Afghan sniper hunting US marines

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Somewhere in this dusty town, concealed among the cornfields, irrigation canals and mud-walled compounds, is a man the Marines particularly want to kill.

They don't know what he looks like. But they know he is a very good shot with a long rifle, and, every day he remains alive, he is drawing Marine blood.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...5403980423346.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

The sniper struck first on Aug. 13, the day after Lima Company arrived. A Marine stepped out of his armored vehicle just 100 yards or so from a secure U.S.-British patrol base. He threw away some trash and exchanged a few words with another Marine. The sniper fired a single, lethal shot.

right out of Enemy at the Gates

Just do what we always do. Next time he fires just bomb the shit out of everything in a 2 square mile radius. Oh wait, I forgot. American lives matter, it's the Afghani ones that don't.

Sounds like a nuisance that needs to be permanently taken care of.

Hopefully they find him soon, before he causes any more fatalities.

Actually I wouldn't be suprised if he was trained by the CIA.

Are you not familiar with the CIA's history in Afghanistan and their role in funding and training the mujahideen there? Would you like a crash course?

Would you like to be in the same boat as Danimal?

It's more likely that whoever it is is a younger individual than those who were trained by the CIA in the 80's No Limit. It's not entirely unlikely that whoever it is was trained by those mujahideen however.

I just don't think the sniper is some 40-50 year old or older man.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was US trained either.

I don't know if it's less likely, we have no way of knowing the persons age since we don't know who it is. The 80s weren't that long ago and someone that was in their 20s then might be in their late 40s today, not that old. All I'm saying to claim "Iran did it" is absurd when it could just as likely have been the CIA or a variety of other things.

or maybe he was used to bullseye-ing womp rats in his T-16

he's not even top dog

During the U.S.-led offensive earlier this year in Marjah, another Helmand province hot spot, one insurgent sniper positioned himself two or three rooms deep inside a building, concealed well enough to hide the flash of his rifle's muzzle. His shots would travel room-to-room through the building, exit through a small hole in the exterior wall and hit Marines on a rooftop outpost. It took Marine snipers days to locate and kill him.

CIA trained people in how to take out Soviets. Soviet tactic was roll in with Mi-24s and T-7s and blow the shit out of things, CIA gave them the shit to blow that shit up. Could they have trained a sniper? Definitely... I don't think there's anything definitive, but it seems like he's using something better than the standard 30+ year old AK-47s everyone else is using. Scary though. Enemy at the Gates was a fantastic movie by the way.

He is fighting for his freedom more than we are fighting for his freedom, so I don't blame him at all for his actions. We need to stop trying to promote American corporate interests all over the world by ****ing over other countries and cultures. Killing "terrorists" is not how to combat terrorism. WHY THE **** won't anybody realize this?? Oh that's right, greed. :x

Oh, and when they are on our side , we glorify the shit out of snipers. Is there anyone here who, upon seeing Saving Private Ryan, didn't want to be that sniper??

all those who prefer to be that snipers victems raise your hand

<raises hand halfway then slowly lowers it>

He is fighting for his freedom more than we are fighting for his freedom, so I don't blame him at all for his actions. We need to stop trying to promote American corporate interests all over the world by ****ing over other countries and cultures. Killing "terrorists" is not how to combat terrorism. WHY THE **** won't anybody realize this?? Oh that's right, greed. :x

Oh, and when they are on our side , we glorify the shit out of snipers. Is there anyone here who, upon seeing Saving Private Ryan, didn't want to be that sniper??

Well... it's a simple fact for me. I want the war in Afghanistan to come to a close, but until that happens... well, I still root for our guys. I don't want them being sniped and killed by enemy combatants. Therefore, I hope this guy gets found and killed soon. I value the life of our soldiers far more than I value his life, particularly considering he's an enemy combatant.

I don't know if I would consider the Taliban champions of freedom.
I don't think they have any confirmation that this guy is Taliban or not. He may be some regular army guy or even a Pakistani who got fed up of Allied forces killing his friends, family, and countrymen under the guise of liberating the country. Seriously, I think if we all put ourselves in this guy's shoes and try to imagine what he has had to go through during HOW MANY years of war and death in his homeland then we all might change our tune a bit. I am sick of the media using the word "insurgent" as if it were a bad or evil thing. Our founding fathers (here in the US) were all insurgents and insurrectionists who used guerilla tactics like this all over the place and now they are our most prized and worshipped heroes.

I don't think they have any confirmation that this guy is Taliban or not.

