Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain E3 Trailer

I'm not a longtime MGS fan, and Ground Zeroes is my only MGS. But I'm pretty confident in saying that MGSV will be Game of the Year by a mile. Too hyped for this. I don't think even Fallout 4 will beat this out, and that looks incredible.

Such a terrible title for a game.

Even if they dropped the word "The" from the start it would immediately be 7.238 times better. "MGS: Phantom Pain" is much stronger than "MGS: The Phantom Pain".

Even if they dropped the word "The" from the start it would immediately be 7.238 times better. "MGS: Phantom Pain" is much stronger than "MGS: The Phantom Pain".
Why? Considering the themes and background of the game, it makes sense. What's terrible about it? It's not like it's cringeworthy or anything.

I don't get this complaint, given it refers to loss of limbs and loss is the theme of the game, besides race and language. After playing the prologue, the subtitle gains a lot more significance.

After my time flying a helicopter into Afghanistan blasting Hall and Oates' Maneater over the loudspeaker, I've found game of the century.

If you pay very close attention you might see that I was criticising a part of the title that didn't include the words "Phantom Pain" in that post so both of your replies are total non-sequiturs.

Of course dodgy naming is par for the course in MGS games.

Anyway I'm sure MGS: Spooky Itch is a great cardboard box simulator ;)

If you pay very close attention you might see that I was criticising a part of the title that didn't include the words "Phantom Pain" in that post so both of your replies are total non-sequiturs.

Of course dodgy naming is par for the course in MGS games.

Anyway I'm sure MGS: Spooky Itch is a great cardboard box simulator ;)

I got that you said something about "The Phantom Pain" being an awful title compared to "Phantom Pain", but I was confused as to why that made any difference in your opinion of the name.

You opened by saying that "it's a terrible title for a game". You then said "even if they dropped 'The' it would be better, and a stronger title", but that doesn't explain what your main issue with the title is, unless that one word somehow ruins the entire name for you. What you're trying to say isn't making much sense at all to me, I'm afraid.

Metal Gear Solid is overrated tripe? Who would've thought it.

I miss when there were more members active, now game threads are just filled with people with terrible taste shitting on things that are popular.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is a terrible title. If they dropped "Metal Gear Solid V" from the title it would immediately be ten times as good, because why should a Metal Gear game inexplicably be open-world?

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is a terrible title. If they dropped "Metal Gear Solid V" from the title it would immediately be ten times as good, because why should a Metal Gear game inexplicably be open-world?
10/10

I miss when there were more members active, now game threads are just filled with people with terrible taste shitting on things that are popular.
If your comment was talking about me and Nick, I must also say I plan on buying the game soon for PS4, because I liked every other MGS I've played (2 through 4). I just find Mack's review hilarious because hes so confused as someone who's never played a MGS game before.

You opened by saying that "it's a terrible title for a game". You then said "even if they dropped 'The' it would be better, and a stronger title", but that doesn't explain what your main issue with the title is, unless that one word somehow ruins the entire name for you. What you're trying to say isn't making much sense at all to me, I'm afraid.

It's just better with a zero article rather than the definite article. It's English, innit.

"The" Phantom Pain makes it specific, if you leave it off you have an indefinite reference which is more intriguing as there is more implication that it can be referring to multiple things.

On the other hand (dohoho) the zero article can seem kind of pretentious given that Snake quite obviously has a prosthetic arm. We know which phantom pain it's referring to. Then the later revelation of THE Phantom Pain referring also to themes in the story is a neat little thing, which would otherwise not occur with the zero article.

If your comment was talking about me and Nick, I must also say I plan on buying the game soon for PS4, because I liked every other MGS I've played (2 through 4). I just find Mack's review hilarious because hes so confused as someone who's never played a MGS game before.
Nah, not you. Should have been specific, sorry. I actually enjoyed that video and I get people who have gripes with the game, this is my personal game of the year and it has a good bit of flaws I could go into in detail, but it was directed at Nick because he acts like his taste in game is holier than thou.

On the other hand (dohoho) the zero article can seem kind of pretentious given that Snake quite obviously has a prosthetic arm. We know which phantom pain it's referring to. Then the later revelation of THE Phantom Pain referring also to themes in the story is a neat little thing, which would otherwise not occur with the zero article.
YEP. My huge gripe tho, relating to this, is there is a big important chunk that is missing, which feels like an unintentional/intentional phantom pain, where you can feel something is there, but it is gone. That phantom pain being AN ENTIRE GODDAMN CHAPTER AND THE FINAL RESOLUTION OF A MAJOR PLOT POINT THAT IS A 30% COMPLETE CUTSCENE WITH CONCEPT ART FILTERED THROUGH IN A 15 MINUTE VIDEO.

That said, the game is amazing. It has flaws, but it is well worth it for the amount of time you get out of it. It has been 17 days and I have only hit 27% completion and still having fun.

oh, and just for clarification for those who got the true ending or don't give a shit the cut content concerns
Venom Snake, the body double of Big Boss, dealing with a child Liquid Snake, Eli, and Tretij Rebenok, a child Psycho Mantis, in the aftermath of them and the child soldiers stealing Metal Gear Sahelanthropus and infecting an island with the english vocal parasites, being the finale to the game, supposedly before the true ending to the game

Last edited:
It's just better with a zero article rather than the definite article. It's English, innit.

"The" Phantom Pain makes it specific, if you leave it off you have an indefinite reference which is more intriguing as there is more implication that it can be referring to multiple things.
I kinda get this. There are multiple things in the game that are a phantom pain.

Still easily one of the games of the year.

Story was weak, but gameplay was top notch. One of the best-feeling games ever. It's hard to describe, but they nailed everything about the gameplay and PC controls feel great.

Back