New boson particle found, possibly higgs

Because that's the same attitude I see people in academia and pretty much everywhere use as a defence of ignorance about history and culture.

"Some parts of this hugely significant institution that pervades all of Western history are bad! Therefore we must ignore all of it and its effects! Just keep telling people it's bad!"
But nobody here expressed the second half of that statement, even indirectly.

Wow, talk about the God particle! I'm so glad you're all discussing religion again

That's only for Protestants. Catholics don't get booze. At mass.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about. I was raised not directly in, but around, this stuff.

Catholicisim isn't a flavour of Protestantism.

Only Catholics celebrate mass. Protestants call it something else.

This makes sense. Protestants just refer to it as "Holy Communion" as far as I'm aware. I think. My parents are Christians too but not Catholic. The church they used to attend was Methodist but they don't go anymore. :p

EDIT: F*ck that smiley.

Because that's the same attitude I see people in academia and pretty much everywhere use as a defence of ignorance about history and culture.

Judging a piece of culture as evil or bad or immoral isn't an excuse for turning off your brain.

So instead we must know the exact workings and details of everything in order to make a judgement of a thing on the whole? I guess everyone who despises Nazis without knowing the contribution they made to the Autobahn project, just isn't using their brain. /Godwins

I think its perfectly reasonable to pass judgment on an institution as a whole when you know the founding principles and their major actions, despite being ignorant of the less impactful events. It of course, doesn't mean everything is bad about it, but nobody here really says that about religion, so thats irrelevant.

Also, from the sound of it, Mass sounds like it embodies most of what is wrong with Religion. Promoting delusions, brainwashing, and being withholding ****ers not sharing your booze. And it all happens because of the Higgs Boson. What a shitty particle.

Actually, I would say that in terms of Irish history, understanding the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism is very important if you're going to criticize religion's influences here.

One example would be the Magdalene Laundries. They were basically concentration camps for women the Catholic Church didn't like. I think the last one closed in the 1990s. Now, Protestants started them in the name of charity, but Catholics turned them into the terrible, judgement ridden, hate fuelled prisons that they essentially became. So there's one pretty glaring (and highly influential) difference between how the two religions were run.

There are probably more, but I don't really care enough about it to go research them. As you guys probably know, my agenda is more feminist than atheist, so most issues I have with religion come from that. (Interestingly, the Protestant church, I believe, allows women to be priests, but even after all this time, the Catholic church still won't let women play. That's another fairly important difference).

Catholics also believe the bread literally turns into Jesus (Transubstantiation).

So basically Ghouls and Vampires are hiding in plain site, eating off the flesh of Jesus Christ and slirping his blood too!

Also how on Earth did a thread about the Higg Boson turn into a thread explaining the difference between the Catholic and Protestant churches?

Smug comment highlighting the absurdity of either/both sides.

Back