Mirror's Edge 2

DEATHMASTER

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.reddit.com/tb/fl4em

It's a sad day indeed. Only one more reason to hate EA.

I guess the only consolation is that they haven't completely trashed it, just 'stopped development.' And the people working on it aren't giving up either.

It looks like it didn't even start. Sounds like DICE threw together some ideas, showed EA the concept and they where not keen. Thats how games work.

The new big boss of EA who worked during the Mirror's Edge time (among other new EA IPs of the time) was forced to step down from having "less than promising results" if I remember correctly (or is he still around but more pressured to pump sequels?).

Real shame

As terrible of a game as Mirror's Edge was, it was a great step towards the light for EA

Mirror's Edge was not bad. Game could use a sequel for improvements.

Although I thought this sequel had already been canceled long ago.

If the mainstream gaming demographic were more "This is awesome!" than "This is what everyone else plays!", Mirror's Edge would probably be hugely successful by now.

Shame they cancelled work on this but Crysis 2 gets the go ahead.

FYI, the game isn't CANCELLED per se, merely production has been halted for the time being.

"Patrick [Soderlund - EA driving and shooting game boss] acknowledges that Mirror's Edge didn't match up to their expectations regarding sales, and that has stopped the sequel that has been in development," declared the report, published originally in December. "EA was shown a prototype, but declined with askance. The project has been stopped - involved parties at DICE are working on something else now. Patrick himself seems to have Mirror's Edge near his heart, but they are not in the business of charity."

"Mirror's Edge is an IP that's close to my heart and EA's as well. It was a bold move from us. I'm proud we made it. It obviously didn't reach the commercial success we wanted, even though it wasn't bad at all," he said.
"I still think as a company we're going to talk about it when we're going to talk about it. What I can say is, we haven't buried it. We're absolutely continuing to support Mirror's Edge as an IP. When we're ready to talk about it, we'll talk about it."

Mirror's Edge was a decent demo. It sort of missing the game part though.

I loved the first one. With the proper amount of attention it could have gotten with the sequel it could be excellent. EA declining to take up their offer could be a blessing in disguise. EA might have ruined it, but if Dice can find a better publisher, or even better, self-publish the game, it can turn out to be a fantastic game.

I loved the first one. With the proper amount of attention it could have gotten with the sequel it could be excellent. EA declining to take up their offer could be a blessing in disguise. EA might have ruined it, but if Dice can find a better publisher, or even better, self-publish the game, it can turn out to be a fantastic game.

Do EA own any of the rights to Mirror's Edge? Or any exclusivity contracts? If so they wouldn't be able to do this.

Replayed Mirror's Edge a few months ago. Was a decent game, made a nice change from everything else out there. Sad to hear this might not see the light of day.

*eyes turn red*

*vein pops out on forehead*

They're right, sadly. It was very unique and interesting, but it suffered from a lot of dumb flaws. A properly made sequel would've been great.

The only flaw in the game was low budget anime cutscenes.

I don't really care tbh, I found the first one to be a pain to play, 60% of the time you're basically running from guys with guns with very little options to do something about them(other than trying to steal a gun with the clumsy fighting/gunplay), 30% watching boring cutscenes and 10% actually having fun running around.
And the style didn't really appeal to me personally.

60% of the time you're basically running from guys with guns with very little options to do something about them(other than trying to steal a gun with the clumsy fighting/gunplay)
Wasn't that kind of the point of the game? It sounds like you wanted it to be more like Splinter Cell or Prototype.

I liked that fighting was a bad idea in the game. I like that you had the option, but generally you were outgunned. Very refreshing in the video game genre. The only thing I would change about the game is the cutscenes and making the levels multipathed.

Wasn't that kind of the point of the game? It sounds like you wanted it to be more like Splinter Cell or Prototype.

No definitely not, I wanted it to be less stressing. When playing it I constantly felt like 'please give me a break, a part without these ****ers constantly shooting me', not in a good kind of way because it only gave some short breaks after which a new chase started. And that's basically 60% of the game, which resulted in a very repetitive/frustrating game considering how bad the fighting/shooting mechanics are.

There was really only one or two parts in the whole game where you should have been fighting. Everything else should have been running away...in style.

The game is essentially a new genre, and shouldn't be played as if it were a shooter or fighter or whatever. Its a chase game, and the point is to escape, not kill.

The game is essentially a new genre, and shouldn't be played as if it were a shooter or fighter or whatever. Its a chase game, and the point is to escape, not kill.

My point is, they worked that out terribly. Just being a new concept doesn't compensate shitty programming and lack of variation! (although apperantly many enjoyed it)

There was really only one or two parts in the whole game where you should have been fighting. Everything else should have been running away...in style.

Exactly. It's kind of like a more-involved 3D Super Meat Boy. You run from everything and try to make it to the end without dying.

It just so happens that I was downloading this for a replay today. One of my main problems with the game is it looks like it's incredibly open and free, but not only is it linear, it's linear as ****. And the only way the one path that's right is ever clear is if you have the color on. It's basically the ultimate in obvious handholding or struggling to guess on the fly exactly where you should be going and inevitably restarting enough to break the flow.

