Music: Rate and Discuss

Ah thanks, Tonto is good. I also listened to some songs off EP C/B EP that I thought were pretty good. I think the first songs I listened to had a lot more weird vocal stuff going on, and I prefer just the straight up mathy instrumental bits. The overall quirkiness isn't my fav "mood" for music, but I do tend to enjoy that a lot more in a live setting.

I'm in love with the bit starting at 0:55. I really like Opeth, but only their soft to moderate songs, I still have a really hard time liking the grunt-work in the other kind. His voice is so dreamy though!

Doobie Brothers - Dependin' on You

...took me years to figure out who was singing this song (plays with the canned music at work), I swore it was Steely Dan.

I'm in love with the bit starting at 0:55. I really like Opeth, but only their soft to moderate songs, I still have a really hard time liking the grunt-work in the other kind. His voice is so dreamy though!

New album came out a couple weeks ago, haven't grabbed it yet but you can stream it here: http://www.npr.org/2011/09/11/140288664/first-listen-opeth-heritage

What I heard of it was relatively soft, seems like they're going for a 70s prog/fusion sort of vibe. With some death thrown in, natch.

New album came out a couple weeks ago, haven't grabbed it yet but you can stream it here: http://www.npr.org/2011/09/11/140288664/first-listen-opeth-heritage

What I heard of it was relatively soft, seems like they're going for a 70s prog/fusion sort of vibe. With some death thrown in, natch.

I gave it a listen on Spotify and can't say it appealed to me much, I found the jazz influences to be really grating as there's little I like less than jazz.

Talking of jazz, this seems to be a trend as Steven Wilson's new solo album, Grace for Drowning, has jazz elements as well in it. This is mostly true of the tracks "Raider II" and "Remainder the Black Dog" but as those two tracks consist of 30 minutes on the album, it's a substantial part of it. The whole album is like 90 minutes though, so quite lengthy. I still like Raider II, despite veering off into Dream Theater territory, but the jazz elements definitely reduce it from "epic" to "okay" for me.

It's one of those albums I'll appreciate more as I listen to it more, and there's some songs I already love on it, but I'll never, ever appreciate the cacophony of flutes, saxophones and clarinets. Ugh.

Despite my whining though, it seems to be a great album and the critical reception is really positive too.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Alone On The Rope

Amazing track, feels like it was written for SOTSOG era Oasis.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Alone On The Rope

Amazing track, feels like it was written for SOTSOG era Oasis.

Been pleasantly satisfied by Noel's solo stuff myself. I think Beady Eye are total crap but then Noel was always the more talented Gallagher in my opinion.
There was this great quote about Oasis by Pete Doherty that was something like "Noel is the Poet and Liam is the Town Cryer." I'm definitely keen on High Flying Birds.

Agree this song is top notch.

Steven Wilson's new solo album, Grace for Drowning

Just heard about this last night, haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Played Opeth's newun Heritage once through though, and it's not left me with a great first impression either. Seems like they're trying to channel 70s prog/fusion like they did on Damnation, but combining it with some of their usual heaviness and the general feel of Watershed... unsuccessfully. Feels like they come up short on both counts, and the result is kind of bland and lacks the impact of either. Maybe further listening will enamour me to it more.

Similarly, Pain of Salvation's latest concept behemoth Road Salt Two is pretty uninspiring, but maybe I just really dislike the direction they took after Scarsick. They're still doing that dirty hard rock thing mixed with their usual melodramatic pop-prog (that being the best description I can pull out of my ass at this particular moment). No thanks. Bring back Remedy Lane-era POS. :(

On a more positive note, I grabbed Mastodon's new one, The Hunter, and it's ****ing fab. You could say they've taken a safer route with this one, ditching their more ambitious prog leanings for a straighter, more pure metal sound, but it's ****ing razor sharp and they pull it off without a hitch. Some of the riffage seems a bit cliched, like I've heard it a dozen times before, but it's used in such a way that it never really grates or comes off completely unoriginal. Also, by god can these guys write a chorus. Only downside is that it feels a little less cohesive as a whole compared to their previous albums, which felt more like concept albums through and through. This one's more of a "song album," as opposed to an album album. Good thing the songs are so great, then. :v

Been pleasantly satisfied by Noel's solo stuff myself. I think Beady Eye are total crap but then Noel was always the more talented Gallagher in my opinion.
There was this great quote about Oasis by Pete Doherty that was something like "Noel is the Poet and Liam is the Town Cryer." I'm definitely keen on High Flying Birds.

