Most Fun Chapter

You share my thoughts ridge.

I have a slight feeling this thread is becoming the "Saddest chapter in the game" instead of "Funnest".

Damnit, why does that never happen to me? I hardly ever have a sense of atmosphere in HL2, even in chapters like Ravenholm. The only bits I got a decent sense of atmosphere in were the bits with exceptionally kick-ass music. Guess I'm just not imaginative enough... or possibly because I'd read so much about HL2 before I played it, so I knew what to expect quite a bit. HL1 actually had more atmosphere for me than HL2.

On-topic, I don't really have a favourite chapter, but would probably pick Nova Prospekt, for the insane pleasure of having a whole army of antlions to talk to. I do have favourite bits however, like that bit where you come out of this underground car-park and run away from some striders, whilst listening to the best music in the whole game. Or that awesome fight outside Nova Prospekt, with two gunships and loads of rockets and antlions and Combine soldiers and towers with guns on and grenades...

The antlion areas did give me a sense of dread and of loneliness, but the rest of it not really , it would have been good if they had areas where the they were looking for you, instead of just driving along and fighting some here and there. Areas where they could be avoided would go well and be suitable with such a chapter

Also in Sandtraps, after you help the rebels fight off the dropships and gunships, and they show you the secret passage.
There was a place, with a man standing on a stone, telling you to not step on the sand.

*sob*Poor Lazlo. The finest mind of his generation come to such an end!

I feel sorry for Lazlo. How he got swarmed by those antlions.;(

Also in Sandtraps, after you help the rebels fight off the dropships and gunships, and they show you the secret passage.
There was a place, with a man standing on a stone, telling you to not step on the sand.

*sob*Poor Lazlo. The finest mind of his generation come to such an end!

I feel sorry for Lazlo. How he got swarmed by those antlions.;(

Who cares about Lazlow. He didn't know you, you didnt know him. You never know, he could have been an undercover combine.

I loved all of Sandtraps where you have to stay off the sand. That's probably the funnest gravity gun section in the game. I remember a bit where there's a large gap in the rocks that you can just bridge with a long wooden planck. So many little puzzles and places to explore and supplies to find...

You heartless bastard...

What he said ^^ :p

Well, to be honest i like all of the levels, but i think my favourite ones have to be Nova Prospekt and the ones after it.

I'm guessing i'm right, when i'm saying, that you like NP for the antlion C&C.:p
If so, same here.

Yep, the antlions definitely make it a pretty cool level, as well as the fight with the ant lion guard.

Plus, you can sit back and do nothing while your antlion minions beat the living s*** out of the combine and everything else :p

I dont know why, but whenever I hear that guy cry about Lazlo being the greatest mind of his generation, I always just laugh...also think about how he'd never get past that Antlion Guard, either...

I love it all, but right off the top of my head, I'll say Route Canal and Nova Prospekt in a tie. :) I hope we get to control the antlions again sometime. It's just too damn fun!

1) Highway 17 (tons of story/backstory/lore here, driving along the coast, seeing how much water the combine sucked up, seeing how they "live" etc.)
2) Ravenholm (fun part, especially if you don't use any weapons, except gravity gun)
3) Sand Traps (the whole "stay off the sand" thing is cool, good use of the Gravity Gun)

Meh, I've always thought Nova Prospect hands down. It's eerie, and really long. I enjoyed it more than Ravenholm even.

The part where you are in that underground high way tunnel, and the strider breaks through, and you hide in the building... that scene was so foggy and dizmal. Made me feel kind of lonely. Along with the under the bridge scene.

Side note- There are two sections of follow freeman that look exactly the same. You go through a hole in the wall with your team, your in a hall way which eventually leads to an underground highway, but to the right of the wall hole are steps leading up to an isolated area of the city blocked off by combine steel doors, you can get some stuff there.

And when you get out of that town hall area, and those doors open up, you kill that last strider, look, the same steps leading down, except when you go down them, no hole in the wall, and the hall leads to a different underground highway.

Found it weird

Man, you double ALOT, see that button beside the "quote" button, click that and you can magically change what's in a particular post! MAGIC!

Anyways - WHY Nova Prospekt? Not atmospherically wrong or anything, just.. I dunno.. Breaking into Nova Prospekt was fun, but once your in it's just... eh... Ravenholm is a million and one times more fun, man...

Although, Nova Prospekt in combination with SMOD has the most intense shoot-outs ever. They get pretty freakin epic..

Zombieturtle: i found it weird too. But last time i played i had this weird glitch, where the strider wasn't ducking to get through the tunnel.
It just walked, like nothing was wrong and it's head was in the ceiling of the tunnel.

Cavecanem: Everibody likes Ravenholm for the zombie carnage, you just don't understand the magic behind NP.
NP is notably better then most of the levels. But there are some, that still stand out(Ravenholm, follow freeman, route kanal, anticitizen one).

