Need a new processor, not sure which one is compatible with my computer

I selected the 9550 CPU and 4850 and got 210watts using that calc...
Don't select "4 physical CPUs" as that means 4x of whatever CPU you selected (4x9550's or 16 cores). To select a single quad core CPU just do "1 physical CPU" and the model (9550).

Damn you Asus, I missed that note
"A single Dual or Quad CORE CPU is still 1 physical CPU!"
So, 210-450=240w. Out of the 450, I'd say that you'd get about 400w max out of the unit, leaving you 190 actual watts (More-or-less) for other stuff.
IMO, you can never overspend on a PSU, unless its an actual power plant (then you can sell the leftover) but underspending on one can have real consequences. Just like your case, a PSU needs a room to breathe, and not having enough headroom makes the unit push crap uphill.

Take Care.

Using that power calculator, I got 384w recommended for my system, (with 7 SATA drives and 3 PCI devices, 3 lighted 120mm fans and a huge 200mm fan). There wasn't an option for 200mm, so I used 250mm. Anyway, I run all my fans on the lowest setting.

I changed the GPU from X1900XT to 5870 (one I might be interested in) and got 394w recommended. I guess the X1900XT isn't very efficient, since the difference is only 10 w. Rather, the 5870 has a much better power per watt ratio.

I've got a 500w PSU.

However, I'm not sure if I should 'overclock my CPU!' using the fields. I use the Intel Turbo mode, which I assume means I should list it as overclocked, but it's variable, so I don't know what I should put.

I also left 'capacitor aging' blank because I don't know what to put there. It's a brand new motherboard. The only thing old in my system is the PSU itself.

Alright sorry to be a bother but, I was planning on getting Borderlands and thought I might get it on PC. I checked "Can you run it?" and it was maxed out on it, but so was TF2. So does anyone know if my PC could run it?

Can I run it usually doesn't lie so if it says you can you most likely can.

Well I think I found the problem, sometimes I would be playing TF2 and my fan would just kick in out of nowhere and roar like an engine. So, I put a fan up to my computer and the cooler it got the higher my frame rate. So I think I probably need a new fan.

What's your system like? (video cards, processor, etc.)

GTX260 * 1, Phenom II X4 955 BE, 4GB RAM, 2 * 120mm Case Fans, 1 * giant CPU Fan running at 1000RPM, etc.

So I guess it eats up at least 480W on full load.

GTX260 * 1, Phenom II X4 955 BE, 4GB RAM, 2 * 120mm Case Fans, 1 * giant CPU Fan running at 1000RPM, etc.

So I guess it eats up at least 480W on full load.

Unless you are experiencing some problem, then you should be fine. Your system isn't going to be at 100% CPU and 100% GPU at the same time for more than a fraction of a second, and even if it was, you are still within the boundary.

Unless you are experiencing some problem, then you should be fine. Your system isn't going to be at 100% CPU and 100% GPU at the same time for more than a fraction of a second, and even if it was, you are still within the boundary.

Oh good. :)

I was worried for a second there.

Well, that's just what I think. I don't know that much about them, to be honest!

I think you're right regardless, if there was a problem, it would have shown itself anyway.

Back