Agree this song is top notch.

TBH I thought Noels solo stuff was arse until he released "If I Had A Gun" which is amazing. Apart from that one track though I still prefer some of Beady Eyes stuff to Noels.

EDIT:- Noels YouTube have just put up the b-side to AKA...What A Life! and it's amazing, surprised it's not going to be an album track:

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Let The Lord Shine A Light On Me

Four Tet.... live
Don't do it. I read a few reviews from people that actually like him a lot that said his live show is really boring. It is. I almost fell asleep standing up, and probably lost a bunch of brain cells from how mindlessly dull it was. I listened to the Pause and Rounds albums a lot the past couple of weeks and liked them, but I don't think he played anything off those. There were maybe 5 to 10 minutes worth of enjoyable material in there among over an hour of boring. Maybe it's just that there were 45 minutes of the guy before him also doing even more boring electronic music, but I don't ever want to stand through over 2 hours worth of repetitive 4/4 dance beats again. Also - love cry, love cry, love cry... D: why.

Walls (British electronic duo) was actually very good... pretty sounds. But went on first, so short set. Wolf Eyes was just weird -- dark, slow/drony bits with a dude on sax and some wind instrument making native american sounding melodies over the sludgy parts plus some spoken word stuff plus occasionally they'd make sounds (by accident? I couldn't even tell) that really shouldn't be made much less amplified, ouch. started zoning out during this too but maybe that had something to do with the visuals going on and wearing 3d glasses. Thank goodness Battles went on last because they saved the night.

Just got the new Five Finger Death Punch album....very nice :D

If you like heavy metal you'd probably like this.

[video=youtube_share;k_tmIYLBH-o]http://youtu.be/k_tmIYLBH-o[/video]

Side One of Noel Gallagher's debut album. Perfectly legal from Noels Youtube channel
This album is amazing. tracks contained in this video and side one:-

Everybody's On The Run
Dream On
If I Had A Gun...
The Death Of You And Me
(I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine

Oh and the Japanese Bonus track which is on par with any on the album:

I don't really know what to make of this guy so far, but he does appear to be in the possession of mad flow. He goes by the names Dr. Dooom, Dr. Octagon, Kool Keith, and probably one or two others I forgot already. Pretty cool stuff.

The dude jams like Autechre. Discuss discuss discuss discuss east coast rappers this forum is dead

The dude jams like Autechre. Discuss discuss discuss discuss east coast rappers this forum is dead

I hate it. Only got to 45 seconds in.

Anyways, I'm still listening to Dead Man's Bones even after everybody ignored my thread about them. **** all you this shit is 9/10 or better! **** you!

Proof there is no afterlife. When something is dead, it just ceases to exist.

I hate it. Only got to 45 seconds in.

Anyways, I'm still listening to Dead Man's Bones even after everybody ignored my thread about them. **** all you this shit is 9/10 or better! **** you!

You know I kept forgetting to respond to that thread for like a week to be like "Oh shit, I know Dead Man's Bones too they are pretty spiffy and I'd probably let Gosling penetrate me" but then I didn't and now feel bad.

Just picked up the Melted Toys Washed and Dried EP which is pretty good. I'm gonna give it a couple more listens but I'm digging it, kind of a dreamy indie type of thing.

Otherwise I've been listening to Mezzanine a whole bunch too, but you should all know that's a pretty solid album.

Hadn't checked out their album from last year yet. Guess I should have. Awesome track, this.

Kool Keith is really lyrically creative but most of his stuff is so out there and just plain weird I don't think he'll ever be mainstream. Fun fact: he was my avatar for the first few years after I joined the forum. Here's the song that got me into him.

This is definitely one of my favourites off justice's sophomore. The direction they went with the new album was initially very hard to digest, mainly because I have never excessively liked 70s classic rock like pink floyd and all that jazz. After so many listens though I'm totally digging it, especially this song.

Steven Wilson's new solo album, Grace for Drowning

Good god, I instantly love this album. It's very Steve, but it doesn't sound like Porc Tree out and out, rather something a bit more experimental, but still very cohesive and listenable - and fantastically well produced, of course. The jazz influence isn't too pronounced I'd say, mostly comes down to having some horns and woodwind here and there, a bit like how Maudlin of the Well use them. Then again I'm quite big on groups that use unusual instrumentation so maybe I just like it too much to care.

