New Driver game

Barnz

Retired Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't touched any racing game since High Stakes, but this video got me excited.

http://driver.uk.ubi.com/teaser

Yes, it's the first training level from the original game. My bet is it's going to be a remake.

A remake could be sweet, but I have to wonder how this series is even still afloat. Weren't the last few kind of trash?

The third one supposedly sucked. Dunno about the 2nd because I haven't played that either but I played the first to death. I wonder what the gameplay of this one will be like.

I loved the first 2. They were pretty much a predecessor of GTA3. Some of the missions were ridiculously difficult too, but that was one of the reasons I enjoyed them.

I honestly hated the Driver games. Horrible controls, lousy missions, plus I grew tired of the gameplay very quickly. bring on Road Rash 2010 or something far greater

Anything after the first game was shit. The final mission in the first game was difficult as hell. I couldn't beat Driver 2. Apparently, the new game is called Driver 1999. Yes, I know. It's a bad title.

Loved the original Driver. Hated the others in the series.

Lets hope this is much more like the first game.

First two was awesome and created some of the most hilarious moments I've ever seen on a game, seriously once on a Driver scenario, I drove off a ramp and began to rotate in the air with a cop car just behind me, the rotation of my car in the air lifted the cop car and catapulted it into the air. In the replay you could see the cop car flying over distant buildings, I literally pissed myself, from laughing too much.

A friend working on the game says the '1999' is just a marketing effup.

Loved the free roam in both the original Driver and DRIV3R, Parallel Lines can suck dick oh wait it already does.

I hope this one will have more free roam, and not try to be so grand theft auto-ish like PL did.

You liked

driv3r_4.jpg

???

I like that, with the unlimited ammo, all guns, all vehicles cheat codes. Only played single player to unlock all of the free roam areas.

My dad played that game religiously on my xbox.

Then I upgraded to a 360 and the shitty backwards compatibility broke it.

You're welcome, dad.

How is Driver still relevant any more? It was cool back on the Playstation to drive around in an open world (now hilariously dated) and the replay feature, but since then that concept has been bested many, many times. Now the only thing it has is the nostalgia-inducing name.

That said I do miss how ****ing brutal the cops were in Driver 1/2. Cops in games these days are pussies in comparison.

The first two games are classics. Everything else was pure garbage.
Driv3r was unnecessary. Not to mention, a huge disappointment. They put more effort into the marketing than they did into the actual game. GTA has already surpassed these type of games any way. I just don't see the point of them releasing another one.

That's a good story, tell us all another.

Really? :D Well here goes..

It all started when our uber geek, Jeff, woke up in a secret vineyard. It was the fifth time it had happened. Feeling abnormally displeased, Jeff grabbed a potato, thinking it would make him feel better (but as usual, it did not). Heart filled with earnest fortitude, he realized that his beloved diary was missing! Immediately he called his redheaded stepchild of a 'friend', Bill. Jeff had known Bill for (plus or minus) 550,000 years, the majority of which were eccentric ones. Bill was unique. He was ingenious though sometimes a little... annoying. Jeff called him anyway, for the situation was urgent.

Bill picked up to a very happy Jeff. Bill calmly assured him that most 3-legged wallabies yawn before mating, yet 3-legged wallabies usually surreptitiously sigh *after* mating. He had no idea what that meant; he was only concerned with distracting Jeff. Why was Bill trying to distract Jeff? Because he had snuck out from Jeff's with the diary only eleven days prior. It was a enticing little diary... how could he resist?

It didn't take long before Jeff got back to the subject at hand: his diary. Bill belched. Relunctantly, Bill invited him over, assuring him they'd find the diary. Jeff grabbed his George Foreman grill and disembarked immediately. After hanging up the phone, Bill realized that he was in trouble. He had to find a place to hide the diary and he had to do it randomly. He figured that if Jeff took the spaceship, he had take at least ten minutes before Jeff would get there. But if he took the time machine? Then Bill would be excessively screwed.

Before he could come up with any reasonable ideas, Bill was interrupted by eight insensitive Care Bears that were lured by his diary. Bill cringed; 'Not again', he thought. Feeling concerned, he fearlessly reached for his dangerous oil-soaked rag and aimlessly grabbed every last one of them. Apparently this was an adequate deterrent--the discouraged critters began to scurry back toward the swamp, squealing with discontent. He exhaled with relief. That's when he heard the time machine rolling up. It was Jeff.

----o0o----

As he pulled up, he felt a sense of urgency. He had had to make an unscheduled stop at Egg Roll King to pick up a 12-pack of live hand grenades, so he knew he was running late. With a calculated leap, Jeff was out of the time machine and went indiscriminately jaunting toward Bill's front door. Meanwhile inside, Bill was panicking. Not thinking, he tossed the diary into a box of ripened avocados and then slid the box behind his hammock. Bill was pleased but at least the diary was concealed. The doorbell rang.

