New Computer Build $515 - Critiques wanted!

Reaction score
I haven't kept up with computer hardware for about . . . 16 months & my computer is even older than that - so I'm a little behind. I did a lot of research today and came up with a possible build for a new computer. Here are the specs of my current computer.

Processor: AMD 2000+ XP, 1.67 GHz (overclocked to 1.8GHz)
Motherboard: Don’t remember, don’t care
Video Card: ATI 9800 Pro . . . well, scratch that, it died multiple times in multiple ways, poor driver support, etc.
Video Card: GeForce 4 TI 4800 SE 128MB – Pulled it out of the closet & this old b**** is still kicking, just like the Geforce 3 TI200 before her. Both excellent cards! Too bad it’s only DX8 & numerous years old.
Memory: 2x 512 GB (1GB) DDR 333

The core idea behind this upgrade is to get into the PCI-E / Socket AM2 / 64-bit / dual-core / DDR2 age & return back to the DX9 age. This will be used for heavy 3D Modeling/Rendering and video-gaming (among other intensive uses). A big factor in choosing many of these parts is reliability. The total for this upgrade is $515 & if you think you can do better for that price, please prove it (lol)!

Build:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AM2 (AMD) - $85
  • Processor Support: Socket AM2, Athlon 64 X2
  • Memory Support: 4x DDR2 800, 16gb
  • Video Card Support: 1x PCI x16
  • Storage Support: 4x ATA100 & 4x SATA 3Gb/s devices, RAID 0/1/0+1/5
  • Misc: 8-channel Audio, 1000Mbps LAN, 4x USB2, 2x PCIE x1, Onboard Video
  • Notes; Chosesn for good reviews, overclocking support, specs (socket, PCIe, 4x DDR2, SATA 3Gb/s) and low-mid range price.
13-128-010-04.jpg

AMD 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz - $182
  • 64-bit, Dual Core, Hyperthreaded
  • Socket: AM2 (Is this the correct/newest AMD socket type?)
  • L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB, L2 Cache: 2 x 512KB
  • Chosen for good power vs price, specs (64 bit dual core) benchmarks on Tom's Hardware & user reviews.

eVGA GeForce 7600GS 512MB - $145 (-20 rebate)
  • Core: GeForce 7800 GS, 400MHz, 12 Pipelines
  • Memory: 512 MB, 128-Bit, 800MHz GDDR2
  • Misc: Good Newegg user reviews, Cables Included
  • Notes: Prefer NVidia because of quality and long-term support. This card will only be used for about 12 months (DX10 will be in full force by then), so I went a little on the medium-low-end as far as price.

CORSAIR 1GB DDR2 800 - $141
  • 1GB DDR2 800
  • Cas Latency 5, Timing 5-5-5-12
  • Notes: Corsair seems to have unmatched quality & this is DDR2 800. I'll buy a matching 1GB stick in a month or two. I'm unfamiliar with timing specs; are these good timing specs?

Total = $523 + $12 (s/h) - $20 (rebate) = $515

Future Parts:
  • Extra case/power-supply so I can make my old computer a rendering farm & download machine.
  • Matching 1GB Stick
  • RAID on SATA 3Gbps (haven’t decided whether to do backup or speed route)
  • DX10 Video card (after they’ve been out 6 few months)

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means.
But I think it looks good!
In a non-knowing opinion.

Looks like you researched this a fair amount. Looks like a pretty decent machine, especially for the price. The only thing I'd have suggested is going Core 2 Duo, but the motherboards are still a bit pricey.

Don't buy new PC parts till after Xmas imo.
Why wait until Xmas; some specail hardware comming out then? I have a good job, so this won't make me broke or anything close to it.
Looks like you researched this a fair amount. Looks like a pretty decent machine, especially for the price. The only thing I'd have suggested is going Core 2 Duo, but the motherboards are still a bit pricey.
I'll look into it, but I need to save up some money for a custom suspension system, and some wide rims/tires for my Toyota MR2 Spyder. (he he)

stuff that just came out will be ALOt cheaper right after Xmas.

yup, the day after christmass or the week after christmas means SALES SALES SALES!!!!!.....and returns :D

I'd say wait for post-xmas and up it to a core duo like aboves mentioned. Shouldn't raise the price too much...

I am most likely wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Conroe chips are the better value for money.
Don't quote me on that though :p

The E6400 I think would most definately be a better buy...superb overclocking.

I did some more research on the 6400 Cure 2 Duo and evidently it can be overclocked (stable) to 3.1 GHZ, which is an insane 45% increase!

I was wondering where the universal CPU benchmark was on Toms Hardware or if it even existed . . . FOUND IT! :)
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

And here's comparing the two processors (the two red bars).
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=433&model2=469&chart=188

The 6400 seems to clearly pull ahead & after the insane overclocking . . . . *HUGE GRIN* I think it's easily worth the extra $40. It also looks like you can pair up ram modules for faster speeds (Jeez, I'm behind) so I should probably get matching 1GB sticks.

I'll try to come up with a new Cure 2 Duo w/ 2gb ram - which will probably be a little closer to $655 & post it later today.

I'd say get a Mobo with SLi, but Im not sure what would be faster. A single really good vid card or 2 regular ones.

A single card generally is better than 2 lower cards. The only time SLI is good if you get 2 top end cards. That's because you can't get a single card better than the top end until 6 months down the road when the new stuff comes out. SLI/Crossfire is waste of money imo. Until they do more than gfx that is.

The e6300 is faster than the AMD x2 4200+ on stock speeds. And they overclock way more than that. The e6400 is known to be able to hit 4.4ghz (with nitrogen cooling etc, bust still). It can reach 3.7 fairly easily with a proper aircooler and a good mainboard (asus P5B and P5W series).

I recently ordered an e6300 and an Asus P5B Deluxe. I plan to overclock the cpu about 90% or more (3500+mhz). It's the best bang for the buck you can get right now.

- Yes, X2 is for AMD2 (the latest AMD chipset)

- Yes, 5-5-5-12 is good for RAM in general, dunno how good it is for DDR2 tho. (oh and Corsair doesn't have 'unmatched' quality, but it is a very good brand. This page, for example, gives me eyegasms!)

- Are you gonna be able to run all of this ok? (what's the power rating on your PSU?)

5-5-5-12 are good DDR2 timings. If it were normal DDR, it would be about 2,5-3-3-6. Yeah OCZ has awesome ram as well :)

Latency timings aren't much of an issue with core2 duo's, whilst higher bandwidth provides good performance and decent headroom for overclocking.

edit: and yup, OCZ has sexy ram

:E

After reading this I realise I didn't really know what I was talking about.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/03/31/tight_timings_vs_high_clock_frequencies_uk/

Even if you don't understand what memory timing parameters actually stand for, it is still easy to understand that smaller cycle times represent quicker operation. For example, DDR memory runs at speeds between CL2-2-2-5 and CL3-4-4-7 clock cycle settings, while DDR2 varies from CL3-2-2-8 to CL5-5-5-15. The latter effectively doubles the latencies when compared to quick DDR1 timings, which is why DDR2 memory must run at considerably faster clock speeds to outperform DDR1.

One of my friends informed me that quad-core processors are comming out VERY soon & then benchmarks for DX10 cars are surfacing, so I think everyone is correct that I need to wait just a little longer.

The first few quad core cpus will be really, really, really, really expensive ($999 for a 2.6ghz version). Consumer level quad cores will emerge next year.

Back