Minimum Requirements?

M

Morphious

Any word on what the minimum requirements will be for Half-Life 2? Based on that 23 minute video they look to be pretty intensive, and I'm going to upgrade my computer at the end of summer...just need to know what I should plan on getting.

Valve say you can run it on a Pentium 700 with a DX6-class video card although of course the level of detail would be better with a faster PC.

man.. do some research before you post a thread. the absolute minimum system requirements has been shown on hundreds of websites. Pentium 700 mhz, 64/128 mb memmory and a DX6 graphics card is the absolute minimum.. but if you wantt the game to look good, then I would suggest around a 2 ghz CPU, 256/512 mb memmory and a DX9 graphic card (radeon 9800/ 9800 pro)

I was looking more for minimum good requirements....I can run a game that requires a 1GHz processor on a 566MHz machine. :)

Anyways thanks. :p

And I'd look on those hundreds of sites, but I just joined the community yesterday and this was the first site I stumbled across.

I think the minimum is 700mhz with a TNT2 graphics card.

I think the recommended is like 2ghz and a Geforce FX or Radion 9800 Pro.?

Think my comp will run HL2 at 800x600 all at medium detail and some things at low ? :D

AMD 1.1ghz
288mb SDRam
ATI Radeon 9000 pro 128mb DDR

ATN: moderators

Could yo do a sticky post regarding minimum requirements as people are going to post the same message for the next 4 months

man my compy feels out-dated now :/

*huggies his 950 Mhz AMD, Radeon 7200 64 MB, and 384 MB PC133*

im gonna haffa get a job this summer so i can upgradez

Originally posted by bonanzaguy
man my compy feels out-dated now :/

*huggies his 950 Mhz AMD, Radeon 7200 64 MB, and 384 MB PC133*

im gonna haffa get a job this summer so i can upgradez

ROFL! radeon 7200..they dont even make those anymore, i remember i had one before and i couldnt even run CS

Originally posted by Kongo
Aren't 9700/9700 Pro's DX9 aswell?
dont think so.. DX9 came out after the 9700/9700 pro

Actually, the 9700 and Pro are DX9 compliant. The 9700 was the first card on the market to have full DX9 pixel and vertex shader support.

I think the game should look fairly good with a 1gHz and post 9000 Radeon card. It wont look like the tech demo, but it will look as good as the current crop of games you can play on that system now, perhaps better.

As I said in the thread I just started, basically, the way they've set up the engine, "it sounds like the game will tailor itself to look about as good as anything else could on the particular system you have and still be playable. So it's not like it will look like crap compared to the games you play on the system you have now. It will probably look pretty much as good (maybe a little better, maybe a little worse, given that it has more physics and stuff going on) as those you are used to." http://halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=443

ATI software and drivers are nightmares. I had their cards for years and I was constnatly applying new drivers, fixing one porblem and creating another. I know someone with their new high-end All-In-Wonder and after he finsihed telling me how amazing it all was I started asking pointed question about issues I ran into and found that captures would lock up his PC, the TV would stop working and he'd have to restart windows, and one of his games doesn't run anymore.

That's how it always was with ATI. From the Expert@Play, Tv Tuners, and early Radeons. I would aply a patch to fix some problem in HalfLife and WOrldcraft would slow to a crawl. I'd get a version that made Worldcraft faster and suddenly I couldn't play HL online anymore.

That all went away when I bought a GeForce. I don't care how fast it appears to be on a benchmark. The driver is what makes it work at all. People have said ATI has gotten better. For instance, unlike in the past, they now support OpenGL. Previously they supplied experimetnal, unsuported drivers for it. However, they have too long a history of being bad. I have three ATI video cards that prove that.

They gave you bad experiences with old cards, and so that means that they can never fix their problems?

Most people, and most reviewers, agree that ATI has resolved the problem it had with drivers, and is now doing very well both on drivers and customer support.

Well, I've owned and worked with all kinds of cards.

ATi's Rage chips were good hardware with rotten drivers.

ATi TV tuners were a nightmare.

I had TNT1 / 2 / GeForce 2, and liked them. Detonator drivers were and are excellent. (Before that, many things, including my old pride and joy, a Canopus Pure3D 6MB Voodoo1 card paired with my 2MB Matrox Mystique)

Then, I bought a Radeon 8500LE, and since then, the drivers have been awesome. I have a 9500 Pro now, and the card and the software are rock solid.

Originally posted by RoyalEF
For instance, unlike in the past, they now support OpenGL. Previously they supplied experimetnal, unsuported drivers for it. However, they have too long a history of being bad. I have three ATI video cards that prove that.
Things change. You cannot say a company that has done poorly in the past on certain things can't do better in the future. Especially in the Computer industry. Companies in the computer industry can't survive if they don't fix the problems they have.

Nowadays, ATi sits on more industry-standards committees than Nvidia.

Scary, huh?

wtf do you mean you coudlnt run CS? mine runs it just fine. but yeah, they dont make it anymore... i bought it a few years ago... :/ *hugs it*

Originally posted by The Mullinator
Things change. You cannot say a company that has done poorly in the past on certain things can't do better in the future. Especially in the Computer industry. Companies in the computer industry can't survive if they don't fix the problems they have.

Microsoft, IBM, HP, Compaq

I can think of many things that all of the above suck at, yet they manage to eek out an existence.

Quality of product has nothing to do with a company's survival. The most mediocre of products tend to be the most popular and profitable while the best products become niche markets or disappear. The concept of a free market promoting the best product is a myth. The accelerated life cycle of the computing industry has made that obvious.

Back