Max Payne 2. An Example

VirusType2

Reaction score
Well like I said the other day, I bought Max Payne 2. (again)

This time I bought it for the PC, instead of the excellent XBox version.

The PC ver. is that much better. It rocks Rockstar.

This is an example of how to make the best games ever made.

The levels are totally full of 3D models that move with realistic physics. The reason they were able to have such a perfect engine is becuase of something I like to remind any programers that are listening Make everything squared. Don't try to make anything rounded or circular unless you absolutely have to. This way when you do have to make a 3D model have round contours you will have plenty of resources to make it that much more round.

Perfect.
- MaxPayne 2. Score - 10 [ultra violent] rated M

If you have forgotten, start a new game from scratch and just play through it on the normal or hard skill level. The game is so perfectly executed.

Rockstar's MMORPG

Rockstar,

Now give us a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game [MMORPG]with this engine[simulated 3D / physics program based on Max Payne 2] but with City-Scapes and Rural Environments.
Perfect aiming + Perfect graphics + Perfect Sound/Music + Perfect game engine = Perfect for a MMORPG.

To bad Rockstar is going with Grand Theft Auto for thier MMORPG they are working on. I hope they addopt the aim system of Max Payne

I was going to buy max payne 2 today, but I have a question. should i play through the first one before i buy the second one and play it? also it comes bundled with Mafia. is that a good game?!

Darkknight,

The first Max Payne was most excellent.

However part 2 has improved upon everything with the exception of possibly the story.

Part 1 Is still graphically very good - Its a few years old.

I picked up Max Payne 2 used for $7. Im sure that you won't find it any cheaper than that for a long time.

I played Mafia for an hour and didn't really get into it.

It seems like a good game but I didn't feel like it was worth buying or playing unless you don't have anything better to play.

MP2 has an even better story than MP1.

But yes, it'd be best to play Max Payne then buy Max Payne 2. They are quite possibly my favorite games ever. Amazing stories and amazingly fun gameplay. Perfect execution. And they should be pretty cheap now too. Enjoy.

DeusExMachinia said:
MP2 has an even better story than MP1.

But yes, it'd be best to play Max Payne then buy Max Payne 2. They are quite possibly my favorite games ever. Amazing stories and amazingly fun gameplay. Perfect execution. And they should be pretty cheap now too. Enjoy.
No offense, but the first ones storyline was a piece of shit. Satanic Mafia on Drugs? What?

Too short?

Yea 2 wasn't as long as Max Payne 1

But Its always fun to play all the way through the game again once in a while.

The sound effects are uber. And bullet-time is for some sweet slo-mo finishers

Try a harder skill level?

Darkknighttt said:
I was going to buy max payne 2 today, but I have a question. should i play through the first one before i buy the second one and play it? also it comes bundled with Mafia. is that a good game?!
thats interesting i decided to buy mp2 and mafia together 1 day out of sheer boredom as they were part of a store deal(2 for 1) and i wasnt disappointed,their both great games,mp2 looks fantastic now particurly with 16af and 6aa on and is great fun,the physics are great too and bullettime 2.0 obviously

mafia has a great storyline and is cool too if quite tough,i actually got hooked on mafia when i bought it even though mp2 was the game i wanted to get most,i just picked mafia coz i heard how good it was and needed another game to get the deal,mafia looks pretty good too still

and no you dont need to play mp1 to understand mp2

I'm not a huge Max Payne fan. Both games were certainly enjoyable, but bored me a little and got a tad too repetitive. Controlling Max with a keyboard is also rather clumsy (this is one game that's crying out for decent analogue movement)

The cheesey b-movie style is good fun, the graphics are great, and it runs well on most pcs. Preferred the bullet time in MP1 though.

I thought MP2 took itself far too seriously at times. MP1 was kinda cheesy, but in a tongue-in-cheek way, but for MP2, the dialogue/monologue was unashamedly hammy and seemed entirely oblivious.

To be perfectly honest, I wanted there to be a huge twist at the end of the first one whereby Max was actually just a V-junkie in some paranoid schizophrenic delusion on a self-created warpath. That would've been amazing.

I loved both games, they're just like you say perfectly executed. And the effects and sounds in MP2 is still by far the best.

