More Half Life on Halife2.net, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kp1197

Reaction score
So... I'm tired of seeing Left4Dead, Steam, TF2 on HalfLife2.net. If I visit HalfLife2.net, I want to read about Half Life, or one of its mods. :frown: ... and by one of its mods, I mean a mod that bears some relation to the Half Life universe, please.

Don't think you're getting lucky until some kind of news about Ep.3 comes out...of corse I might be wrong.

kp: We have news about HL2 and mods, but try to find good mods and information to be able to keep news fresh constantly. At the moment, there isn't much news of that style. Plus most of the members seem to enjoy having the other news as it helps to have one site to find it all.

We are also going to be post news each Sunday of a mod round up. Keep an eye out for that.

I think if there was more news about Half-Life related things, you would see it (hence this website being named HalfLife2.net).

So... I'm tired of seeing Left4Dead, Steam, TF2 on HalfLife2.net. If I visit HalfLife2.net, I want to read about Half Life, or one of its mods. :frown: ... and by one of its mods, I mean a mod that bears some relation to the Half Life universe, please.
If you're going to ask a major site to change its news focus to suit your desires, at the very least you can not be a dick about it.

The third word in your post, and that emoticon are what pushes your request, which is ridiculous by itself (using the word please is about all you have going for you) over the very thin line into asshole territory.

We don't care that you are "tired". We are the news site writing news posts, not you. Do you think you having to deal with non-halflife news takes more effort than our content writers actually writing the news? And then after all their effort, they have to put up with you telling them to write something else? Who do you think is more tired here?

As for the emoticon, anger is the last thing you want to bring into a request that has literally no supporting arguments as to why hl2.net should change just for you. I'm talking about giving good reasons as to why the news should change. All you have written is that it's what you want, without even a single reason as to why things should go your way. Like I said the only thing you could have had going for you was politeness, and you tossed that out the window and made it look even dumber by trying to use the word please as if to mask your rudeness.

Well put. Even if it was polite, hes kinda SOL because there has barely been any news for quite some time regarding Half Life. If something came up, it would make news here pretty damn fast.

kp: We have news about HL2 and mods, but try to find good mods and information to be able to keep news fresh constantly. At the moment, there isn't much news of that style. Plus most of the members seem to enjoy having the other news as it helps to have one site to find it all.

Sloth:
It's not my job to find news about mods and Half Life. And I wasn't speaking for the other members, I was speaking for me.

If you're going to ask a major site to change its news focus to suit your desires, at the very least you can not be a dick about it.

The third word in your post, and that emoticon are what pushes your request, which is ridiculous by itself (using the word please is about all you have going for you) over the very thin line into asshole territory.

We don't care that you are "tired". We are the news site writing news posts, not you. Do you think you having to deal with non-halflife news takes more effort than our content writers actually writing the news? And then after all their effort, they have to put up with you telling them to write something else? Who do you think is more tired here?

As for the emoticon, anger is the last thing you want to bring into a request that has literally no supporting arguments as to why hl2.net should change just for you. I'm talking about giving good reasons as to why the news should change. All you have written is that it's what you want, without even a single reason as to why things should go your way. Like I said the only thing you could have had going for you was politeness, and you tossed that out the window and made it look even dumber by trying to use the word please as if to mask your rudeness.

I'm simply asking for HalfLife2.net to be about Half Life. Not an unreasonable request, on the face of it, is it? I'm afraid you won't win over many fans by deconstructing my remark, instead of addressing it.

it's not his job to find news about mods either - you should check sites like planetphillip.com, or moddb.com

Sloth:
It's not my job to find news about mods and Half Life.
He wasn't telling you to try finding news, he was saying that hl2.net does try to.
And I wasn't speaking for the other members, I was speaking for me.
Which as I pointed out in my first post, is going to get you nowhere. You're just wasting your time.

