My Laundry defies the laws of Thermal Dynamics

falconwind

Reaction score
Uh, I was sorting through my laundry, and as I reached the bottom of the basket, I realized that it was still warm, even though it had been sitting on the floor for over a week. I've noticed this phenomenon before, and was wondering if any of you smart people could give me an explanation.

I suppose it probably boils down to an extreme case of insulation.

Or I guess, strictly speaking, to defy the Laws of Thermal Dynamics, it would have to be warmer than when it started.

I assume depends on what washing powder you used. If you used Biological the enzymes in the powder can still be going through its chemical reaction well after the wash...

|MaTT| said:
I assume depends on what washing powder you used. If you used Biological the enzymes in the powder can still be going through its chemical reaction well after the wash...

I was gonna say it was stupidly impossible, but for some freaky reason this made sence.

Give that man a cookie.

Biological detergents and washing powders use lipases and proteases to break down fat and protein molecules from food stains which have remained on clothing. The fatty acids, glycerol and amino acids which are produced are removed in the water during the washing process.

info gleamed from google.

So you're telling me you washed your laundry and then let it sit in the hamper for a week? Wow...you're lazier than I am. Congrats!

I don't take my laundry out of the basket until I wear it...

Wardrobe? I don't even have anything to put my clothes away in...I suppose that is why they are all wrinkles by the second time I wear them....

I don't have a place to put my clothes. I'm poor :( Hold me ;(

Just throw it over the nearest object in my room and wear it when needed :hmph:

Least it saves time trudging through wardrobes and baskets.

Lil' Timmy said:
um do you mean "thermodynamics", or are you punning on us?

Thermal = Related to/using/producing, or caused by heat.
Dynamics = Relating to energy or to objects in motion.

Combine these two and BOOM, you get....

Thermodynamics = Relationships and conversions between heat and other forms of energy.

Thermodynamics is the generalised term for the subject under discussion. But it is derived from Thermal Dynamics. Then other forms of energy were included under the heading of "Thermodynamics". Any university level paper on the subject will refer to Thermal Dynamics consistantly so the reader is aware the discussion is directly related to the transfer/production of heat.

I chuck my clothes in a pile in the corner of my room. I've had to throw a couple of shirts out for this weird smell that can't be washed off, but everything else is fine by my standards.

washing? clothes? underwear? all these wierd words..

Direwolf said:
I think he just built his house over a lava tube.

That's it! lol.
Seriously though, I have no clue. Which is why I enjoy Literature in school instead.

|MaTT| said:

It makes sense, but I find it hard to believe that the chemical reaction would genrate enough heat to negate the effect of the cold floor. Heck, even if you put your hand on the floor it will get cold after a few minutes.

I think there might be some other simpler explanation (i.e. a hot water pipe running under that spot on the floor).

LoneDeranger said:
It makes sense, but I find it hard to believe that the chemical reaction would genrate enough heat to negate the effect of the cold floor. Heck, even if you put your hand on the floor it will get cold after a few minutes.

I think there might be some other simpler explanation (i.e. a hot water pipe running under that spot on the floor).

Or a leprachaun keeps urinating on the washing every half and hour, but it dries instantly and leaves no smell

Murray_H said:
Or a leprachaun keeps urinating on the washing every half and hour, but it dries instantly and leaves no smell

Or a miniature cold fusion reactor inside his underware ... :LOL:

it could be bacteria living inside your cloths. Think of a steaming pile of compost, that's bacteria giving off heat as they multiply, same thing could apply to old laundry

If the "floor" is the second floor of a building then its possible that the spot your cloths hamper sits on could be direcly above a heating duct.

The floor would be heated by the duct running underneath it and would be kept warm by the insulative action of your clothing, thus keeping your undies dryer-fresh all week. You are the luckiest man alive.

Maybe there's a tiny wormhole near the floor of your room. You're clothes are probably shifting rapidly from one dimension to another and back again. And as everyone knows, rapid-dimensional shift keeps ANYTHING warm. And I do mean anything.

the same thing happens to me but thats cause my cat pisses on clothes.

im sure this helps ur guy's arguments

Dan said:
it could be bacteria living inside your cloths. Think of a steaming pile of compost, that's bacteria giving off heat as they multiply, same thing could apply to old laundry

Yeah, except for the fact that they are CLEAN.
Oh, and btw, if your dirty laundry starts to steam... for god's sake clean it, or burn it or something!

pHATE1982 said:
Thermal = Related to/using/producing, or caused by heat.
Dynamics = Relating to energy or to objects in motion.

Combine these two and BOOM, you get....

Thermodynamics = Relationships and conversions between heat and other forms of energy.

Thermodynamics is the generalised term for the subject under discussion. But it is derived from Thermal Dynamics. Then other forms of energy were included under the heading of "Thermodynamics". Any university level paper on the subject will refer to Thermal Dynamics consistantly so the reader is aware the discussion is directly related to the transfer/production of heat.

Yes, this is correct. It was a typo that I didn't care enough about to fix. But as I said before, it really doesn't defy the laws of Thermodynamics, it's just some unseen process at work.

I will check for any geothermal vents in my living room, but I'm inclinded to believe that it is the enzymes still at work.

Back