News Corp. going into video game business

And not only that, but they'll use their business model on it; buy out all the good brands and convert them to crapola; then sell the crapola really expensive because theres no competition

Bloody Murdoch. I can honestly say I didn't feel sorry for the bastard when he got cancer.

Darkknighttt said:
whats news corp?!

Do you have a "God"?
well, chances are that he's a sub-division of News Corp.
Likewise with "Satan" except he's the CEO. :p

If I could make a face bigger than this,

=|

I would.

Maybe it might be good.
Here comes another EA.
If EA all of the sudden sees competition. Sees someone who is just as powerfull as they are, wouldn't that cause EA to make better games and then cause co-evolution between to the 2 companies thus each other making better and better games.

I don't see what's bad about another company coming into a market that has a dominating monopoly? All it can do is cause tension between each other, which means better products and lower prices.

RakuraiTenjin said:
I don't see what's bad about another company coming into a market that has a dominating monopoly? All it can do is cause tension between each other, which means better products and lower prices.

No, news corp IS the monopoly, theres so much cash in that company, they could literally buy any other developer or publisher out there instantly.

News Corp doesn't even have a foot in the industry yet. EA is the monopoly. If News Corp came in, it'd at least ruffle some feathers.

I'm not so sure News Corp would do to it's products what EA has done to its own, either.

Kangy said:
Bloody Murdoch. I can honestly say I didn't feel sorry for the bastard when he got cancer.
Because as we all know, if you're a successful person you deserve to die.

RakuraiTenjin said:
News Corp doesn't even have a foot in the industry yet. EA is the monopoly. If News Corp came in, it'd at least ruffle some feathers.

I'm not so sure News Corp would do to it's products what EA has done to its own, either.

Because as we all know, if you're a successful person you deserve to die.

First acquisition of NC will probably be a company like EA

I personally dont like seeing the gaming industry getting so much public attention. It seems like the last 5 years that the industry has been about money, Quarter profits, stocks, graphics, engines, physics, more money and market share. Very few companies are focusing on moving the industry forward. Nintendo seems like its doing fine to me because they are still being inovative with their handheld devices. Especially the DS. The major gaming companies with huge assets such as EA, Microsoft and Sony are buying out studios, and licenses faster then they can decide what to do with them. I appreciate the fact that Valve has stayed a private company. The fans support, they love making games, and the fact that they dont get any financial support from shareholders has help them put out quality games. Blizzard is another great example of a private company that has sucsedded in an industry that is getting more an more competitive every day. Sadly this competition isnt bringing innovation in some of the areas and companies it should be. I would like the see EA break up into many smaller studios, but it wont happen. I dont know if this news is good news or bad news but I suppose we will find out soon.
(for the record I dont think EA is a "lost" company. They have released some good games, but far from perfect. If EA refocused themselves they could be a shining example. They just never spend the extra time to polish their games to perfection)

There is so much hate in the game industry and it makes me want to cry. ;(

I'm not defending news corps in any way. Have no feelings whatsoever, except I think you guys are overreacting about the number of holdings they have. There are several dozens of MEGA companies in the world that hold as many, if not more holdings, ranging in everything from electronics, to food, to entertainment, and everything inbetween. Go into an american grocery store, and chances are its 2 or 3 companies that own the labels of all the products in the entire store. lol

In fact, I made a topic about this VERY thing a month or two ago.

Kyo said:
You can buyout anyone company that has public shares.

no because CEO's are still primary stockholders, companies like microsoft are still mostly owned by CEO's such as billgates simply because they still own most of the shares, unless the CEO or owner(s) are willing to give up those shares you are still a partial owner.

It is the stockholders that decided whether or not they want to sell the company or not. If a company is trading at $65 the stockholders might not want to sell unless the buyer is offering $70 a share. Now if the company has 1 million shares $70 a share is going to be a lot of money. If a shareholder has 1000 shares he is going to 70000. The $70 000 000 are split up among the shareholdes based on how many shares you have. Atleast this is how I understand it works. So if they want to buy out EA it is entirely possible if atleast 51% of the shareholders want to sell their stock.

Back