I play it with the redness off, it's better after you know how the game generally works. There's usually a marker just in the environment that point you where to go. Some things are judgment based (what you can reach or climb). But yeah that's a lot easier after you beat it at least once. I've replayed it so many times now. Then again I replay Halo CE a ****ton too so maybe ya'll just be ho's.

****kkk I loved ME one of my all time favorites design wise and the SCORE was great. :(
fo shame.

shame i would have liked to see a sequel purely because the first had such great potential and i would like to see it fully realised. Nevertheless the first mirror's edge is one of the most disappointing games i've ever played ;(

It just so happens that I was downloading this for a replay today. One of my main problems with the game is it looks like it's incredibly open and free, but not only is it linear, it's linear as ****. And the only way the one path that's right is ever clear is if you have the color on. It's basically the ultimate in obvious handholding or struggling to guess on the fly exactly where you should be going and inevitably restarting enough to break the flow.

Well, it certainly was linear, but there were a lot of like, mini-shortcuts that you could take. If you're going to replay it, check out some of the speed runs on youtube or something. I know that I found a lot of people doing time trials faster than I could by going a different way than I always did, thinking that there was no other way.

I can't see them just chucking this franchise away. I'll grant you that the first game had me rage quitting and helped me discover interesting new veins on my forehead, but overall i saw it as something that could have been truly great instead of a write off.

I have a feeling it'll disappear for a few years, at which point DICE will reapproach the concept and hammer out a superior design for the sequel. Once development reaches beta, they'll start pimping some kind of underrated-game throwback to Mirror's Edge to get gamers to give it a second look, and when people re/discover its style, they'll all want the sequel.

It'll happen.

:D

:(

Mirror's Edge was fun. But here's the problem: You learn a set of skills in the tutorial and then you basically have all the skills you will use for the whole game. There is little progression other than some slightly harder jumps and enemies. I couldn't play it for more than an hour at a time because everything was the same right up till the end of the game. The ninja cops seemed interesting and like there was going to be a twist but you just run away from them and continue on doing the same crap as before. When you finally finish the game they leave it to a painfully obvious sequel hook. I felt like I'd spent the entire time playing a prologue.

I felt like I'd spent the entire time playing a prologue.

Originally they had slated Mirror's Edge to be a trilogy for more milking potential.. they made the first game to reflect that. Seems to have gone the way of sins episodes.

Very sad news. Mirror's Edge had its faults, but it was refreshing: totally awesome graphics, original art direction, nice (but improvable) gameplay. It deserved a second chance.

Originally they had slated Mirror's Edge to be a trilogy for more milking potential.. they made the first game to reflect that. Seems to have gone the way of sins episodes.
Hopefully developers will realise that this is a stupid idea. If you're going to go episodic, do it properly, like Telltale. Otherwise just release a proper goddamn game.

That's too bad.

I enjoyed Mirror's Edge. It was a little rough in some areas, but overall a fun and relatively unique game. ME2 had serious potential since they could have fixed some of the less polished / fun parts of the first game. I also was looking forward to seeing what they were going to do with the Frostbite 2 engine. There are some areas / assets that look like they were from Mirror's Edge 2 in a SIGGRAPH 2010 video recently released about the radiosity simulation and dynamic lighting in Frostbite 2 engine on youtube, it was looking snazzy.

also, Sin Episode's problems were not that they were episodic, its that the first and only episode was generic and mediocre.

Ok so to confirm the optimistic ones: http://www.gamefreaks.co.nz/2011/03/03/mirrors-edge-franchise-still-alive-and-well/

Here's the whole thing because the website was going bonkers earlier:

EA Games President Frank Gibeau has offered some reassurance that the Mirror’s Edge franchise has not been killed. He also claimed EA is “actively working on ideas in the Mirror’s Edge universe.”

There was some concern back in February that development on a sequel to Mirror’s Edge had been “stopped.” EA told us at the time that it still considered ME to be “an important franchise.” That didn’t outright deny the report; it simply implied that it hadn’t been completely killed.

Gibeau was more adamant in his denial. CVG asked him if EA had given up on the series, to which he replied, “Not at all. We’re just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror’s Edge back and in what way. That’s part of the creative development process. I know there are some stories about how EA killed Mirror’s Edge. Well, I’m the guy; I greenlight the games. I did not kill it — as God is my witness.”

Without confirming Mirror’s Edge 2, he did explain the process of moving forward with it: “What we said internally is: ‘What do we need to do to make [a sequel] a hit?’ We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience. The first game from a quality standpoint was good, but now it needs to be great.

“We’re actively working on ideas in the Mirror’s Edge universe, we just haven’t locked yet on a way to bring it back and a way that fans will be excited, but at the same time we can get it to a bigger audience.”

The comments are similar to what EA CEO John Riccitiello had to say about the challenges of designing a sequel back in 2009.

Back