MP3 players?

Gargantou

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here.

I'd like recommendations for MP3 players ranging from prices of 100 to a max of 200 dollars, I've checked around for reviews but alot of people are insane so I don't trust them!:LOL:

One review for example had this listed as Cons

"It plays music but that's not why I bought it."

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome, I'm preferably looking for one with atleast 1 gB of memory.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

//Angry Gorilla Man

Creative Zen Micro. I'm happy with mine.

For less money you could get a muvo TX FM.

Iaudio5
I go a lot on a site where readers give their reviews and on that site it got the best score out of any, now it's down a little bit, but with a 9.2 out of 10 it's pretty dammed good.
A largets consumer protection/rights group gave it the best buy score. It sell in the US for around 150,- here it was 189,- euro's.

It has gotten pretty good reviews around the world 2, but not so good as in holland. As far as I know cnet gave it 7.3, and users gave it 9. Anyway just google iaudio5 + reviews.
IMO it's very good, the only thing that I do not like is that the manual is really incomplete, you have a better online one, but thats still incomplete. Plus I can't upgrade the firmwire to 1.2, I could to 1.1, because for that you havew to put the player in a so called recovery mode, which is I think simple a format or so.

But the way described on the site does not work. But even without that it still works fine, I have never had problems with it. It everything that it does, it does good. It may be more expensive then other mp3, but it has good quality. I was especially amazed by the microphone, and IMO the earbuds are exellent, I used to hate bass in music, but once bass is not distorted it just adds a lot more to the music, although I think a couple of sites complaned about the earbuds not beeing good enough. Anyway for me they are exellent. But you might also want to try the ipod nano, it doesn't have if i'm coreect a radio and microphone, but it does have 5 gigs of memmory.
Cnet review
Edit: and cnet is right about the battery, it does only go fro 14 hours, not the 20 they described, in any case also check out out the iaudio g3, which has al ife of 36 hours and the iaudio u2 on cnet.

my zen micro's output thingy is f*cked:angry:
it's a very good player if you don't get a player with the fuxxored output:frog:

I'd recommend saving up another $100 or so and getting a 20gb ipod photo. They just went down in price about $100. I know people on here don't like them for whatever reason, but it's the best purchase I've ever made.

IonizeMyAtoms said:
I'd recommend saving up another $100 or so and getting a 20gb ipod photo. They just went down in price about $100. I know people on here don't like them for whatever reason, but it's the best purchase I've ever made.
Main reasons people don't like iPods are due to the fact they are so bright white, and can attract muggers. Also they need to be loved and looked after to keep them looking new.

I personally don't know about the quality of the iPods though, but a guy I know from college says the iPods are the most frequent returning items due to them being flaky - that was his word choice.

I personally would only go with an MP3 player that does not need the manufacturers fancy software just to access it, such as iTunes and whatever else you get - I just need to access it like a hard drive, which it is :p

Not to mention the ear pieces that come with these overpriced Ipod's are absolutely the worst earpieces i've ever had in my ears, the ones from my 5 year old Sony MP3 CD player are 10x better, so expect to pay an extra £20+ for some decent ear pieces on top of the big price tag already.

Well thanks for all the tips guys, decided to go for an iPod Nano(black tho, so no worry about the bright whiteness.:p)

Anyway, again, thanks for all the tips.:)

Creative's the way to go I reckon. Depending on how much music you actually have, go for the Micro or Zen Touch.

Edit - Uhh yeah..missed your above post Gargantou :p

furiousV said:
Main reasons people don't like iPods are due to the fact they are so bright white, and can attract muggers. Also they need to be loved and looked after to keep them looking new.

I personally don't know about the quality of the iPods though, but a guy I know from college says the iPods are the most frequent returning items due to them being flaky - that was his word choice.

I personally would only go with an MP3 player that does not need the manufacturers fancy software just to access it, such as iTunes and whatever else you get - I just need to access it like a hard drive, which it is :p
I'm pretty rough with mine, and it does have scratches, but I can't even see them unless it's tilted into the light
And you can use whatever headphones you want so you can't even see the white
And I got a year extended warranty for only $35, so even if it does **** up, I have two years with no worries
And I was already using itunes, which is the best music software I've ever used, so that doesn't bother me

Alig said:
Not to mention the ear pieces that come with these overpriced Ipod's are absolutely the worst earpieces i've ever had in my ears, the ones from my 5 year old Sony MP3 CD player are 10x better, so expect to pay an extra £20+ for some decent ear pieces on top of the big price tag already.
You think so? They're the exact same as every other pair of ear buds I've ever owned, so no problems for me. Plus they sound better than my $75 headphones