Seriously though, brilliant album. I feel like I'll have this on repeat for another week or two at least.

hey look it's some math rock by a band called And So I Watched You From Afar but it's not even all that creepy really and also pretty good! I've been listening to them and About Tess for the past few hours, but they're not on Youtube. Math!

Good god, I instantly love this album. It's very Steve, but it doesn't sound like Porc Tree out and out, rather something a bit more experimental, but still very cohesive and listenable - and fantastically well produced, of course. The jazz influence isn't too pronounced I'd say, mostly comes down to having some horns and woodwind here and there, a bit like how Maudlin of the Well use them. Then again I'm quite big on groups that use unusual instrumentation so maybe I just like it too much to care.

Seriously though, brilliant album. I feel like I'll have this on repeat for another week or two at least.

Heh, that's what I've been doing pretty much. I still don't like the jazz elements, but I love everything else.

Seeing him live in 6 days :p

Seeing as I love Paramore, Im loving these guys too as you can hear the influence. Rare to have such a talented female lead.

Bit of pop-punk / pop-rock from the UK(!).

The Hype Theory - We Will Be Singing

Seeing him live in 6 days :p

**** you.

Any idea who his live band is? Assuming you're talking about him specifically and not Porc. If he has King Crimson bros playing I will flip my shit.

**** you.

Any idea who his live band is? Assuming you're talking about him specifically and not Porc. If he has King Crimson bros playing I will flip my shit.

Apparently:

Touring members will include Marco Minnemann on drums, Nick Beggs on bass, Aziz Ibrahim on guitar, Gary Husband on keyboards, and Theo Travis on flute and sax.[24]

Gonna be weird to see him without Gavin, Barbieri and the always blissfully smiling Colin.

I've never actually listened to King Crimson... maybe I should.

Me, here, a month ago: "This Goldmund song bizarrely reminds me of the soundtrack to Ken Burns' Civil War documentary, except slower, which is a good thing because I like that soundtrack."

Just announced last week: "This winter we'll release All Will Prosper by Goldmund. Recorded over a period of 5 years, the album consists of Keith Kenniff's inventive and affecting arrangements of 14 Civil War-era songs and one contemporary song."

Ok wtf. Kinda weirded out but awesome and there's very little possibility for this album to do wrong, so I "pre"-ordered supposedly for mid-November release... but the label seems to be skipping the "pre" part entirely as they emailed saying they're sending it to me now. Yeah this whole thing is weirding me out.
Pretty music though, will be interesting to see how he changes it up given that the Civil War Soundtrack was already super fine. Oh, and they put up O Shenandoah as the sample track which just happens to be my favorite traditional American song. Frankly I'm not sure how I feel about the twinkly piano (almost toooo pretty) but the guitar was a good choice.

*pinches self*

[edit] It came. It is really really really good. (The twinkly piano is only on Shenandoah.) Everything is just the right amount of beautiful. <3

Haven't been able to get this track out of my head recently. I also love Foos. It's the riff during the verses that does it.

This track was on the Greatest Hits album so they could put something new on it to entice people into buying it. It's not "filler tr aack" though, it is fricking awesome tune IMO. I must see FFs live at some point. I fulfilled my dream of seeing Muse play live this year when they headlined Leeds Fest so now I wanna see these. One of my fave bands.

[video=youtube;ONkiLR5Ehys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkiLR5Ehys[/video]

For all the Battlestar Galactica Fans,and nerds like me....
Also Beautifull Machines from Paul Oakenfold is pretty good aswell!

Edit:The video!

Damn, Marco is the man, so much raw talent there. Also seen here auditioning for Dream Theater in a cookie monster shirt. Not to mention rolling with ****in' Necrophagist.

Need to get some more Crimson myself. I'd recommend this compilation as a way to get a feel for all the different eras they went through, lots of changes in lineup and style throughout the years. Court of the Crimson King and Red are musts though, obviously.~

Haha, what a fun happy-go-lucky guy. Tomorrow!

Will check Crimson out soonish.

Also, a discovery made on Spotify, exactly the kind of metal that I can enjoy:

Kind of symphonic, power metal-ish with an epic feel.

Back