Metro: Last Light

FrostedxB

Tank
Reaction score
http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/...ur-underground-future-never-looked-so-bright/

“We want to keep everything that was great about the first game and that our fans loved,” Beynon explained. “We’re not going to westernize it or dumb it down. The design philosophy isn’t turn everything up to 11. We want to maintain and preserve that unique soul and spirit, that Eastern European perspective. We want this to appeal to the more cerebral gamer. We want it to be a more slow paced affair, and we’re going to preserve those moments of horror and exploration and the gameplay mechanics that reward the more investigative player.”

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/...-future-never-looked-so-bright/#ixzz1OBAoX7Bt

metro-last-light-screenshots1.jpg

metro-last-light-screenshots.jpg

Wonderful. The first Metro was wonderful, even if it was a bit buggy. I wonder if they'll catch the feel of the book better.. that going from a small community to traveling with no knowledge of what you'll find.

I hated the feel of the singleplayer, but the engine is pretty phenomenal. I'm glad they're adding MP this time.

Could be interesting with MP I suppose, but it's really all about the SP for me.

i played through this recently and absolutely adored it. it has an atmosphere that the recent fallout games only wish they could create, though obviously unfair to compare the two. still, loved it.

I loved all of Metro 2033 except the bloody gas mask glitch thing bloody bloody, and this looks like it's improving on the balls-hard stealth sections. They're going to have to convince me that the style lends itself to multiplayer, though.

ADDENDUM: Do you think you'll still be able to honk the horn on the vehicle sections? Being able to do that whilst mowing down the future-nazis made my day.

i'll maybe keep an eye on it but i wasnt a big fan of the first really =/

The first game was amazing. JUST NO DAMN AMOEBAS THIS TIME. Also, more optional stealth sections. I love me some optional stealth sections.

And altenate routes. Being able to skip sneaking past the frontline by listening in on people made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Hope the faithful Helsing makes a return. Me and that gun became best of friends in that game.

I liked the first. The AI was pretty crap but the atmosphere was nice. More of the same with better combat please.

I beat 2033 in 800x600 and lowest settings because that's the only way it was playable. With my new rig I'm getting smooth sailing @ full blast and 1680x1050. It's like holy **** tits, I wonder how they'll improve on this already rapetastic engine.

on part of me is saying: are we sure this isn't just dlc, because it looks almost identical

the other part of me is saying: that's good, they might of followed through on their word that they are changing up the gameplay a ton and aren't bothered to change much else of the game: the visuals, animations, lighting and environments were great to begin with anyway.

so, cool i guess.

From what I've been reading we play as a new character and the Metro is at civil war. Not necessarily a sequel to 2033 but not a dlc either.

I read it was still Artyom, now a Ranger, and taking place shortly after 2033.

This does look pretty great. The set-piece of fighting over and around the Russian/German front-lines, suspended on rail tracks, in the absolute darkness, was probably one of my most memorable FPS experiences in years

Finished my first run, got the bad ending. One of the main things I screwed up was killing bad humans...you're supposed to only knock them out to get those moral points. Oh well, time for another run through.

So how is the game now that it's out?

Better than the first in every aspect. The voice acting is great, especially the English which is much better because the enemies aren't shouting "Die, shithead!" every 2 seconds in a fight. The Russian sounds fine but they don't have subtitles for anything but the very critical dialogue (so almost none of the side chatter, even from the important characters). From the very, very limited Russian I know of, the subtitles don't even seem to match either, it seems to be a direct script of the English chatter. While the Russian seems to be different almost entirely (though I would hope the context is the same for the most part).

The graphics are great, if you're able to max it out like me, the thing that will truly test your system is SSAA which basically renders the game at a resolution multitudes higher than what you've selected and downscales it to fit your screen for what is supposedly better quality. If you played the last game, I recommend just starting this off in one of the Ranger modes (I'd start with easy, so you can still see what your secondary item is without having to guess), it's truly a more immersive experience.

Agreed with Deathmaster.

Great game, with some seriously tense moments that feel so unique. Something about looking through a gas mask that makes it feel like a unique game too. That constant breathing, fantastic audio as you hear your filter running out and your breathing getting heavier, like your sucking through a straw almost.

Tense, when you run out of air and there's a beasty thing ripping your face off as you scramble for another filter.

Gonna play through it again at some point on Ranger difficulty without the HUD etc.

I only played on the two ranger modes, I don't even want to deal with a HUD anymore. The game is intuitive enough if you've played the first one. I'd recommend starting with Ranger Easy, just so you know how to deal with selecting grenades and throwing knives (though they provide a sound effect so it's not too hard even in Hardcore). The only other thing is knowing when to spam your quicktime key to avoid death at those scenes, but it's usually obvious.

Better than the first in every aspect. The voice acting is great, especially the English which is much better because the enemies aren't shouting "Die, shithead!" every 2 seconds in a fight.
Really? Haha, going to go install 2033 now

Back