Mod concepts - Inspiring mod creators look here

Stitch

Reaction score
Mod Concepts

3D Fighting: A fusion of blood, flesh and sweat; Source takes networked fighting to a whole new level with statistic tracking, character advancement, sophisticated animations, next generation visuals and mind bending sound!

Mountain climbing: Never as a mountain looked so good! The Source engine renders minute detail such as the birds nest on the summit, the blades of grass next to the bump-mapped rocks, the rain drops in the modular puddles of water and the gentle sway of your scraf in the wind. Featuring three teams of hardcore climbers ready to murder their opponents, literally. Race to the top using over powering tactics and weapons capable of decapitation.

Rock'n'Kill: Forge a rock band out of random players off the net and compete with other bands for the roar of the crowd. Create tunes on the fly in real time with the sound generator. Input lyrics via microphone's and create your road of legend status.

Mystical epics: Team up with wizards, warriors and avalons as you travel a gigantic world filled with dangers, riches and might. Battle cooperatively with your brethren against hordes of highly detailed monsters in hyper-realistic environments with advanced particle effects, complex character development systems and zone portals that help simulate a vibrant world.

History: Walk the world as a dinosaur terrorizing other dinosaurs. Run rampantly in dense jungles and landscapes with full vegatation and wildlife behaviours. Tear open your opponents with natural defense mechinisims such as claws and teeth or utilize the world around you for an even greater kill.

Seaworld: Wage epic battles with the enemy in underwater environments using fictional submarine designs. Unleash a devastating attack with torpedoes and fusion blasts. Go from underwater-to-surface seamlessly and fight your battles.

Destruction racing: Rip your opponents car to shreds with yours in this amazing racing title. Upgrade your car with rockets, machine guns and other powerful weapons and take it to the road. Taking advantage of the physics system found in Source, cars will break apart realistically and suspension will behave according to the terrain.

More to come...

Interesting

Haha to the rock 'n' kill. That would be funny.

I think the 'mystical epic' would be a fun idea. Altough no doubt people would be like "OMFG!!!11 LORT RIP OFFF!!!!1"

Anyway, they sound like some pretty cool ideas.

Originally posted by Stitch

Mountain climbing: Never as a mountain looked so good! The Source engine renders minute detail such as the birds nest on the summit, the blades of grass next to the bump-mapped rocks, the rain drops in the modular puddles of water and the gentle sway of your scraf in the wind. Featuring three teams of hardcore climbers ready to murder their opponents, literally. Race to the top using over powering tactics and weapons capable of decapitation.

Destruction racing: Rip your opponents car to shreds with yours in this amazing racing title. Upgrade your car with rockets, machine guns and other powerful weapons and take it to the road. Taking advantage of the physics system found in Source, cars will break apart realistically and suspension will behave according to the terrain.

More to come...

I like those ideas!
the Mountain Climbing one especialy, there could be some really great Sport'ish mods with HL2 :cool:

Seaworld!!! set in Seaworld, florida (if thats where it is!!)

eat this Willy

god i hated those films!!

and i kno thats not waht the idea was, but still!!!

Those idea's look really inventive and interesting, I think if any of those mods were created the right way, they could be something huge. Well except for maybe the Rock'N'Kill, concept is good but unless the mic transfer was seriously upgraded and there were no scripts then it would be real hard to do it right.

SidewinderX143: aspiring?

Haha you noticed that too?

Ha, we've got a couple of english teachers in the house.

Nevertheless, some of these ideas are very minor in definition, but I believe if someone took them seriously enough to start development, they may have something great in their hands.

The Chase: Players assume the roles of cats and mice in this wacky title. Fight on kitchen tables, on the floors, in the sinks and in the fridges of gigantic houses. Use the environment to your advantage; spill some milk to distract the cats, plant some cheese and trap the mice or just try and battle it out melee style.

Space assault: Become an asteroid or other space hazards and lay smack on the Earth. Points are awarded for the most devastating blow to Earth, the sun and other planets. Players can also play the role of the defense and shoot the space hazards out of the sky.

Shooting range: Choose from a variety of weapons from around the world and stand up against moving and static targets. Players line up by fives and compete for the best score. Special hit locations determine how many points are earned per hit.

Attack of the Genric grey blobs
you must defend yourself and teamates from wave upon wave of almost identical enemies, and the only way to stop them is to destroy their spawn machine.......hmmmm sounds a bit like devastation to me....:E:cheese:

World War 1
Instead of all the WW2 mods thats probably coming could´nt someone make a mod based on the first of the two world wars. Would be perfect for the source engine. Heres a short scenario of what it could be like:

"Your runing over the ground towards the enemy line. Theres machine gun and rifle fire all over the battlefield. The only place to hide is in the craters thats been created by the enemy mortars. A grenade explodes to your right, making the ground tremble and soil flying. Two of your teammates die in front of you of another grenade. There lifeless bodies flying through the air.

Suddenly you hear someone screaming. You cant quite hear what he´s saying but it sounded like "gas!". A yellow-green cloud drifts towards you. You press the "G" button and put on your gasmask. The view is limited to almost nothing but its better then slowly dying.

You reach the first line of enemy trenches with 10 of your teammates. They begin to throw grenades down at the enemy soldiers. You see them fly up into the air landing on top of the trenches. Some lose their weapons due to the power from the nades. Someone screams "charge!".