Man, you double ALOT, see that button beside the "quote" button, click that and you can magically change what's in a particular post! MAGIC!

Anyways - WHY Nova Prospekt? Not atmospherically wrong or anything, just.. I dunno.. Breaking into Nova Prospekt was fun, but once your in it's just... eh... Ravenholm is a million and one times more fun, man...

Although, Nova Prospekt in combination with SMOD has the most intense shoot-outs ever. They get pretty freakin epic..

Why Nova Prospekt? Because it's atmospherically perfect. Prisons on a regular level are already very creepy, not to mention very old abandon prisons, with strange noises and screams in the background. They are so abandon in fact, even a lot of the combine are dead, and left to a different post.

Also, it's a very diverse and long level, hell even entanglement should be considered part of Nova Prospekt because it is infact in Nova Prospekt.

Not to mention that time when you are in a room with 4 openings, but only three turrets. -I played that 3 times, 3 different ways, it was awesome, really got you thinking of a strategy.

Basically, what zombieturtle tried to say was NP rox teh haus.

lol, at that part in Entanglement, with the 3 turrets, I didn't even use them the first time (didn't know what they were or anything), so I just hid in an empty cell, and whoever decided to come looking in would get a blast from the shotgun, some people got the secondary trigger. So much fun!

BTW, I said there was nothing wrong with the atmosphere, the atmosphere is second best (besides Highway 17) in the game, I just don't know.. it's fun and everything... just.. eh..

anticitizen and follow freeman. Heck, I enjoyed all of them.

Nova Prospekt is easily the best chapter in the game.

A change of heart? I always thought you were a Follow Freeman man.

I find that whol segment of the game--essentially the night of Gordon's second day--to be the best part.

I love Point Insertion, Water Hazard, Follow Freeman, and Anti-Citizen One... I loved all of it, really. Except Ravenholm. I played it alone, at night, with the windows open (out here in the middle of nowhere, with crickets the size of semis and coyotes who chill in the backyard... atmosphere overload when coupled with Ravenholm).

I enjoyed Highway 17, too. And Our Benefactors...

My vote goes to Sandtraps. I'll never forget that tunnel with burning cars and fast zombies. It's been a while since I played HL2, I really miss it.

My vote goes to Sandtraps. I'll never forget that tunnel with burning cars and fast zombies. It's been a while since I played HL2, I really miss it.

The tunnel, yeah. Nearly the scariest part of the game.

I would have to say:

'We Don't Go To Ravenholm'

All the puzzles and surprises in that level are amazing. Also towards the end of the level I was getting desperate - What kind of game starts to give you an atmosphere and makes you feel desperate and agitated when things get tough?

I was running out of shotgun ammo and wasted my SMG. No grenades and there were no more saw blades for me to use my Gravity Gun with. I was like shit what the hell im I gonna do? No game has ever made me feel that way. And the level is very surreal, the appearance of Father Grigori and his seemingly vigilante-saviour-of-ravenholm is even better. We all know he's going to die - the zombies are far too numerous, but omfg him and the level is just amazing.

This is an amazing game and i'm extremely scared to play it on hard difficulty.

With other FPS like the awesome halo 2 and its predecessor, you could just jump in, shoot em up, if the going gets tough you find a better weapon like a rocket launcher and shoot em up with that.

But Half Life 2 is just... ooommmmgg. So emotional too.

Highway 17 was great, especially the areas with antlions fighting other creatures

He doesn't die, he surrounds the mausoleum entrance with the fire, and runs inside it. The fire stops the zombies from following him.

No.

What I meant was he's going to die eventually, the zombies are far too numerous.

And what do you mean No. When I was comparing it to Halo 2?

Yes, they are numerous, but that's what the fire is for, they'll all walk through it and just kill themselves, he is safe in that mausoleum.

I meant no as is Halo 1 and 2 suck.

For me, there isn't a experience quite like Anti-Citizen One and Follow Freeman, those 2 chapters give the whole "The begining of the end of the Combine" feel.

Same. It feels, looks and tastes like the combine are loosing they're grip on earth. With the last stranded units, desperately keeping together, to survive the new Rebel regime.

PS: The xen wildlife around ain't very good news either...

Highway 17, the sheds and houses and outposts are awesome to explore. Looking forward doing the same in ep2

Follow Freeman (because of the striders) or Nova Prospekt (because of the antlion/Combine battles).

All antlion parts are fun, Nova Prospekt is only dimmed by the fact you can only have 4 at a time following you, bothered me greatly

There was a time I had 6 antlions following me, maybe they just didn't like you lol.

i didn't like nova prospekt. the stupid ant lions always got in the way. like if i went into a room, they'd always block the doorway. i just wanted to shoot them

You can shoot them.
They never get angry, either, as long as you've got the pheropod.

Back