'Come in,' Bill flamboyantly purred. With a deft push, Jeff opened the door. 'Sorry for being late, but I was being chased by some clueless zealous...zealot in a nappy, busted-out hatchback,' he lied. 'It's fine,' Bill assured him. Jeff took a seat nearby where Bill had hidden the diary. Bill turned red trying unsuccessfully to hide his nervousness. 'Uhh, can I get you anything?' he blurted. But Jeff was distracted. Just as zero people expected Bill noticed a stupid look on Jeff's face. Jeff slowly opened his mouth to speak.

'...What's that smell?'

Bill felt a stabbing pain in his ear when Jeff asked this. In a moment of disbelief, he realized that he had hidden the diary right by his oscillating fan. 'Wh-what? I don't smell anything..!' A lie. A selfish look started to form on Jeff's face. He turned to notice a box that seemed clearly out of place. 'Th-th-those are just my grandma's potatos from when she used to have pet venomous koalas. She, uh...dropped 'em by here earlier'. Jeff nodded with fake acknowledgement...then, before Bill could react, Jeff randomly lunged toward the box and opened it. The diary was plainly in view.

Jeff stared at Bill for what what must've been ten minutes. Absolutely thrilled, Bill groped explosively in Jeff's direction, clearly desperate. Jeff grabbed the diary and bolted for the door. It was locked. Bill let out a curious chuckle. 'If only you hadn't been so protective of that thing, none of this would have happened, Jeff,' he rebuked. Bill always had been a little stupid, so Jeff knew that reconciliation was not an option; he needed to escape before Bill did something crazy, like... start chucking ninja stars at him or something. Suddenly inspired by the wise teachings of Confuscious, he gripped his diary tightly and made a dash toward the window, diving headlong through the glass panels.

Bill looked on, blankly. 'What the hell? That seemed excessive. The other door was open, you know.' Silence from Jeff. 'And to think, I varnished that window frame two days ago...it never ends!' Suddenly he felt a tinge of concern for Jeff. 'Oh. You ..okay?' Still silence. Bill walked over to the window and looked down. Jeff was gone.

Just yonder, Jeff was struggling to make his way through the haunted thicket behind Bill's place. Jeff had severely hurt his armpit during the window incident, and was starting to lose strength. Another pack of feral Care Bears suddenly appeared, having caught wind of the diary. One by one they latched on to Jeff. Already weakened from his injury, Jeff yielded to the furry onslaught and collapsed. The last thing he saw before losing consciousness was a buzzing horde of Care Bears running off with his diary.

About two hours later, Jeff awoke, his armpit throbbing. It was dark and Jeff did not know where he was. Deep in the inhospitable foxy forest, Jeff was exceedingly lost. In a blinding moment of misguided bravado, he remembered that his diary was taken by the Care Bears. But at that point, he was just thankful for his life. That's when, to his horror, a oversized Care Bear emerged from the secret vineyard. It was the alpha Care Bear. Jeff opened his mouth to scream but was cut short when the Care Bear sunk its teeth into Jeff's double chin. With a faint groan, the life escaped from Jeff's lungs, but not before he realized that he was a failure.

Less than three miles away, Bill was entombed by anguish over the loss of the diary. 'MY PRECIOUS!!' he cried, as he reached for a sharpened wolverine. With a careful thrust, he buried it deeply into his love handle. As the room began to fade to black, he thought about Jeff... wishing he had found the courage to tell him that he loved him. But he would die alone that day. All that remained was the diary that had turned them against each other, ultimately causing their demise. And as the dew on melancholy sappling branches began to reflect the dawn's reddish glare, all that could be heard was the chilling cry of distant Care Bears, desecrating all things sacred to virtuous men, and perpetuating an evil that would reign for centuries to come. Our heroes would've lived unhappily ever after, but they were too busy being dead. So, no one lived forever after, the end.

I think that deserves applause for its awesomeness.

Oh how I loved Driver, I bought it on PSN & haven't touched it though. It's just not as fun as it was on PC in 2000.

Oh & this:
OMFG TEH GRAFICS IS EPIC!

I loved the first two games. And despite what the droves of bandwagon hoppers may say, Driver 3 wasn't half bad either. Parallel Lines was just an average GTA clone.

A return to form would be ideal. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if you couldn't get out of the car at all like in Driver 1. Or maybe just be able to run around and switch cars/flip switches like in Driver 2. Or they could actually be cool and try and create on-foot chases as cool as the car chases. As long as it doesn't turn into a third person shooter when on foot it's fine by me. Driver is about car chases and I want to spend at least 90% of my time in a car.

Back