You and your teammates jumps down into the trench starting to shot and stab the enemys that lost there weapons with your bayonets. You can then feel it. Victory is near."

Sorry if that got a little long. It would be great if someone would make something with world war 1. As you could see in my text its a completely different type of war then the second world war.

Originally posted by Rascall
World War 1
Instead of all the WW2 mods thats probably coming could´nt someone make a mod based on the first of the two world wars. Would be perfect for the source engine.

Now that's an idea. :thumbs:

-FishY

Originally posted by Rascall
World War 1
Instead of all the WW2 mods thats probably coming could´nt someone make a mod based on the first of the two world wars. Would be perfect for the source engine. Heres a short scenario of what it could be like:
Sorry if that got a little long. It would be great if someone would make something with world war 1. As you could see in my text its a completely different type of war then the second world war.
I agree with you that it would be a unique aspect in terms of gameplay, but I fear that it might end up turning into a niche game. Only a very few people, in my opinion, would play it in the long run. If it was to be realistic in the least, then this game would be largely a trench war. There wouldn't be as much action as there are in the WW2 games (as you can rush, rather than sit in a trench for a half hour). If it weren't a trench war, it basically wouldn't be WW1. If it weren't a trench war, people would just blindly rush, as they do in many of the WW2 games out there, thus losing it's differentiation from it's WW2 brothers. But it might be a plausable idea, you never know...

-Vert

Commander Mod

Basically this is what I'm thinking:

A max of 26 players split into 2 teams of 12. The two teams of 12 would then be split into two squads of 6. The AI would fill out any teams that were lacking. Each team would have a "commander" that could oversee the action in a map type view. The commander would be able to issue orders and basically oversee everything. I think of it as playing chess with people in a virtual world full of guns. I just think it would be really sweet to be able to give orders to the other players and see them follow it through and hopefully obtain the objective. Oh yeah, before the match would start the commander would draw out the route on a map that the other players could see. And there would have to be voice communications to allow for dynamic changes in course/objective.

Somethhing cool that you could add to this is to have a helmet cam on each soldier. And give the commander a monitor window he can call up.
Remember in the movie "Aliens" where Lt. Gorman sat back in the APC and watched monitors and directed the 2 squads from there (I think they were split into 2 squads, werent they?).

The Punisher

Basically this is what I'm thinking:

A max of 26 players split into 2 teams of 12. The two teams of 12 would then be split into two squads of 6. The AI would fill out any teams that were lacking. Each team would have a "commander" that could oversee the action in a map type view. The commander would be able to issue orders and basically oversee everything. I think of it as playing chess with people in a virtual world full of guns. I just think it would be really sweet to be able to give orders to the other players and see them follow it through and hopefully obtain the objective. Oh yeah, before the match would start the commander would draw out the route on a map that the other players could see. And there would have to be voice communications to allow for dynamic changes in course/objective.

My personal favorite would be Mountain Climbing. Can you imagine how good Source could render such a thing. Or better yet
Wilderness Survival: You and a group of other players must find a settlement, build a small community, and survive there for one ingame year(when players logoff, they set their actions in a menu and an NPC takes over and does the actions)

Mafia: Chicago and surrounding areas modeled to scale in a 1920s mafia simulation. Players make crime familys(clans) and try to beat out the competition and get money from moonshining and alchohol smuggling.

I love these ideas!
especially the sport'ish ideas, mountain climbing; athletics. all that stuff.

How about a Duck Hunt. SP or MP. MP could be a competition of amount of ducks to shoot. Could make a realistic looking dog too.

Escape!
max of 10 hunters and 1 escaped dude. you have escaped trough a pipe and you need to get to the nearest town to get yourself some new clothes and dissapear forever. the area will be vast. you need to do everything to scape the hunters. you can dig youself in or you can set boobietraps. (primal boobietraps) anyway.

I think this would be a fun mod.

I think a roadwarrior type mod would be cool. If I didnt already have 2 mods already in the works I'd do it.
Something like a cross between "The Road Warrior" and "Interstate 76". Its already been demonstrated that vehicles can be armed.

I have already seen a BF1942 mod that looked alot like "The Road Warrior". It had a cool look, but BF1942 cant hold a candle to HL2.

The Punisher

Punisher, now that would be sweet.
Maybe.... 3 cams on each side of the map view. And the map would be a rotatable/zoomable 3d map done in wireframe or flat shade mode.

Punisher, now that would be sweet.
Maybe.... 3 cams on each side of the map view. And the map would be a rotatable/zoomable 3d map done in wireframe or flat shade mode

If you wanted the commander to have a "Command and Conquer" style overhead view all you need is a small remote control flying camera.
If you wanted to make controlling the camera simple, (like shifting youre field of view on a typical strategy game) you just have the camera translate north,south,east or west and roatate. Have the altitude fixed and make the cameras flight level higher than all terrain and structures. Make the hover cam so small that you cant see it, and set both sides cam's at slightly different elevations to avoid collisions. Probably wouldnt take too much coding for the remote control.
A remote control flying cam and a helmet cam on each soldier would give the commander real good tactical awarness without being too unrealistic (like spectator mode).

The Punisher

Back