No we don't. But we do know he lives in Afghanistan and is willing to kill US troops. For that reason I highly doubt he believes in freedom. Say what you want to say about the US occupation and the untold damage it has done to their country. But we are not the oppressors.

No we don't. But we do know he lives in Afghanistan and is willing to kill US troops. For that reason I highly doubt he believes in freedom. Say what you want to say about the US occupation and the untold damage it has done to their country. But we are not the oppressors.

Thank you,I knew you wouldn't agree with naive statement.

No we don't. But we do know he lives in Afghanistan and is willing to kill US troops. For that reason I highly doubt he believes in freedom.
True enough that he is currently residing in Afghanistan and is willing to kill US troops, but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe in freedom. Clearly he believes in at least his own freedom. He is taking matters into his own hands because he has either lost faith in or cannot any longer rely upon his country's government to repel foreign invaders. We all need to ask ourselves if the world, let alone each of those 2 besieged countries, is better off now than before we went into Iraq and Afghanistan. I would say that the grossly obvious answer is a resounding, "NO."

True enough that he is currently residing in Afghanistan and is willing to kill US troops, but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe in freedom. Clearly he believes in at least his own freedom. He is taking matters into his own hands because he has either lost faith in or cannot any longer rely upon his country's government to repel foreign invaders. We all need to ask ourselves if the world, let alone each of those 2 besieged countries, is better off now than before we went into Iraq and Afghanistan. I would say that the grossly obvious answer is a resounding, "NO."

It would be a better place if it wasn't for the same people your defending you treasonous s.o.b.
I guess you want it to remain stuck in the stone age ,male dominated and where women get their ears and noses chopped off if they disobey their Husbands.
Or where girls can't go School.We are trying to give them that opportunity but the same people you are defending poor acid over girls faces on their way to school.

they'll probably set a trap for him. if the sniper leaves behind something they'll just send some dogs after him. I'm pretty sure with all this tech around they'd still use dogs in War

Chanes are he doesn't believe in it. The entire country is muslim and by far the majority of them believe that you should be forced to practice that religion. By the same token they believe women should have no rights and gay people should be executed. Is this the case for every Afghani out there? No, but don't pretend it's not a huge majority because it is.

You might have a point that he believes in his own freedom. But that would make him a ****ing hypocrite.

It would be a better place if it wasn't for the same people your defending you treasonous s.o.b.
I guess you want it to remain stuck in the stone age ,male dominated and where women get their ears and noses chopped off if they disobey their Husbands.
Or where girls can't go School.We are trying to give them that opportunity but the same people you are defending poor acid over girls faces on their way to school.
The world sucks. People are oppressed all around this planet. DO you want to invade every single country that falls in to that criteria? How did that work out in Iraq? How long do you want to stay in Afghanistan to try and fix that shit pile?

Chanes are he doesn't believe in it. The entire country is muslim and by far the majority of them believe that you should be forced to practice that religion. By the same token they believe women should have no rights and gay people should be executed. Is this the case for every Afghani out there? No, but don't pretend it's not a huge majority because it is.

You might have a point that he believes in his own freedom. But that would make him a ****ing hypocrite.

The world sucks. People are oppressed all around this planet. DO you want to invade every single country that falls in to that criteria? How did that work out in Iraq? How long do you want to stay in Afghanistan to try and fix that shit pile?

I honestly think we can't stay past 2015 but you'll never see me say the stuff that he said.

Ok, to No Limit and unozero, I don't think it is "treasonous" to say that this man has a right to defend himself against a foreign invader. Anything else we read into the situation is totally conjecture. We have no idea what he believes in terms of treatment of religion or women and gays or the use of acid for extracurricular entertainment. All I am saying is that before people start saying we should bomb the shit out of them or kill this guy at all costs or even feel negatively toward him at all because he is called an "insurgent" by the media or because he has taken arms against forces from our respective countries, we need to look at both sides of the issue. Allied forces have killed over 1 million Iraqis and Afghanis since the War on Terror began. How many suicide bombs were going off on a weekly basis in either country before we stepped in? How many civilians were violently dying in either country before we stepped in? These wars have completely turned both countries into utterly chaotic death zones and have greatly weakened, not strengthened, the stability of the region. With as much chaos and violence and fear that is prevalent in these areas, it is no wonder that you have forces moving against the invaders, like this sniper. The world is not our (the US's) playground, but we act like it is and we are the schoolyard bully. If you don't do what we say, we force you do it. I don't know how any sane person could not see the imperative to stand up against such nonsense.

