New Doug Lombardi Interview

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The guys over at DriverHeaven has posted an excellent interview with Valve's Director of Marketing, Doug Lombardi. The interview covers such topics as Doug's favoruite games, the latest minimum specs for playing Half-Life 2 and the status of Counter-Strike: Source. Here's a snip:

If (when ;) ) Half-Life 2 is successful and meets expectations will there be a Half-Life 3? More specifically; are there any plans for a part three now?

[Doug Lombardi] We’re focused on finishing HL2 at the moment. But once we’re finished with that, and had some time to rest, we have more stories we’d like to tell in the HL2 universe.
If you would like to read the full article then please do so, here.

he says "cs will be sold..." ?? i thought it was free?!
well nothing really now in the interview

I remeber as well Gabe saying that it will be packaged with hl2!

I imagine it comes free with HL2 but they'll also sell it seperately for those that don't want to buy HL2.

Minimum specs have risen significantly, I guess that´s good in a way.

Any one else think they are just saying the same (or nearly the same!) in every interview?

What about some new actual news, other than "we are all working hard.... blablabla!"

The in game screen shots are the first bit of new content since the E3. At least its something...

yup, what i really can make myself angry about is still the fact, about that halflife theft, is that valve says the community is so important for them cuz they helped in the investigation, but they don't give ANY MOTHER_CLOCKING BIT of info about anything. yeah, we know we're important. we can all feel it. so important they won't tell us a thing since a month or 3...

[RDH]MastahFrag said:
yup, what i really can make myself angry about is still the fact, about that halflife theft, is that valve says the community is so important for them cuz they helped in the investigation, but they don't give ANY MOTHER_CLOCKING BIT of info about anything. yeah, we know we're important. we can all feel it. so important they won't tell us a thing since a month or 3...
You never have anything positive to say do you?

Trust me, you'll thank Valve a lot more when you're playing HL2 and 90% of the game is completely new to you. If you knew everything about the game, the story, the graphics etc. then by the time you played it it'd all be boring.

A good piece of interview especially abt the min system requirment

He said that HL2 will be sold in the standard and collectors edition boxes... does this mean that the singleplayer only has been dropped? I guess that could make sense, those iterations for selling the game are old, and they could have dropped it by now, or Doug could have just forgot to mention it.

Chris_D said:
You never have anything positive to say do you?

Trust me, you'll thank Valve a lot more when you're playing HL2 and 90% of the game is completely new to you. If you knew everything about the game, the story, the graphics etc. then by the time you played it it'd all be boring.

ok. you got me. you are absolutely right. ofcourse i thought of having all the info already, and got to the same thing. you see, im just tired of waiting for these splendid games. one part of me says that is should know more about this (you find that odd, those E3 vids ROCK!), and another says i shouldn't. all of this gets the most of me and i start ranting all about stuff i want to know. and as my motto always was (and you know it chris) 'i will apoligise explicitly if this game is way beyond my expactations'. for now, i can only dream. you should understand that too, you just got ways to don't let it out. anways, when you get 6 interviews with exactly the same as their predecessors, you do get a lil itchy fingers.
for now, i try and be nice, ok?

[RDH]MastahFrag said:
ok. you got me. you are absolutely right. ofcourse i thought of having all the info already, and got to the same thing. you see, im just tired of waiting for these splendid games. one part of me says that is should know more about this (you find that odd, those E3 vids ROCK!), and another says i shouldn't. all of this gets the most of me and i start ranting all about stuff i want to know. and as my motto always was (and you know it chris) 'i will apoligise explicitly if this game is way beyond my expactations'. for now, i can only dream. you should understand that too, you just got ways to don't let it out. anways, when you get 6 interviews with exactly the same as their predecessors, you do get a lil itchy fingers.
for now, i try and be nice, ok?

Why are you acting as though HL2 is the only game in this world - rent something else to keep you busy. Or take some fresh air outside. :dozey:

lans said:
Why are you acting as though HL2 is the only game in this world - rent something else to keep you busy. Or take some fresh air outside. :dozey:

mmmm...Thief 3...mmmm...Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow....mmmm...Zelda and the Four Swords...

lans said:

hell no! i got alotta things to do outside craving for info... noo, i want alotta other things. halo2, Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault...don't worry, im well occupied :p

*edit* i might take some more fresh air. maybe i haven't got enough.

I can't wait for all the CS retail TNT2 users to scream in agony. Oh yeah thats going to be sweet.

its a great sign that they seem to have solidified the minimum specs. it usually means the games close to release

The min spec is:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Nice. My newly upgraded rig should handle Half-Life 2 like a champ!

Kyo said:
I can't wait for all the CS retail TNT2 users to scream in agony. Oh yeah thats going to be sweet.

Lol. Stupid newbs will get home with their copy of CS:Source and load it into their ancient computers. The get all excited for the purdy graphics and then they turn the settings to max. They load up a game and start crying because their copy is defective and lags a lot. They get another copy and it does the same thing. They finally realize that there is something to this upgrading thing and they purchase an Nvidia GeForce 5200 to make up for it. The game still lags...

At least there will be less people that say "F*ck you" when you kill them.

Doug Lombardi said:
The min spec is:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard

Hmmm....they have the Keyboard and the Mouse....

What about the monitor?....

Doug Lombardi said:
Great. We’re holding the first playable exhibition of it this weekend in Seoul, Korea.

Is anybody going to be there? I would think it to be slightly safer with it being July 4th here in the States.

Funny.

Doug said no bot support, and Cliff said that the plan is to include the official CS bot :p

The Thing said:
Hmmm....they have the Keyboard and the Mouse....

What about the monitor?....

Is anybody going to be there? I would think it to be slightly safer with it being July 4th here in the States.

Probably just because you have to have a keyboard and a mouse to actully PLAY the game, to get Freeman moving or something.

You don`t have to have a monitor to play the game, you just dont see anything. But if you are pro it works without a monitor ;)

hey! good specs!

will my (for these experts out there) rig handle hl2? (2,4 GHZ intel pentium 4, 512mb RAM, geforce 4 ti4200 128 MB with 8 X AGP, 80 Gig Disk etc etc...)

Back