Napoleon: Total War

Shem

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDCg9bHzVg&hd=1

From Steam:

Napoleon: Total War™ is the new chapter in the critically acclaimed Total War™ series and opens up a new narrative layer to the genre-defining franchise. From the early Italian campaign to the battle of Waterloo, Napoleon covers two decades of relentless battles, a backdrop of a world in flames against which the story of an extraordinary military career unfolds.

Whether you play as the legendary general or against him, the outcome of war can never be guaranteed. The course of history relies on your ability to lead your troops through the most intense battles as never seen before in a Total War game.

The genre-defining franchise brings Napoleon to life — Napoleon: Total War defines a new standard within the genre with exciting characters and a cinematic narrative, mind-blowing battle sequences and an unrivaled mix of turn-based and real-time strategy.
Three new episodic campaigns — Take command and lead your armies on land and sea over three campaigns: Italy, Egypt and Mastery of Europe. The seamless mix of objective-based missions and sandbox experience makes this the most complete Total War experience to date.
Cutting-edge multiplayer — Napoleon features fully integrated multiplayer modes and a complete set of online functionalities: Steam achievements, gameplay bonuses, uniform editor and voice communications.
All new Napoleonic battles and units — Advanced weaponry enables new tactical options and even more exciting real-time battles on an epic scale, while the highly detailed environments and improved battlefield buildings guarantee a realistic recreation of famous historical battles.

So, do you plan on getting Napoleon: Total War? I played Empire: Total War and previous games, and I have to say, they were all unique in their own way, with each one set in a different time period.

Yes I am going to get it and I am going to love it just like every other Total War game.

Only if they vastly improve the AI.

Currently I'm playing HistWar Les Grognards, whilst not nearly as pretty as the modern Total War games, it is far more realistic, and I dare guess, a more realistic representation of Napoleon-era warfare than N:TW can ever hope to be.

Can't see how this will be any different than Empire. I may get it when it hits a reduced price like I did with Empire, but even then, just seems like more of the same.

I'm really hoping for a focus on multiplayer this time around. Empire's multiplayer was the best part of the game. There were only two 2v2 maps, but every battle played out completely differently. Too bad the infrastructure around the games itself was nonexistent, and the community too.

Looks exactly like Empire. :|
They're charging $40 for something that seems like it could be cheap DLC?

Well, it's coming out in February, 2010, so make what you will of that. I think it's a little too early, considering that Empire: Total War was released in March of '09, about nine months ago. But, you see, I'm not one of those people who attempts to boycott a game (I'm hinting at you, L4D2 boycotters) because of its release date.

I couldn't get into Empire's gameplay, especially the battles. I'd much rather have a sequel to Rome or Shogun.

Empire was awful, so I have every expectation this will be too. Total war is sword/axe/other malicious hitting weapon tactics, NOT standing in a line and shooting people.

I hope this game ends with me being exiled and getting poison in the ear.

Kind of want. But I firmly believe that this should have been an expansion pack for Empire, not a stand alone game, 1700 - 1800 always felt like far too a constrained period of time. With the same basic gameplay it could have streched from the mid 17th century all the way to the dawn of the first world war.

To be honest I rather either have a rehash of the earlier games or something that differentiates its self from Empire a bit more, such as mid to late 19th century with the American Civil war, strife in Europe, Colonial campagins in Africa and Asia and so on.

Can't see how this will be any different than Empire. I may get it when it hits a reduced price like I did with Empire, but even then, just seems like more of the same.

Seriously. They keep pumping this shit out way too fast without making AI improvements like they have needed to since... forever.

Empire was awful, so I have every expectation this will be too. Total war is sword/axe/other malicious hitting weapon tactics, NOT standing in a line and shooting people.
I challenge you to go online and succeed with your strategy of "standing in a line and shooting people".

Ah, a good friend of mine is working on this. He says it might even work on lunch! It has been coined... empires that isnt broke.

Empire was sort of 'meh', in my opinion, so while I loved Rome and Medieval 2, I might wait a while before getting excited. My biggest gripe about Empire though was really how all units looked the same! Medieval 2 had unique-looking units for each nations, which made for great variety and having to combat different types of units almost every time. Empire did not have this, and coupled with truly boring siege-battles, the AI being stupid it just wasn't as enjoyable.

My biggest gripe about Empire though was really how all units looked the same!

I wish there was more deviancy inside of units, but imperial Europe pretty much just had rows and rows of Line Infantry.

Republican Guards are the best damn unit in that game, by the way.

HEY GUYS!

WWII TOTAL WAR WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER HUH?

Just think of it, a game where you can wage the most global of all wars! Unprecedented!

HEY GUYS!

WWII TOTAL WAR WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER HUH?

Just think of it, a game where you can wage the most global of all wars! Unprecedented!

Trenches: Total War

It'll be the ****ing best game ever. Sit there for two hours bombarding the enemy with artillery, then charge, retreat, and try again later.

