Music: Rate and Discuss

The videos are just epic!
I have been listening these 2 for a couple of days now. They are from Gigi d'agostino,so here ya go!

If you have iTunes, you can stream the new Queens Of The Stone Age album for free before it officially gets distributed.
Good chance to rate it before deciding on purchasing a copy.

Dunno how long it'll be up for:
http://itunes.com/qotsa

Incubus is a pretty good guitar player!

That's actually one of my favourite live DVDs, though, and probably the first one I bought with my own cash. Still love the guitar and bass parts on this track. Mike uses some really great effects.

Edit: Also, always preferred this acoustic track, if only because Drive got overplayed to hell and back over here.

Ahhh yes, Mexico.

I always found it kind of depressing to be honest. And I think Morning View Sessions was the first band DVD I ever bought too. I have Alive At Red Rocks lying around somewhere too.

I watched the whole Morning View Sessions the other day, well, had it on in the background, and it's by far their best live performance. Just listening to them playing Wish You Were Here. I cranked that shit up.

Oh god, so good.

I love Incubus when Brandon is just in the zone and being an amazing singer, but unfortunately alot of their live gigs are hit and miss. Sometimes they sound incredible. Sometimes I just cringe. Love them either way, just wish they could be more consistent.

Once they break their hiatus and start gigging again, I HAVE to get a ticket to see them. I'll fly to frigging Tokyo if I have to, if they don't come to the UK again.

What I really want them to do, is a small venue where everyone stands around them in like a circle. Kind of like they did at the Incubus HQ in 2011 for the If Not Now When album.

They did a Honda tour or something in 2012 at the Home Depot Center, but this, to me, is the best Brandon has been lately, and this was 2 years ago:

I never though this would happen but I found a favorite album of all time. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual was released in early May and I haven't been able to stop listening to it ever since. It's a difficult album to get into, a lot of nearly 10-minute-long tracks, some of which are mostly droning and uneasy sounds, plus there's a 20-minute ambient track in the middle. This is one of my favorites, it's a fun as hell, dancey track called Without You My Life Would Be Boring:

Their new live show also looks absolutely incredible. It's not a concert, though, nearly all music is playback. It's a performance. I'm going to die if I can't attend their Finland gig.

If you've heard it, what did you think?

Not the sort of thing I usually go for but that first track is pretty neat.

So a lot of people have been going pretty nuts for Deafheaven - Sunbather, and for good reason. I gave their first album a listen a couple years back and wasn't massively impressed, but this one deserves every bit of hype it gets. They've successfully taken the raw energy of black metal and channeled it into a broader, less brutal sound, without compromising on its intensity. Where many other new metal acts are trying to couple muted, downtuned guitars with clean, melodic vocals, these guys couple raw black metal vocals (screeching? whatever they call it) with sweet, open guitar tones and some really huge sounding post-rock/shoegaze influenced playing and composition. As a result the songs, even in their heaviest/most blasty sections, exude an ecstatic rawness which conveys a range of emotions, often more bittersweet than dark or depressing, which is also reflected in the lyrics... if you can make any of them out. (brb applying to Pitchfork after that last sentence)

Here's the longest and also best track. The build-up/pay-off from 7:10 to 8:05 gets me every goddamn time.

so this song is weird and has interesting production and i like it and maybe you will too

Dang, that's pretty cool.

https://dawnofmidi.bandcamp.com/album/dysnomia

I've really been digging this album lately, three piece band who use acoustic instruments to create some kind of weird analog of dance music with an extremely minimalist jazz vibe. Lots of repetition and gradual change, not a lot in the way of straight forward pay offs so it can feel meandering or directionless in parts, but it's kind of hypnotic in its rigidity and refusal to resolve itself in a typical or expected way. But maybe I'm just saying that because I listen to a lot of post-rocky kind of stuff so I get a little worn out on build-build-build-CRESCENDO!

So imagine me sitting here, just playing some vidyee games, listening to my jazz playlist on shuffle, when a song comes on that I haven't heard before. Sounds nice enough, I'm getting into the swing of it... and then the mid-point hits.

Now picture me sitting here with a huge goofy-ass grin on my face.

So I was checking out the Bandcamp announcement for a new release of old stuff from indie rock band Grandaddy, when lo and behold, who should appear in the supporter comments but Marc Laidlaw. https://grandaddy.bandcamp.com/album/sumday-excess-baggage

Here's another blast from the past:
Rating: Pre-Portal/10
Discussion: World's first open-source music video?

P.S. Music recs on this page are better than just about anything new from the past 10 years.

MASTER, MASTER!
MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS

Am i the only one who likes metallica out here? 💀

So I was checking out the Bandcamp announcement for a new release of old stuff from indie rock band Grandaddy, when lo and behold, who should appear in the supporter comments but Marc Laidlaw. https://grandaddy.bandcamp.com/album/sumday-excess-baggage

Here's another blast from the past:
Rating: Pre-Portal/10
Discussion: World's first open-source music video?

P.S. Music recs on this page are better than just about anything new from the past 10 years.

Woah, what. Yo!

Back