I'm simply asking for HalfLife2.net to be about Half Life. Not an unreasonable request, on the face of it, is it?
Except it makes way more sense for us to broaden our scope for news, because like we already told you, there simply isn't enough HL related news to keep a large site like us afloat. Telling us to make a major change just because it sounds good at face value is just silly. Durp the site has half life in the name so the news should just be about half life herp derp.

I'm afraid you won't win over many fans by deconstructing my remark, instead of addressing it.
How am I not addressing your remark? I both addressed it and explained why we're not going to do what you want. In deconstructing I fully addressed every aspect of what you're asking. Many of us have answered you and told you why it's not going to happen.

He wasn't telling you to try finding news, he was saying that hl2.net does try to.
Which as I pointed out in my first post, is going to get you nowhere. You're just wasting your time.

Not with you, at least. ...Next...

Oh, and by the way. I know why HalfLife2.net has news about Left4Dead, Left4Dead2, Steam, and Valve. Because if they didn't find something to write about, there'd be no traffic, and then there would be no money. Not that it's wrong to make money, but I'd wish they would try harder to stay true to the flippin name of the site.

There's only so much news about the HL series that one can find.
Currently there's basically nothing about HL to actually report about so they're informing us about other VALVe and Source projects.

Don't like it? Tough shit.

There's only so much news about the HL series that one can find.
Currently there's basically nothing about HL to actually report about so they're informing us about other VALVe and Source projects.

Don't like it? Tough shit.

If there's nothing to report, then HalfLife2.net shouldn't report. Or they should change their name to ValveProductsWeLike.net

Because if they didn't find something to write about, there'd be no traffic, and then there would be no money.
Except the writers here don't get paid to write news. Neither do most of the staff.

It is absolutely not about money. Quit being so dense.

HL2.net was started in 2003 when HL2 had just begun to be revealed. It thrived off the popularity of the game's imminent release and all the related news.

It quickly became the largest HL2 fansite on the internet and it would be fallen to the wayside right now if it hadn't broadened its news scope to include more than just strictly HL2 related news. We're not going to just close down the site and open another with a new name just because you have some kind of OCD with the name not matching directly with the news content.

If there's nothing to report, then HalfLife2.net shouldn't report.
I have to ask, are you mentally challenged?

Oh, and by the way. I know why HalfLife2.net has news about Left4Dead, Left4Dead2, Steam, and Valve. Because if they didn't find something to write about, there'd be no traffic, and then there would be no money. Not that it's wrong to make money, but I'd wish they would try harder to stay true to the flippin name of the site.

No, it's because (and this bit is emphasised because it's important) we do post the Halflife-related news. The reason why you're not seeing as much of it as perhaps you'd like is (emphasis again!) because there isn't very much of it around.

So you see the issue? We can't post news on what isn't there.
Also, we don't make money from the site. If we did, we'd be posting a hell of a lot more news than we do now...

No, it's because (and this bit is emphasised because it's important) we do post the Halflife-related news. The reason why you're not seeing as much of it as perhaps you'd like is (emphasis again!) because there isn't very much of it around.

So you see the issue? We can't post news on what isn't there.
Also, we don't make money from the site. If we did, we'd be posting a hell of a lot more news than we do now...

There's an ad banner near the top of the screen. If you're not making money, you're at least using it to offset operating costs.

You know, I know, everybody knows, that you are running a Half Life site that has little to do with Half Life. Don't evade the issue. Start posting more mod news, more single player level news, etc. I will say no more.

Lol, what?

The ad banners make a pittance - certainly not enough to be classed as any kind of income. That's all somewhat irrelevant, though.

As to your request:

denied.gif

We report on Valve/Steam related news because we expanded our scope beyond just Halflife 2. We're not evading anything, we're just staying current.
If there was more Half-life-related news, we'd post it, including mods. But there's isn't.

and pressure Valve to do what? Release more? Sure, that'll work.

I suggest that you continue to visit the site, and just put your hands over your eyes while scrolling down the page every time you see an article that isn't related to Half-life. For added emphasis, you could shout "LA LA LA" loudly while doing so.

Good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back