New TV, or second monitor used as TV?

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
I have a dilemma I'm facing right now. My older than the Ancient Egyptians Magnavox television has died, and I am needing to buy a new one, because I watch TV while I use the computer all the time.

I've been doing a little bit of research on televisions, and I have to say I am not all that happy about the prices for the sizes available. I don't want something huge, because I can't afford it and I don't have the room for it.

I was wondering, what is the feasibility of buying a second monitor, and using that as both a second monitor for my computer, and as a television with a switch or something? That can be done, right? How smart do you think it is?

Then there is also the route of buying a television and using that as a second monitor as well, but I know even less about that. They're essentially the same technology aren't they? Just with typically different inputs?

As far as I know, monitors with a TV-Tuner (coaxial input) are typically considered to be.. televisions. I haven't really seen it marketed the other way around. The new LCD/LED's these days will almost always have a DVI/VGA input as well as several HDMI ports. You can access each input just by using the input button on the remote.

I haven't been shopping for TV's since January, but I picked up a 50" Vizio LCD 1080p at 120hz for something like $650. I found that to be an incredible price for that size. If you are worried about prices, just wait for the abundant television sales that come about during the year.

If you are worried about prices, just wait for the abundant television sales that come about during the year.

If you can wait it out, I'd see what deals there are on Black Friday. Granted you'll have to go MMA on some people to get the TV that has the deal, or you could wait till Cyber Monday. That or shop Craigslist.

Get a second monitor and a TV tuner for your computer. Then dual screen.

Get a second monitor and a TV tuner for your computer. Then dual screen.

That's what I decided upon. I'll get the second monitor at a later date when I save up a bit more... but right now I got a tuner card. When I get the second monitor and get the dual monitor layout set up, I'll simply drag windows media center over to that one when I want to watch television.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036

I'd say just get a TV with an HDMI port. Thats what I did, and I'm doing the same thing as you basically. I found TV Tuners to be obnoxious. I've tried the most popular three models, and all of them are buggy as shit, slow as ****, and the quality can blow ass. So I bought my friends 37" 1080p TV, which can hook up to my video card via HDMI, as well as function as a normal TV. Its badass. Just find one with the size you want, this one for example looks pretty good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889107068

I've always liked the tv + pc combo. Breaks up the pace a little if you know what I mean. I prefer that feel to watching stuff on the monitor all the time.

I do both.
I have this tv as well as two monitors. I like the TV for movies and.. well TV and mostly use my second monitor if I'm just watching a ep of a show while browsing the internet.

I don't think it really matters which way people go, a TV is just a monitor with a tv tuner in it so they're basically the same thing.

Let me know how you like that tuner Raz, I've been thinking about getting one myself.

I've got my 17" laptop on the left, 22" monitor directly on the right (both screens touch and have been configured in Windows to allow the mouse to travel between the two with skipping up a few inches), and my 50" on a TV stand 90 degrees to right and back a few feet. I'm right handed, so I find this setup to work the best for me.

I hate how my laptop doesn't have HDMI (it was made in 2008). So in order to use the monitor or the TV, I have to switch the VGA connections. It's a pain. But, generally I use the TV for HD movies/TV. The monitor is really just extra workspace for when I'm studying, doing email, or work stuff. I find it's difficult to do anything without that extra real estate.

Let me know how you like that tuner Raz, I've been thinking about getting one myself.

Will do. I'm curious myself. I read the reviews and people were talking about speed and performance, so I really don't hope I experience the negativity that Krynn did.

Well I just got the thing... and now I'm trying to set it up. Frustrating so far. Dish network uses channel 73 and I'm having trouble getting it to detect that channel.

I have it working in the WinTV software that came with the tuner, but can't get it working in windows media center yet.

Good luck. WinTV is the same software I used, and I hated it. Is it really slow for you? I remember a very distinct lag between every action I did with it.

Okay I got it working in Windows Media Center now. The quality isn't the greatest, but I'm pretty sure it's coming in as SD on analog instead of digital HD. I don't really know how I could get the quality improved or what the maximum quality could be on this. It looks a bit worse on my monitor than my TV, but that's because my monitor allows a lot more crisp of an image and shows all the imperfections.

Yeah Krynn, there is a lag between every action... using my remote control to control the channel in the other room. It's not that big of a deal, but it's still there. This happens on both WinTV and Windows Media Center.

Is it really that much of an issue though? It's just changing channels. There's no audio or video delay that makes things unwatchable.

Not by itself it wasnt, but it was one of many aggravations that just caused me to just stop bothering with it. I just ended up selling one of my monitors and got a hdtv with HDMI input and it was a lot simpler and smoother to use. It looked better too. I didn't have HD cable at the time though.

Not by itself it wasnt, but it was one of many aggravations that just caused me to just stop bothering with it. I just ended up selling one of my monitors and got a hdtv with HDMI input and it was a lot simpler and smoother to use. It looked better too. I didn't have HD cable at the time though.

I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm sure there's something that can be done. I think there's a deliberate buffer in place and I want to try and reduce it.

I'm really liking it though... when I get a second monitor it'll be ideal... pop that bad boy over there while I'm doing other shit. I just don't know how dual monitor systems work, if I can play a game on one monitor and have the second monitor still be on the desktop

WinTV has this "game mode" feature that removes the delay... and it allows the remote to be as responsive as it is normally... the only problem I'm experiencing with that right now is the audio problems with it.

My older than the Ancient Egyptians Magnavox television has died

master race

DSVId.jpg

Back