New Nuclear Dawn Media

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Nuclear Dawn, one of the most high-profile of unreleased Source mods, has a few fresh pieces of media for us today, after several quiet months. The following shots show a beautiful render of a structure called a research station and a few guns that are fully in-game.

[br]<div align="center">
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
</div>[br]

Nuclear Dawn is also on the hunt for a couple of capable level designers. To check out more about the mod, visit their website.

I used the "submit news" link on the main page. Ennui appears to be chained to the mailserver.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the screens, but nice to hear that you're still going!

Yeah, I know. The attitude he had still tickles me, though.

The screens are pretty underwhelming, but progress is progress, and they've obviously kept them low quality for a reason

Lol I've thought of an amusing idea for a group...

Way to turn up the suck ND. I'd almost prefer if you guys went back to your photoshopping ways.

JESUS no AA i see....why have the past few screenshots from this mod been like that

My apologies for the relatively poor screenshot quality. The focus of the shots is on the weapon models, not on the environment.

On the other hand, when it's ND, there's always something to nag about. I'll better get used to it. :)

Is that a young Nietzsche Solaris?

Way to turn up the suck ND. I'd almost prefer if you guys went back to your photoshopping ways.

I don't remember anyone ever "photoshopping" in AA.

Also, from what I remember that map is a quickly drawn up test map, so keep you eyes on the weapon ;)

Still, that's some pretty low-res textures. Could have at least put up your textures at high :p
Got any videos of the animation?

Dude, I've been following this mod.... since I was a junior in high school. Its almost my second year of college.

Hurry up and put out a gameplay video or something.

Getting tired of waiting.

Besides, from what I hear this is still essentially vapourware.

No offense, but how can something be "essentially vapourware" ? There's already been a (short, I agree) video out and plenty of screenshots can be found on our boards.

Ah well, I'll go spank our hidden Photoshop department to crank it up a notch. :)

Correction: This is a 'Research Station' not a 'Resource Station' (it may even be called a 'Research Center', you'll have to ask Spk about that one).

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the screens, but nice to hear that you're still going!
I'm not sure why that level was used for the screens. Probably because it is quick to load up, and I'm guessing these screens were taken by the Source tech guy and not originally intended for public consumption. From what I understand, that level isn't even intended for release (it was used to rough out the first Alphas over 2 years ago). The fact the textures don't look like they're at high settings, and that that map has very bright lighting, doesn't do the models justice. Most people by now should be able to run ND on highest settings, so can expect it to look better than those screens on release.

Still, I stand by the fact that SJ is one of the best ****ing modelers still dedicating his free time to unpaid mod work. The team's absolute paramount concern for this structure was that the design was intuitive for (new) players, not that it looked 'da shiz'.

The key points were:
- it gives a strong indication of its purpose (technology/research/unlock weapons)
- it's small enough so that it can be dropped by the Commander quickly and not clog up the battlefield
- it has a multi-directional design allowing simultaneous access from all sides by multiple users
- it looks like something that can/should be interacted with (terminal/screen)
- and it can easily be identified as belonging to one team or the other (team skins)

Even if it has been a long time coming, I'm confident that SJ has come up with a design that covers all of those points.

Dude, I've been following this mod.... since I was a junior in high school. Its almost my second year of college.

Hurry up and put out a gameplay video or something.
Cool! Now you're old enough to make your own mod - don't disappoint us, now! Your E-cred depends on it :hmph:

Correction: This is a 'Research Station' not a 'Resource Station' (it may even be called a 'Research Center', you'll have to ask Spk about that one).
Might want to get that corrected on your website's newspost then.

There are three certainties in life:

Nuclear Dawn screenshots
Community anger at said screenshots
Nuclear Dawn dev rage

well get used to it i suppose...i'm starting to feel like ND is on par with Valve on releasing content...once in a blue moon

The prejudice against ND is pretty unfair, they're judged to a standard much higher and more critical than almost any other unreleased mod, but that is also mostly their fault =P

Cool! Now you're old enough to make your own mod - don't disappoint us, now! Your E-cred depends on it :hmph:

Judging by the mods already out for HL2, that's no excuse.

See I just don't care. Call me when you have something decent along the lines of internal alpha gameplay footage and not just some screenshots and random videos about nothing. Your making a great mod all the power to you but please either do proper media releases or just don't bother. Honestly bad media isn't good for your reputation at all.

I'm not sure why that level was used for the screens. Probably because it is quick to load up, and I'm guessing these screens were taken by the Source tech guy and not originally intended for public consumption.

From what I understand, that level isn't even intended for release (it was used to rough out the first Alphas over 2 years ago). The fact the textures don't look like they're at high settings, and that that map has very bright lighting, doesn't do the models justice. Most people by now should be able to run ND on highest settings, so can expect it to look better than those screens on release.

That's pretty goddamn worrying.

I've always liked ND, think it has one of the coolest art styles for a hl2 mod out there... but they've had some screwups that everybody apperantly knows about, which is a shame.

The should actually make a really cool media release to really impress us again, making us all horny ND media whores like back in the day...

haha yeah why not bring back DaveL : D

-Felix

PS: Is sa74n still on the team, he made some sick maps : /

Besides, from what I hear this is still essentially vapourware.
Heh, well everything is 'essentially vapourware' until its released.
Really, whats your point?

PS: Is sa74n still on the team, he made some sick maps : /
He made half a map for ND, which might be resurrected, but probably not by him. He's not still 'officially' on the team.

or you could make jokes about mods being stolen...

i could, but they aren't funny anymore. not to mention that actually has nothing to do with me. at all.

firearms 2 <- the ones your thinking of
firearms source <- the ones your not thinking of

i've put a freakin disclaimer in my signature now. sorry for a minor off topic shift.

I get confused between the two so easily that I wouldn't even know if you were lying to me, Undertone. It's like a philip k dick short story. I don't know which is real and which is fake.

Back