offered for ar15.com members. The ar15 I'm selling is an A3 Bushmaster Dissipator. The Dissipator is an interesting rifle in that it has a carbine length barrel with full length hand guards. The actual functional gas block is beneath the handguards. The gas block on the front sight post is non-functional as it wouldn't work correctly that close to the muzzle on a carbine. It comes with the manual, bushmaster hardcase, tactical sling with quick release, original sling, hogue grip, original usgi grip, factory 10 rd mag (sold all the 30 rd mags already) and papers. Price is $650 plus shipping. It must be shipped to a ffl holder. You must send me a copy of the ffl from whomever It is sent to. Email me at [email protected] if interested. Here are some pics:
PIC 1
PIC 2
PIC 3
That's my wife holding it and she was about to go to bed, which is why she is covered with a blanket.

crushenator 500 said:
omfg, it's tiny :O. i expected it to be a BIT bigger. i know it isnt an m16a1 or anything, and that it isnt the biggest gun in the world, but jesus. thats insane.

Yea, it's not a HUGE weapon. My friend has an M14, and I thought that was a large rifle. But when I saw it, and shouldered it, it was actually pretty small (but it had about a foot long retractable bayonet, all kinds of sexy).

I got the opportunity the weekend before last to fire an MP5/10 (10mm version of the MP5), and the kick really did surprise me somewhat on full auto...but the aimpoint surprised me even more, what you see is what you hit my friend.

HeadcrabOnMyAss said:
Yea, it's not a HUGE weapon. My friend has an M14, and I thought that was a large rifle. But when I saw it, and shouldered it, it was actually pretty small (but it had about a foot long retractable bayonet, all kinds of sexy).

wait, your sure that was a m14? the only guns i know of with a retractable bayonet are the M44 and the SkS (both russian) and some japanese rifle of whose name i have forgotten...

Back