New enemy ideas

To be perfectly honest i think Gearbox was better at making expansion creatures , they had such wierd ideas. Valve just takes the same thing but change it slightly , like in MMO's where they change the colour of a creature and change its name.
Valve just take the same thing and change it slightly? Gearbox enemies didn't even had different AI. The pit drone was a reskinned bullsquid that was made faster and the shock troopers were recoded human grunts (replace guns with shock roach and grenades with spores).

True but Gearbox did it in a cool way. Valve had so many chances to reintroduce old enemies that were actually cool like the bullsquid , houndeye etc. but didnt in favour of a new breed of what we have already seen (worker antlion and the zombine , although the zombine was cool). Niether of them had many new animations , the grenade priming and running for the zombine and the spitting for the worker.

Edit : And the matter of fact that there was only three species of aliens left over in HL2 , it would have been good to have more and not just rehashes. Thats why i liked Gearbox because they introduced interesting new species.

I think the Gearbox expansions failed miserably, and that includes Race-X. But hey, that's me.

^That. Meaning the enemies, the games were not too bad but the enemies sucked.

Think about it, all we can do is wait and imagine. We have no little insight like we had in Episode 1. In Ep1 we had the hunter on the screen. But now, not counting the advisors, we have just about nothing. :(

Yeah but the xen aliens did rock and valve decided to almost completely remove them. They were awesome right? right?!

Partly.

Some sucked large eggs, while others rocked.

Example of ones you deem sucky please. I bet Gonarch is one right?

Gonarch is kind of one for me. It was retarded and felt too much like a 2D video game boss battle. Fight it, it runs away to a new place, fight it, it runs away again.

But I like the idea of one or several mother headcrabs which just give birth to hundreds at a time.

So yeh a bit :|

Yeah i feel the same. I also thought the controllers were a bit lame , and alien grunts but they werent as bad , just the idea of built in armour. I mostly thought the intelegent alien enemies were the worst because i liked the idea of the aliens being just "animals" accidentally introduced into earth (things like bullsquid , headcrabs etc) because all aliens in every other game has been intelegent and i thought valve was doing something different. I didnt mind the intelegent ones though they were a major part of the plot so ... meh.

There wasnt very much BIG BOSS aliens in half life 2 (yet). There was only the ant lion guards, some helicopters, striders, hunters ect. etc. There should be massive gaint aliens that gordon should destroy, eg. in half life one - the pit worm, gonarch, the gorgaunta (note my spelling).... see my point ??

I think the "big boss" in Ep3 will be an advisor or two , maybe three... And some striders. And a gun ship or three.

of a new breed of what we have already seen
... So adding diversity to a current breed of enemy isn't preferred to adding old stuff back in because... 'we have already seen' it? What? The worst thing about the Acid-Antlions isn't that they're just a minor update of the existing antlion design, because that is blatantly not true. If anything, the worst thing is that they're a way of sneaking back the tired old bullsquid gameplay into the game without causing a genuine outcry against things 'we have already seen'.

Not a fan of 'Race-X' either. I'd concede that the gameplay was good enough, but they weren't very compelling visually. They took the rather accidental cartoon-stylings of the original game and ran a hell of a long way with them. It's tough reconciling HL2's visuals with HL1's at the best of times, but Opposing Force may as well be a Timesplitters game.

The worst 'new' Episode Two enemy was the Guardian. They didn't have to have an 'anltion king' and make it so you were 'as big as its toe-nail', but having a real Guard-plus instead of this cheap 'go-faster green' substitute should have been essential. As much as I like the game, it smacks generally of laziness. It's what Half-Life 2 was promised to be in 2003, not what a game 4 years down the line should be.

Yeah it would be cool if i can vaporize a advisor (he'll pay) ;)

I suppose im the only one who likes bull squids and hound eyes then , also race-X.

I dont think using existing skins as a basis for a new zombie type would work because they have different mappings on the model (I.E the zombies head is tilted back , while a rebels head is movable , therefor the skin would be off in the face).

Maybe if the idea for Cave Johnson being installed within a GLaDOS-style supercomputer (See front page)
It could be possible that due to some side-effect of having his consciousness removed during the end of HL2 Breen got transfered to the Borealis' GLaDOS computer. I.E. Mecha-Breen

I think everyone is thinking to linear. Combine this, Zombie, Synth that. I don't think it's beyond the abilities of Valve to come up with something totally new & out of the ordinary for EP3 that might have nothing to do with anything we have seen before yet totally work.