You should see some ragdoll mods by the way, some of them actually make the physics more realistic and awesome than HL2 for instance.

el Chi said:
I thought MP2 took itself far too seriously at times. MP1 was kinda cheesy, but in a tongue-in-cheek way, but for MP2, the dialogue/monologue was unashamedly hammy and seemed entirely oblivious.

To be perfectly honest, I wanted there to be a huge twist at the end of the first one whereby Max was actually just a V-junkie in some paranoid schizophrenic delusion on a self-created warpath. That would've been amazing.

Who says he isn't? At the IGN boards, we were having a big discussion that maybe Max had killed his wife because he had been injected with V and thats why he could slow down time.

And as for the dialogue, Max Payne 1 and 2 are film noirs. They're supposed to have comic book dialogue with bleak setting and cynical characters. And how did Max Payne 1's story suck? Most film noirs do have a bigger conspiracy going on within them. In the Sin City comics, it goes as high up as the Senator of Sin City, even Clergymen, trying to keep the low down on their disturbing operations. Max's wife found out about Valkyr and Aesir was making it and selling it to the Mafia for them to sell off. Classic Film Noir twist. Nothing stupid about it. Oh and only Jack Lupino's son was the satanic lunatic...

The True Matrix Mod for MP1 was excellent - did they make a second?

DeusExMachinia said:
Who says he isn't? At the IGN boards, we were having a big discussion that maybe Max had killed his wife because he had been injected with V and thats why he could slow down time.
My point exactly.

DeusExMachinia said:
And as for the dialogue, Max Payne 1 and 2 are film noirs. They're supposed to have comic book dialogue with bleak setting and cynical characters.
No, I know that, but in MP1 you could take it nicely with a pinch of salt because it was obviously supposed to be emulating that style in an ironic sense. But I never got that feeling with the second one - it really shouldn't have been taking itself as seriously as it did.
Not that the game was bad.

Darkknighttt said:

Mafia is a kick ass game get that bundle

I fired up max payne2 last night ..such a great game ..best combat in a game I've played in a long time. I bought it for $10 a few months back and I still replay certain areas. Anyone recommend any good mods?

CptStern said:
I fired up max payne2 last night ..such a great game ..best combat in a game I've played in a long time. I bought it for $10 a few months back and I still replay certain areas. Anyone recommend any good mods?
cinema 2.0 beta,great mod probably the best tbh made me run through the whole game again recently it was so much fun with the new weapons,sounds music etc,thats the best no other good 1s spring to mind,the upcoming equilibrium tc looks good

also a huge mp fan here!!! loved both games...sure people complained they were a little short but you love every minute. If they made it longer, couldnt it make it boring and take away from all the action...

Yo Virus.

Max Payne isn't developed by Rockstar, they just publish it. The developer is called Remedy and they're based in Europe I believe.

At the end of the credtis it says "Max Payne's journey will continue through the night" so i guessing there is going to be a third
Actually i think its already in development

I see we're having a discussion of high quality games here. :thumbs:
Max Payne 1 and 2 are indeed sweet games. I personally believe they are both equally great but MP1 is in terms of game play and MP2 in terms of graphics and the added Havoc Physics.

And Mafia was indeed an awesome game too. I loved the story. Pretty impressive face design on the characters too.

i also forgot to add to my post that: yes you should play MP1 before 2...DO A MARATHON \o/ :D

Ranga said:
are the asshole physics as good as hl2? :D

MP2 and HL2 are the only games i have played that seem to have realistic physics/ragdoll in them.

A third game is going to have to be something extremely special and sufficiently different from the first two for it to be anything other than a diversion.

Warbie said:
I'm not a huge Max Payne fan. Both games were certainly enjoyable, but bored me a little and got a tad too repetitive. Controlling Max with a keyboard is also rather clumsy (this is one game that's crying out for decent analogue movement)

The cheesey b-movie style is good fun, the graphics are great, and it runs well on most pcs. Preferred the bullet time in MP1 though.

I disagree.

The keyboard controll is absolutely perfect. Easier than Xbox controlls.

Yea it runs fast as hell. powerfull 3D graphics never lose a frame.