Ridge, you make no sense.

VOS, I didn't call you a traitor. I just think you're being irrational. The first thing your brain turned up with this story was "he's fighting for freedom". A really insane conclusion to jump to considering the part of the world we are dealing with.

Unozero, nobody ever made such a claim. If you want to be taken seriously stop setting up really lame strawmen. The point is the CIA has a history in that country and its possible they trained this guy. Nobody is suggesting that this is happening today or that every member of the taliban was trained by our government.

Actually I wouldn't be suprised if he was trained by the CIA.

Trained by Iran.

You know whats much more likley than either of these?

Trained by living in a country thats had an internal war for the last 40 years. He's probably been shooting since he could hold a rifle.

Guess it sucks to be a US Marine in Afghanistan a bit more than usual at the moment.

VOS, I didn't call you a traitor. I just think you're being irrational. The first thing your brain turned up with this story was "he's fighting for freedom". A really insane conclusion to jump to considering the part of the world we are dealing with.
Ah, I know you didn't. I did the lazy thing and tried to just address you both at once. A poor choice on my part as one argument is at least sensible and one is, well, other than that. My point about his freedom is that he probably has his best interests in mind more than the Allied forces do. I am not necessarily saying that his best interests are 100% noble and pure, but I think insofar as he is trying to repel an occupying force to return his country to the relative peace of the time before the war, from his point of view, his freedom depends on getting rid of these forces that have been disrupting his country for the better part of a decade. From our point of view, we only want to give freedom to the ones who share our value system which strangely doesn't care about collateral damage or potential education and rebuilding as much as killing as many "insurgents" as we can and installing a puppet government that will let us control them without complaint.

I guess in the end I wonder why this is news at all. It's war FFS. We have snipers all over the place I am sure. Here is an example of one they have. This is surprising why? These wars are complete rubbish and it is just a shame that so many have had to die to protect US interests at home and abroad.

Are you the new Danimal now?
give it a rest man.

>Al Qaeda (Or was that the Muhadajeen?) wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the CIA, surely they're not the only ones with such origins.

Naturally though, I can't say this guy is trained by them without researching it.

>unozero clutches desperatley to what CNN tells him

>I'm flattered that someone who knows the truth bears my name as a title. :)

The way they introduced him was ****ing badass.

They don't know what he looks like.
But he's drawing Marine Blood.

THIS SUMMER...
etc.

Would you like to be in the same boat as Danimal?

What boat would that be, exactly?

EDIT: I thought Predator Drones existed for this purpose?

VOS, shouldn't you be rooting for your country's best interests, whether it be in the right or wrong? If the war in Afghanistan, the campaigns against terror, are all to secure American interests, then perhaps you should be wanting your country to win, and not, you know, romanticize the enemy and hope that more US troops die?

I mean, come on, by your logic, he could be a serial panda rapist that feeds on the blood of puppies and the tears of little children, or a "freedom-fighter".

EDIT: I thought Predator Drones existed for this purpose?

I think that:

1. It might be hard to find one man hidden in the hills and mountains in the middle of nowhere.

2. Hellfire missiles are expensive to use on one, strategically irrelevant, guy.

VOS, shouldn't you be rooting for your country's best interests, whether it be in the right or wrong?
No chance in hell. I don't like the idea of nationalism or hegemony or oppression or exploitation or capitalism or warfare. My country's interests have far too often completely ignored or completely trampled all over the interests of other countries. I am not going to back them just because I happen to be "lucky" enough to live here.

I mean, come on, by your logic, he could be a serial panda rapist that feeds on the blood of puppies and the tears of little children, or a "freedom-fighter".
I think that is society's logic. The media from the opposing country can and will paint him to be as horrific as they like to serve their interests. Meanwhile, his side will paint him in the most positive light so as to further their cause. The truth is somewhere in between, but I will side with the little guy over the big guy most of the time in general (like siding with local French farmers when they destroy McDonald's locations because they are fighting for the livelihood of their friends and family and culture). That said, I don't want more people to die, but compassion holds no sway when greed is involved. ;(

Numbers said:
VOS, shouldn't you be rooting for your country's best interests, whether it be in the right or wrong?

this was ok when you were a teen numbers but come on even you have to grow up some time and start thuinking for yourself. I dont understand how absolutely everything can be so black and white for you. it's as if eeverything you know comes from a textbook and none of it comes from experience. you could quite possibly be the most sheltered person I've ever met

Back