I think the Gearbox expansions failed miserably, and that includes Race-X. But hey, that's me.
I liked Op4 but Race-X were utterly dreadful. The pit drones were quite sweet in their own weird way but other than that, Race-X was dull. And don't even get me started on the beefed up zombies... Gah.

I've heard a bit that Striders and Hunters are suprisingly living things, so try to imagine a Zombie Hunter or Strider... ok the Strider thing would take a big ass headcrab and they would both look weird, but just try to image something like that... if you can... even i can't...

If you cannot, Fisshy Vrakery, then no one, I repeat no one can.

Therefore, I can.

Everything must be headcrabs !!!

Just joking, but headcrabs have been in half life from the beginning and it would be cool if there's some kind of arctic headcrab... also - why are there only 'normal zombine'? what about a 'fast zombine' or a 'poisen zombine'? anyway, thats just what i think... so why would it be in ep3 ??

Some idea that i had for a long time now.... What about a Vortigaunt Zombie? It could be a boss or something, cause it will be smart(sorta) and have electric powers.

Here's a pic - dont laugh :

I named this one - Zombigaunt :dork:

Attachments

• Zombigaunt.PNG
    Zombigaunt.PNG
    107.7 KB · Views: 388
Banana, I already mentioned the fast of poison zombine idea.....
As for the MawVort* it would be cool, though it would have to use the electrical attack to be awesome.

*Zombies are MawMen, why not?

And so starts the noob spanking.

Maybe if the idea for Cave Johnson being installed within a GLaDOS-style supercomputer (See front page)
It could be possible that due to some side-effect of having his consciousness removed during the end of HL2 Breen got transfered to the Borealis' GLaDOS computer. I.E. Mecha-Breen

I hope you arent serious , for the sake of all the kittens you could kill if you were.

I've heard a bit that Striders and Hunters are suprisingly living things, so try to imagine a Zombie Hunter or Strider... ok the Strider thing would take a big ass headcrab and they would both look weird, but just try to image something like that... if you can... even i can't...

"heard a bit"? Valve has been pushing the idea but not directly saying its true since before HL2 even came out. You even see a striders brain in Ep2 , although it looks heavily moddified due to the LEDs lining it and the fact it can be picked up with the GG.

also - why are there only 'normal zombine'? what about a 'fast zombine' or a 'poisen zombine'? anyway, thats just what i think... so why would it be in ep3 ??

We were talking about that a page ago , couldnt you just press the little button to go read it?

Arctic Headcrab/Zombie would be cool, considering Headcrabs CAN adapt to their environments (Poison & Fast). I'd expect they white and furry.

A Behemoth-sized synth would be pretty cool for a one-off encounter, possibly fighting it in a 'Shadow Of The Collosus' style.

I'm also in favour of bringing back the Houneye. Not BUllsquid, though, since we have the Acidlions now.

Banana, I already mentioned the fast of poison zombine idea.....
As for the MawVort* it would be cool, though it would have to use the electrical attack to be awesome.

*Zombies are MawMen, why not?

sorry guys.. i didnt really have time to read all the pages

btw... what happend to all of earth's animals, dogs - cats (except for the birds) ect.?

Yeah , IIRC Alyx says something very vague about earth wildlife being killed , or maybe that was Eli.

Poison and Fast Zombines would just seem like rehashes, but I can see them adding a torso variant.

What does IIRC mean anyway?
But I think a MawVort could work in say, Half Life 3, but not Episode 3.

How about a new version of the Zombine that actually shoots a pulse rifle, but has shit for aim. I'm pretty sure Valve would find SOME way to make a creature like that not sound so... suckish...

They had a toying around with snarks in Valves Multi-threading tests, whether or not they will eventually come back as an enemy is another question.

But it would be freaky though; your walking down the hallway and then you hear this ever louder scutlling, and all of a sudden a swarm of snarks come down the corridor (The Mummy Scarab style), and your trying to blast multitudes of them with your shotgun. warding them off with fire would be interesting gameplay mechanics.

Obviously they have had time to breed, like the leeches.

How about a new version of the Zombine that actually shoots a pulse rifle, but has shit for aim. I'm pretty sure Valve would find SOME way to make a creature like that not sound so... suckish...

Why not just stick to having Combine soldiers with the pulse rifles with good aim.

Back