The bullet time is much better in every way in part 2. IMO

I don't think it's cheesy, but the game is so good, i never want to watch the comic strip style movies. The voice overs that Max does when you try to open doors and stuff is the best out of any game. "locked. I'll need to .. "

Max Payne 2 has the best physics of any game

Stormy said:
MP2 and HL2 are the only games i have played that seem to have realistic physics/ragdoll in them.

IN max payne 2, when you fire bullets all into a guy finishing him, he will fly backwards into some shelves and knock everything off the shelves on top of him, etc.

The physics in Max Payne 2 are the best of any game known to man.

Granted HL2 has awesome water physics.

I think MP2's rag dolls are alot more realistic in the way that they fall and react realisticly to objects they fall/fly backwards into, also the objects the bad guys fly into react realisticly.

The main thing here is the sound. every sound effect from this kind of Havok is phenomenal.

Also when guys get shot they don't have the same scream of pain every time! sweet!

VirusType2 said:
IN max payne 2, when you fire bullets all into a guy finishing him, he will fly backwards into some shelves and knock everything off the shelves on top of him, etc.

The physics in Max Payne 2 are the best of any game known to man.

Granted HL2 has awesome water physics.

I think MP2's rag dolls are alot more realistic in the way that they fall and react realisticly to objects they fall/fly backwards into.

Payne 2's graphics better than HL2? Please.....

Also, the ragdolls in Payne 2 aren't realistic, flying backwards 15 ft. from 3 9mm bullets in the arm does not happen in real life. Although the ragdolls do serves the game well because they look great flying around in bullet-time, HL2 has more "realistic" ragdolls.

DarkStar said:
Payne 2's graphics better than HL2? Please.....

Also, the ragdolls in Payne 2 aren't realistic, flying backwards 15 ft. from 3 9mm bullets in the arm does not happen in real life. Although the ragdolls do serves the game well because they look great flying around in bullet-time, HL2 has more "realistic" ragdolls.

I didnt' say Paynes graphics were better than HL2, HL2 has higher rez textures If im not mistaken.

However the ragdolls are buggy in HL2 and they constantly clip objects (the rags fall into objects.)
example: the enemies bodies fall so that half thier body is inside a wall or barrel, whereas in MP2 they would react realistic to hitting the wall or barrel, and the barrel would fall over.. (way better than HL2 please)

The moving is still a little crappy tho. It's a shame analogue wasn't implemented on the XBox version. The reason that feels poor is because you're using digital movement on an analogue stick (which nearly always sucks)

Now had Max Payne 1 & 2 had full analogue control (on par with say Mario 64 or Golden Eye) it would have benefited greatly.

It did the job - but not particulalry well.

(I dunno how you can think it wasn't cheesy either - the cheese in MP is the best bit :))

I hear what you are saying but the game is scripted so that Payne is not walking, he is slaming doors wide open as you rush into them. Perfect. Payne is a badass.

Max Payne 2 was pretty boring. It's essentially the first game with better graphics and physics that do nothing. I loved the first game. I didn't even finish the second one.

Also, what was with the new bullet-time? I never understood why it was meant to be better than the 1st one's. I found it way too fast.

Jangle said:
yes you should. Mafia is my favourite game ever.

definitely get it! It's great, and in my top ten games of all time.

StardogChampion said:
Max Payne 2 was pretty boring. It's essentially the first game with better graphics and physics that do nothing. I loved the first game. I didn't even finish the second one.

Also, what was with the new bullet-time? I never understood why it was meant to be better than the 1st one's. I found it way too fast.

The first Max Payne blew me away. I had never seen anything quite like it.

It was basically the coolest thing to ever happen to video games, right along with GTA.

It took out all the nerdiness out of playing a video game - something you don't have to hide from your GF. Not saying that a game has to be mature to be manly, in fact I noticed girls love Waverace - if you put the stick in thier hand they will have a blast.

Max Payne 2 is just a greatly improved engine and all new levels

Max Payne 2 is on my top 10 for sure. Beat it on hardest setting (dead on arrival?) and you get second ending

I reinstalled it again today, the ragdolls (while not as anatomically correct as HL2) are a lot of fun to blast around - waited for a guy to come round the corner, shotgun shell to the head, reacted very realistically but also in a cool hollywood way :D

I love this game!

Back