modidea : RC (please read :p)

SpoBo

Reaction score
modidea : RC

What : Fighting with radio controlled droids. Industrial, army looks. High-tech gadgets and extreme performance.

Setting
: The mod is set in 2020 .. There was a new gameshow sponsored by the military. The idea was simple. Enter the arena and wack everything else. No problem you might say .. offcourse that's ****ing cliché and I am beginning to hate Quake clones .. offcourse respect to ut2k4 :p... but there was a catch. It had to be done with robots developed by the military. In the beginning everybody could join but at a certain point the competition got mad since there was a team of scientists participating. Their droid featured some things like stealth and the ability to fly. Competition became harder and harder so after a while it got flooded by scientists. They all wanted to get faim and fortunate. The mod itself just is a match.. a battle. You could compare it to robotwars only set in the future and completely wacked :)

Droids
:
*3 types:
- Tires (Buggy) : For arena's that have lots of open spaces. The cars can have a LOT of guns. Altaugh they can't reach some spots they can enter lowarea spaces to move from one room to another with great speed.
- Air (Chopper) : For arena's that have difficult spots to acces. Since it has to be light this option does not allow a lot of weaponry. 1 heavy weapon and some support things. With the chopper you could easily dodge slow moving projectiles and equipped with stealth this baby should be hard to snipe. They also have the advantage of moving increadibly fast. Altaugh they are easy prays therefore they should have some sort of heavy shield. To balance things up.
- Legs (Spider) : Ability to climb wals. Not so fast though. Can jump high (if vehicle is light) or low .. if your droid is heavy equipped. The speed of the Spiders depend on their weight offcourse. Their abbilities are greatly influenced by the weight. Some special weaponry for this type could be graplinghooks, Increased jumping. Like Couple of feet high. Mayb add some nice stunttricks like a backflip or something. I just love mastering new skills that look kickass in game.
*specs:
- Droids shouldn't be too big compared to humans. Perhaps half the height of a normal person. They have a max weight limit depending on the gametype.
- Realistic physics. If a droid gets taken down it should look as if it's heavy and collapse. It needs to fall appart or get blown appart when hit by a heavy weapon.
- Controls and handeling is different for each type offcourse. This adds for mastering of many skills if you want to be good at every map or gamemode.

Gametypes : There should offcourse be DM,TeamDM and some sort of capture the flag. Keep in mind that it's still supposed to be a gameshow so ... :p Open for suggestions offcourse.
Every gametype can be limited for specific type. Like : CTF with only Airdroids .. or whatever.

Clans
: For a mod to succeed it's vital that you add clansupport. Also a droidtype can be sonciddered as a class. This will make for some good clanaction since a game can not be won by only 1 type of players.

Basics : When you install this mod it's possible to make a couple of droids in some sort of garagelevel and test them out. So you don't have to do this while beeing online and mayb under some pressure to join a team. It MUST be possible to save your droids .. The looks of a droid should also be adjustable. Custom skins and stuff.

Engine : The source engine allows for great shading of vehciles and perhaps we could insert some cool shadereffect so that your paint gets damaged from bullets and dirty from .. well dirt :/

Maps
: Everything is possibly realy but it should all have the same feeling. There should be cameras placed inside the map that display on a monitor somewhere else on this map. So you have to remember where they are. offcourse it's possible to take them down or mayb even replace it. And even .. hack into camera's so that it's displayed on your screen. But for maptypes I'm thinking about a destroyed nuclear reactor ... some testlab, a huge deserted bunker. A deserted airfield .. things like that. And offcourse some arena's especially designed for the combat.

Gadgets
: It'd also be nice to include gadgets. Things like deployable mines, spiderwebs lol :), deployable camera's, tripmines .. shit like that. For adding some teamtactics in clanfights.

So IF there are enough people to do this mod .. or your modteam would like to take over this concept we could work something out :) I could code a little since I have VB.NET/6, Pascal and PHP experience .. by the time HL2 is released I'll also have som Java skillz :p I'd also like to code a site or something. Balancing this game will get difficult though ... but it's possible :) Oh and feel free to suggest gametypes, gadgets and shit.

I'm also adding up to this concept so it's in no way final.

I'm beginning to think mod teams are using some site to randomly generate their settings/storylines

It was the year #### and ######### realised that ###### couldn't ###### so the ####### made a law that #### had to ##### ##### ## ##

Just replace the ### with any word you like and you've got a typical mod discription

Reminds me of Robot Jox too

Fighting with radio controlled droids. Industrial, army looks. High-tech gadgets and extreme performance

Can you explain how you'll "do" this extreme performance, or is it just a buzzword you wanted to add. No really, people say this and that but I wanna hear HOW and WHY.

-

Remote controlled Robots - well apart from the obvious similarities to a number of things. How do you propse to do these remote controlled robots. Is it just something to sell the mod. Or will you actually have the player only standing in a little area in a map and controlling his robots with a joystick in the game, or will it just be normal FPS and with no real difference or uniqueness afterall.

Fenric said:
I'm beginning to think mod teams are using some site to randomly generate their settings/storylines

Great idea, I'll go and create that kind of a site right now :)

Konfuzzyus said:
Great idea, I'll go and create that kind of a site right now :)
already plenty out there. Formula short stories based on pretty much anything you can think of, Star Wars, Star Trek, you name it, there's a site out there for it to create your own story by filling in the blanks.

well I meant that they are stronger and faster then current stupid radiocontrolled things the army has .. and no I didn't even know a site with stupid idea's existed and english isn't my native language so I make some errors here and there :) And the HOw and WHY is explained a couple of lines lower.

And the view is a camera on your droid. Forgot to mention that :) If you get hit the screen becomes fuzzy and stuff like that. If you drive over a small bump the view will go up and down. To give it a realistic experience.

And I'm not a part of a modteam or something so if a modteam likes this idea feel free to use it :) .. just wrote it cuz I didn't have anything else to do.

Back