New Reference to Alyx Vance & Episode Three Found In SFM Code

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
ep3-python-script-jpg.23700
The community has found a new reference to Episode Three & Alyx Vance in the comments of a Python script for the Source Filmmaker. Also, there's a line of code that refers to a Source Engine 2. Here are the code snippets:

hhEyR.jpg

Line 49:
_CONTENT = None​
def content():​
'''​
returns a Path instance representing the %VCONTENT% path - path construction this way is super easy:​
somePropPath = content() / 'ep3/models/characters/alyx/maya/alyx_model.ma'​
'''​
...​
hhEyR.jpg

Line 76:
_TOOLS = None​
def tools( engine='Source 2' ):​
...​
hhEyR.jpg

Here's the Pastebin of the entire file for your convenience. If you have SFM, you can find the source for yourself at:

".../SourceFilmmaker/game/sdktools/python/global/lib/site-packages/filesystem/valve.py"

What's the point of reporting this? Well, it seems obvious that, after 5 years of complete silence or "hang in there's", Valve's getting comfortable talking about Half-Life again. It all started when a Valve employee was found wearing a Half-Life 3 shirt at a local game developer meetup. In my personal opinion, the leak was intentional and meant for the fans, but I'm loco like that.

Since then, some of Valve's head figures have begun to be more open about the subject in recent interviews. For example, Gabe Newell went on the 7DCD Podcast and openly discussed how 'Richochet 2' has a giant story arch, and it has been in development for years. Also, Jeep Barnett, with GamesTM, talked a little bit about how the Half-Life universe is so deep that "there's a lot of elements that tie together in unusual ways."

And more directly, Valve has planted hints in a Dota 2 blog post. A picture of a lambda, and the HTML alt tag for the image reads "Lambda Lambda Lambda".

Is this proof that Valve is finalizing the design for Episode Three? What do you think?

Thanks to walropodes from Facepunch for finding the new Ep3 reference!

Attachments

• ep3-python-script.jpg
    ep3-python-script.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23,069
Lets hope Geoff's visit to Valve is more than just CSGO and DOTA2

Also given Gabe will be swimming with sharks soon, I'm hoping he didn't put in his will "If I die, do not release Ep3"

That's right, thanks for the reminder.

And thanks for the images hairspray.

I'm sorry but this isn't all that big of news. Valve often leaves "private" code in their releases. Most times its compatibility code that doesn't get renamed or old tech demos that never really went anywhere and it happens all the time. Back in the episode 1 sdk there were a bunch of references to episode 2, and in the episode 2 sdk there was a bunch of dota2/ep3 code and registry keys left in windows around the time Valve started acquiring dota2 domain names. There is a lot of references out there all you have to do is look for them. That said I hope its time for a big reveal and I can't wait for the big 3.

Big reveal comming before spring 2013, probably in mid autumn 2012

Game release will come shortly afterwards.

Big reveal comming before spring 2013, probably in mid autumn 2012

Game release will come shortly afterwards.

Me thinks that any sort of reveal for HL3 in 2012 is optimistic at best, that is if a plan for 'Source 2' is on Valve's to-do list for HL3. I'd love for Valve to come back on-top again with Source 2, but things like SFM make it unlikely.

i wonder if this is why it's taken so long for them to put out the next episode because of the Source Engine 2

I've always wondered if the delays to ep3/HL3 were because of something else, a new engine was my suspicion. Also maybe because current consoles couldn't handle it and they're waiting for next gen. I'm sure they could do PC only at first but all at once may have more impact. Though it does beg the question: why not CSGO on same engine?

Is there any reason for those lines to be in the SFM?

Wow... this is really big news. These leaks have happened plenty in the past, so the jury is still out on whether this represents Valve 'opening up' more.

But the clear suggestion that Ep3 is using a new Source engine has me very excited. I was worried they would try to keep patching up the old engine, which, although still great, really was reaching the end of its life span, and other developers were starting to look quite a distance ahead. But it seems like CS:GO and DOTA 2 are the end of the second generation of Valve games. The idea of Valve blowing all competition out of the water again just like they did with HL2 is awesomely exciting.

And the other big piece of news here which most people seemed to have missed: it appears that the current iteration of the next Half-Life is indeed still EPISODE three, rather than Half-Life 3. In the end it's kind of just semantics what they call it, but this does indicate that the game will be a conclusion of the HL2 universe as originally intended, rather than a totally new story arc (although it will still be as big a game as HL2 I'd imagine); and that in turn means that there will be more Half-Life after it.

but this does indicate that the game will be a conclusion of the HL2 universe as originally intended, rather than a totally new story arc ; and that in turn means that there will be more Half-Life after it.
Why does that mean there will be more Half-Life after it?

I've always wondered if the delays to ep3/HL3 were because of something else, a new engine was my suspicion. Also maybe because current consoles couldn't handle it and they're waiting for next gen. I'm sure they could do PC only at first but all at once may have more impact. Though it does beg the question: why not CSGO on same engine?

That was my question too, but at the same time I think its important for Valve to revamp the engine and tools if they want to get attention in the next gen market (Unreal Engine 4, Cryengine 3, etc.)

Using a heavily upgraded engine or creating a new engine has been a theme for each full HL game, I doubt HL3 will have the same impact if it uses the current CSGO engine.

Is there any reason for those lines to be in the SFM?
Good question. Here's the entire file's source code. Refer to the line numbers in the OP to find the specific lines:

http://pastebin.com/LetrNDFC

The title of the file is "VALVE FILESYSTEM INTEGRATION". I'm not familiar at all with its functionality.

Every other example in the comments reads like ".../some_prop.mdl" etc, except for this instance. It's very specific, isn't it.

If these references actually mean something in the Valve HQ, a new Source Engine and Half-Life, then this big silence from Valve would most certainly be broken.

It all makes sense now, what with the limitations of the original Source engine compared to today's competition, to wait for the next iteration for their flagship game to run on. The silence for the past five years was pretty weird, but this feels like the first real inkling of hard information we've had since the Orange Box was released. Definitely getting excited.

That whole thing about Ricochet 2 thing was a joke. Gabe was being sarcastic.

Back