Gargantou said:
Well thanks for all the tips guys, decided to go for an iPod Nano(black tho, so no worry about the bright whiteness.:p)
Nanos=biggest waste of money EVER. Such a rip off, considering a 6gb nano is the same price as a 20gb ipod

IonizeMyAtoms said:
You think so? They're the exact same as every other pair of ear buds I've ever owned, so no problems for me. Plus they sound better than my $75 headphones

Yeah, i do. I think you need to test a pair of Sony ear pieces on your Ipod or anything but Apple ones. I tested my mates 20gb Ipod out, which he claims has 1 broken ear bud and it sounded terrible, so tinny, and i tested out another Ipod (20gb Ipod - £150~) and they sounded the exact same as the first one and she didn't say they were broke unlike my mates so i came to a quick conclusion they completely suck for sound quality(the ear pieces - not the Ipod), especially for the kind of music i listen to (hard house etc etc), yet the Ipod itself has got pretty good sound quality with my Sony ear buds plugged into it...it actually sounds as if it has bass, which is normal.

I'd also reccomend you get better headphones if Ipod ear buds sound better...not even my surround sound + subwoofer has better sound quality than my HD580 Sennheiser headphones (£100)..but this is another topic (sorry).

Well, both I've heard alot of good things about the Nano from consumers aswell as professional reviewers, so hopefully I won't be dissappointed, I am aware of the sucky headphones(whatever) quality, so I'm looking to buy some new ones along with it and I am also aware of the fact that it easily gets scratched, so I've bought protection for it.

I'm hoping I won't get dissappointed, I was looking at buying a Creative Zen Micro Photo but it got some lousy reviews especially about control.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips.

furiousV said:
I personally don't know about the quality of the iPods though, but a guy I know from college says the iPods are the most frequent returning items due to them being flaky
you also have to realize that when your selling more ipod's than anything else(75% market share i belive) more are bound to come back.

Alig said:
Yeah, i do. I think you need to test a pair of Sony ear pieces on your Ipod or anything but Apple ones. I tested my mates 20gb Ipod out, which he claims has 1 broken ear bud and it sounded terrible, so tinny, and i tested out another Ipod (20gb Ipod - £150~) and they sounded the exact same as the first one and she didn't say they were broke unlike my mates so i came to a quick conclusion they completely suck for sound quality(the ear pieces - not the Ipod), especially for the kind of music i listen to (hard house etc etc), yet the Ipod itself has got pretty good sound quality with my Sony ear buds plugged into it...it actually sounds as if it has bass, which is normal.

I'd also reccomend you get better headphones if Ipod ear buds sound better...not even my surround sound + subwoofer has better sound quality than my HD580 Sennheiser headphones (£100)..but this is another topic (sorry).
I tried my $75 Sony DJ headphones and the iPod ones sound better. You're the first person I've heard say the ipod ones sound tinny

IonizeMyAtoms said:
I tried my $75 Sony DJ headphones and the iPod ones sound better. You're the first person I've heard say the ipod ones sound tinny
You must have crappy DJ headphones ;). My sennheiser HD280 headphones sound 1000 times better than the regular Ipod headphones which are total crap. Hooking up the Ipod to my sound system at home made a huge difference.

I just picked up an ipod nano a week ago and I absolutely love it. It's tiny and has a great battery (for now). The main reason I went with the ipod was pod casts which I think are the future of radio. But the price was a little too much for only 2 GB of space ($200).

No Limit said:
You must have crappy DJ headphones ;). My sennheiser HD280 headphones sound 1000 times better than the regular Ipod headphones which are total crap. Hooking up the Ipod to my sound system at home made a huge difference.

I just picked up an ipod nano a week ago and I absolutely love it. It's tiny and has a great battery (for now). The main reason I went with the ipod was pod casts which I think are the future of radio. But the price was a little too much for only 2 GB of space ($200).
There are podcast for other mp3 players as well you know.

IonizeMyAtoms said:

Well i don't know then because i thought they was awfully tinny and when i put bass up on the Ipod it was distorted so bad i couldn't make out the song/tune. Maybe the US ear buds that come with the US Ipods are different than the UK ones. I'm not gunna argue about opinions. I'd still reccomend some new headphones though..ear buds shouldn't be better than headphones... ever.:hmph:

Grey Fox said:
There are podcast for other mp3 players as well you know.
Ones that update automatically when you plug your player in? I really don't have the time to mess with 3rd party software. However, I never looked at it in great detail so maybe its not as bad as it seems.

I have heard nothing but good things about the iRiver. Prolly gonna get the 20 gig one once I get enough money:farmer:

Back