New Screenshots from the Lost Coast

{Neoblade} 111 said:
It's a bit naieve to call it ugly. Check the other screenshots as part of that series of them. It's demonstrating different exposure levels. If you were in that environment, that is what you'd be seeing as you walked through a dark walk way into the bright daylight.

You probably won't get the full appreciation of it though I guess. If it was a video then the effect would be dynamic and you'd see it dynamically change as you move closer to the light. It will look amazing, trust me :)

Is it just me or does it seem that Valve is using these screenshots and videos as a delay tactic because they are going to delay the release of the map?

Chris_D said:
But what are you trying to say? Surely seeing them in that resolution is 100 times better than seeing them on a printed page in a magazine? :|
sry i misunderstood you back there, yes im an idiot. ;(

Chris_D said:
I love you too!! :O

:naughty:

The first shot is in a Russian church (I can recognize the interior architecture and the drawings)

Now maybe all the naysayers will finally shut the hell up about Half-Life 2 being a second rate graphics engine, because Valve just kicked the shit out of Doom 3!

Mountain Man said:
Now maybe all the naysayers will finally shut the hell up about Half-Life 2 being a second rate graphics engine, because Valve just kicked the shit out of Doom 3!
Nope, I'm still going. Like how doom 3 has shadows that actually resemble the shape of the object. And how the doom 3 flashlight casts a shadow. And how HL2 characters don't self-shadow. I don't think the judgement is as simple as you make it out to be.

Mountain Man said:
For me personally, that HDR screenshot makes it look worse. Way to much bloom going on there.

Now, lets get one thing straight, the doom 3 engine is much more advance then source, this is not debateable, simply take a gander at the specifications of each engine and then decide.

Mountain Man said:
haha guess not :)

/me drools :cheese:

when are these lost coast levels available again?
everything related to the HL series always looks so cool :cool:

didn't a mod already do this?

looks nice, now if they can get their lighting fully dynamic, that will roxxxxxxxxxx

farcry released their hdr screenshots like 9 months ago or sumtin :p

the bump mapping on that lantern looking thing makes it look awsome. will take the uber ass pc to run this i bet, esp with the view distances in that third screen. It must be taken for show and not for frames per second.

now that would be a cool think, puch all the engines to their extreems in a map jsut for a screenshot, not fps. w00t wonder what they could do? 50 000 poly player model :D

Indeed:bounce: I can't wait till Valve announces the requirements...I just hope they aren't TOO rediculous!! :rolling:

They were announced in the PC Gamer UK in which these shots were first printed. If I recall correctly, the minimums are:

3.2 ghz processor (or, presumably, the AMD equivalent)
1gb RAM
"Top of the range" graphics card.

Oh, and the Bloom mod isn't close to what we're seeing here. It's just some silly little blooms around light sources -- not true HDR, and not realistic in the least. And it makes all the outdoor scenes look washed out. It's fun, and I appreciate the work gone into it, but HDR far surpasses the mod.

Yeah these lighting effects along with the long range are pretty impressive, i liked how someone compared it to HDR, for it does seem quite similar if u neglect the view distance. Though this is all new tech , so , i doubt it will cheap demanding wise for ur comp. Though i also hope it will be reasonable and not set a major gap in the HL2 community setting aside people from those who have the means to run this stuff on high....

Chris_D said:
Just a bit of speculation to throw your way guys.

Ever seen the map list for HL2? d2_coast_01 is followed by d2_coast_03. This means we did indeed lose a coast in Half-Life 2. Perhaps where the name came from? You've probably been speculating that for weeks, but I've been busy at work ;(

not only is d2_coast_02 missing but also d2_coast_06 as well! hmmm...the plot thickens...lets all look for the missing maps!

EDIT:well as far as I can tell the only other missing map is d1_canals_04..

Can someone explain my questions about Lost Coast? Its part of Half-life saga? Its some new mission? Its part of HL story (like Aftermath)? Who is main character?

Can't wait till it comes out, it would be a special treat if my graphics card can handle it(Got enough ram and cpu power).

I'm hoping that the CPU that they were using to showcase that wasn't using water....or liquid nitrogen cooling, other wise I will be falling out with mine if it explodes, or melts

Polaris said:
Can someone explain my questions about Lost Coast? Its part of Half-life saga? Its some new mission? Its part of HL story (like Aftermath)? Who is main character?

Not entirely sure yet. We've heard its a new HL based mission, but that could be from any characters POV. But from my side of the argument, expect it to be a Deleted Extra (Like those you find on DVD films). Apperently the fisherman NPC says something about a creature escaping, which sounds so like the icthysaur (My guess from looking at the PCGAMER UK caption in the article.

Mchart said:
Now, lets get one thing straight, the doom 3 engine is much more advance then source, this is not debateable...
Heh...guess the naysayers aren't going to shut the hell up after all. :rolleyes:

Mountain Man said:
Heh...guess the naysayers aren't going to shut the hell up after all. :rolleyes:

there's always room for naysayers... right next to the fanboys.

besides, the bloom looks way blocky, wouldn't want to play any game with lighting looking like a badly compressed movie....

It's because of the type of HDR Valve is using.

Or maybe just compression artifacts.

and what would it take for mods to start lookin like that? its not just hdr i notice, the textures look insanely more detailed than normal as well.

Shens said:
It's because of the type of HDR Valve is using.

Or maybe just compression artifacts.

i thought it would be compression artifacts too, but the rest of the picture doesn't have any artifacting at all (this is looking at the vase screenshot), also smooth gradients like bloom are a lot easier to compress than tiny details like the rest of the picture.

you're right, it's probably the type of bloom/hdr that valve is using. i hope they sort it out though, cause right now it's a bit off-putting.

Mchart said:
For me personally, that HDR screenshot makes it look worse. Way to much bloom going on there.

Now, lets get one thing straight, the doom 3 engine is much more advance then source, this is not debateable, simply take a gander at the specifications of each engine and then decide.
yeah the first two seem to be over exposed... second one especially but i think that is the point of the second one.
Nicely reflecting metallic objects are a plus though...

and about being more advanced. who cares?
more advance usually means that it will hog more computer resources.
and frankly, to me, all that advanced stuff achieves is to blurr away all the detail and texture out of a texture.

WaryWolf said:
besides, the bloom looks way blocky, wouldn't want to play any game with lighting looking like a badly compressed movie....
Hmm... low resolution bloom. have you seen the performance hit by blook: ugh. a per pixel rendering of bloom would completely halt the system.
a little blending can get rid of blockyness. it looks like there is no filtering on it at all in those screnshots. perhaps filtering also causes the game to slow to a crawl.

These screens doesnt look that they're really ingame shots. Looks too good for that :>

You guys are all artists and programmers, making your opinions 100% valid.

It's totaly ingame. Turn on HDR in far cry and not only the lighting looks better, but so do the textures. It looks blocky probably because...shit, no clue.

I thought it was not possible to get the SOURCE engine to proform better then we see in hl2, guess I was wrong.

Mygod this clip did completly blow me clean away.

So then comes the question up, why in the heck can run this! and plese count out all the alpha servers!!. I'm talking about someone with a normal computer buget.

They say P4 3.ghz and the top top graphics card.

So guess my nvidia GeForce 4 MX is not included..... :D

Back