Nazi US Marines?

I would say Tagaziel is ignorant about what ignorance is, but clearly he knows enough to be able to google it. I guess that means he falls under the other category he mentioned.

Maybe they are kiss fans.
kiss_poster.jpg

Thanks for confirming you don't understand.

It's you who doesn't understand the term. You're applying your own, very narrow definition of the word here. Ignorance is simply lack of knowledge. It does not imply anything else.

It's quite simple. Ignorance (lack of knowledge) is curable by the simple act of learning. However, terminal stupidity is not curable (yet). The case of using the SS insignia is a case of the latter.

If the Marines were ignorant of the meaning of the double sig runes, then they wouldn't use them as their logo. Double sig runes are sinister and menacing primarily because of their association with the Schutzstaffel (a paramilitary organization known for its fanaticism and ruthlessness). Recognizing the nature of the SS symbol and consciously choosing it to represent a military unit requires a certain level of familiarity with military history. This is why this case is a case of terminal stupidity.

It's you who doesn't understand the term. You're applying your own, very narrow definition of the word here. Ignorance is simply lack of knowledge. It does not imply anything else.

It's quite simple. Ignorance (lack of knowledge) is curable by the simple act of learning. However, terminal stupidity is not curable (yet). The case of using the SS insignia is a case of the latter.

Then you understand ignorance but you've just misapprehended my point: if you're completely ignorant of something, to the point where you're not aware that there's anything noteworthy about it, what immediate cause would you have to look into it? You say they could have googled it like that should have been obvious to them, but if they were clueless then it wouldn't have been. Simple as that.

If the Marines were ignorant of the meaning of the double sig runes, then they wouldn't use them as their logo. Double sig runes are sinister and menacing primarily because of their association with the Schutzstaffel (a paramilitary organization known for its fanaticism and ruthlessness). Recognizing the nature of the SS symbol and consciously choosing it to represent a military unit requires a certain level of familiarity with military history. This is why this case is a case of terminal stupidity.

I wasn't going to get into whether or not they used it knowingly because I had no more evidence than anyone else, but guess what I found by googling? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Sniper#Use_of_the_.22SS.22_symbol

A Marine official was quoted as saying that their leadership believed that the Marines did not understand the significance of the logo.[8] The Military Religious Freedom Foundation, which had helped circulate an image of snipers posing with a blue "SS" flag, questioned this assumption, writing that the flag was sold by a website dedicated to German World War II and Nazi memoriabilia.

LOL, so I guess at least one of them did look it up. :p

Back