Trenches: Total War

It'll be the ****ing best game ever. Sit there for two hours bombarding the enemy with artillery, then charge, retreat, and try again later.

And watch as your armies slowly succumb to attrition in the most pointless way possible.

I hope they don't take the series farther than 1899, simply because there are so many other strategy games set in World War I and World War II, like Company of Heroes.

EDIT: Actually, there's only a lot of World War II RTS games, not World War I. I can tell it would be quite boring with your troops in trenches, waiting for the enemy to attack.

There's a lot of WW1 RTSes or games in general? Really?

In all seriousness though, the Total War games has no place left to go really.
They're just going to keep upgrading past games.(WHERE THE **** IS SHOGUN 2?!)

EDIT: Actually, there's only a lot of World War II RTS games, not World War I. I can tell it would be quite boring with your troops in trenches, waiting for the enemy to attack.

Well, I mean- there *were* maneuvers that came tantalizingly close to Blitzkrieg, tanks and infantry and aircraft moving together through towns and fields that would make for good TW-battles, but largely yes, there would be a lot of sitting in trenches, 'blowing the whistle' and hope not more than two thirds of your troops died before they reached the enemy...

Well, I mean- there *were* maneuvers that came tantalizingly close to Blitzkrieg, tanks and infantry and aircraft moving together through towns and fields that would make for good TW-battles, but largely yes, there would be a lot of sitting in trenches, 'blowing the whistle' and hope not more than two thirds of your troops died before they reached the enemy...

The Eastern front would be better for a WW1 game, as there were less trenches. Trenches werre primarily on the French border, so Russia v Germany was more about actual warfare.

Definitely! It needs purty graphics!

I SUMMON YE, THREAD

Just got Napoleon. It's a fantastic improvement over Empire. Here's why I've been a bit giddy...

• You can open up your single-player campaign battles to online opponents. This is the reason I got the game. It makes every battle exciting.
  • Speaking of which, there's a two-player multiplayer campaign.
  • The AI is still no match for a human, but it's at least reasonable now. It no longer thinks that square formation is absolutely unstoppable.
  • Atmosphere. The campaign music is perfect. Lines of infantry leave trails of dust as they march, and even play little marching tunes. Artillery leaves gaping holes in the ground, and makes the camera flash and shake. It's intense.

Basically, if you liked the general idea of Empire but found it unpolished and unstable, this is your game. It's $40 right now, which may be a tad steep for what's essentially an awesome (standalone) expansion pack, but I would say it's definitely $10 better than your average expansion pack. If you're a big total war fan, or see it go down to $30, you need to strike.

• You can open up your single-player campaign battles to online opponents. This is the reason I got the game. It makes every battle exciting.
  • Speaking of which, there's a two-player multiplayer campaign.
How does this compare with Empire's MP Campaign beta? My friend and I are trying it, and our only gripe is that you can't both play as your own forces against the AI (you can only fight each other in the same battle, or fight as the AI's forces, and battles with a friendly reinforcing army are still 1 player only).

I remember playing Rome: Total War a few years ago, was pretty good. Thinking of getting one of the games from the series (perhaps Rome, again) - which one would you guys recommend?

I remember playing Rome: Total War a few years ago, was pretty good. Thinking of getting one of the games from the series (perhaps Rome, again) - which one would you guys recommend?

Rome is still my favorite.

The rest are still awesome.

How does this compare with Empire's MP Campaign beta? My friend and I are trying it, and our only gripe is that you can't both play as your own forces against the AI (you can only fight each other in the same battle, or fight as the AI's forces, and battles with a friendly reinforcing army are still 1 player only).
I haven't tried it yet. I was under the impression that you could ally against the AI, but maybe that just seemed logical. Honestly, for me, playing as allies in the multiplayer campaign just doesn't really work. You're going to end up fighting each other most of the time, anyway. I'm not sure how else it could really be done, though. I'll let you know how it works in Napoleon as soon as I give it a try.

I prefer the campaign drop in battles, because I like the unpredictability of a random online opponent.

I'd get Medieval II. Great value for 10 euro atm.

Rome is the best, and will always be. Not really interested in this one. Empire was nice for a little while, but I don't like having guns in this kind of game.

Empire was awful, this will be too, Total War should not have guns. Bring back the Rome days!

I got NTW, it does improve on a few big flaws in ETW, but feels more like a patch than a new game. Not worth buying.

I got NTW, it does improve on a few big flaws in ETW, but feels more like a patch than a new game. Not worth buying.
I have to disagree. It has everything I expect from an RTS expansion, like new units and campaigns, and the requisite shiny new features like supply lines. But then it has a bunch of stuff I don't typically expect from expansions, like awesome new multiplayer options and a layer of polish over the core of the game. So yeah, if you look at it like a brand new total war game, you'll be disappointed, but as an expansion, it's great, if a tad expensive. But the price will go down.

Back