No Ego Is Bigger Than Microsoft's

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
So, apparently, Halo is the biggest game in the world...

Ahem...

Who do we have to kill to make MS shut up about Halo? Now I hate CoD due to their MW2 turn, but I seriously, seriously wish Black Ops outsells Halo Reach, just to flick a finger at MS and the Halo fans.

Microsoft has confidently proclaimed "no game is bigger than Halo" just hours before Bungie's last entry in the science fiction shooter series, Halo: Reach, goes on sale around the world.

The console manufacturer reckons the launch of Reach will be 2010's "biggest entertainment event", and likens it to the release of film Star Wars: Episode 1.

"When it comes to the size and scope of a franchise and especially the dedication of the fans, no game is bigger than Halo," said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios.

"With Halo: Reach we're delivering on our promise to redefine blockbuster entertainment experiences and ultimately help make this year the biggest ever in Xbox history."

Halo: Reach will go on sale at tens of thousands of retailers around the world at a minute past midnight tonight.

In the UK HMV will open 70 stores to accommodate what it expects to be intense interest.

GAME's Westfield Shopping Centre store will hold an event beginning at 9.30pm.

Buried within a gushing press release are some interesting Halo-related statistics.

More than 2.7 million players played the Halo: Reach beta, which ran earlier this year, making it the largest console videogame beta test on record and more than triple the size of the Halo 3 beta. (Okay I'll give them that one)

To date, more than 34 million copies of Halo games have been sold worldwide, driving more than 3.3 billion hours of gameplay by people connected to Xbox LIVE.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-13-ms-no-game-is-bigger-than-halo

So he's clearly forgotten about the CoD series, the MGS series, the GTA series, the FIFA series, the Madden series, the Half Life series...basically every game that is better than anything Bungie can produce?

Someone needs to show this man some statistics. Such as a game's series length in comparison to the 3 other Halo games, and ODST doesnt count. Or the total sales of individual games out-selling the combined total of Halo and Halo 2 sales.

I know it's all just PR and getting the game to sell big, but get ***ked if you actually expect us to believe Halo is the biggest game around.

I want to scream when this stuff gets said by any developer.

So next time I walk into GAME, I will laugh all the way to the cashier at anyone buying Reach or Black Ops as I hand over the box for Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

Comparing your much-hyped to release to Star Wars Episode 1. MARKETING GENIUS

Comparing your much-hyped to release to Star Wars Episode 1. MARKETING GENIUS

OMGLOL :LOL:

yea Mw2 was bigger and black ops will also be bigger. Then again this is the game where every single trailer keeps saying 'the most anticipated game of 2010' and i think thats debatable. Sales wise? black ops beats it. General importance? I'd say Starcraft 2 wins that one. They do keep treating this like its bigger than halo 3 and even their marketing budget is apparently bigger but the thing is the hype for this tho really big doesnt imo match the fever pitch high of halo 3's launch.

And i'm saying that after the fact that some of the recent reach stuff has actually really impressed me enough to get it after feeling kinda burned on odst :|

halo probably is the biggest game around in terms of PR and marketing. obviously MS say that as, you know, it's kind of their flagship product, but just think about it. no one is saying COD, GTA and the others aren't big. halo is just bigger. that in no way makes them to say it's ''better'' or more well made or doing all the right things for everyone, it's just real big. live with it.

edit: looking back at my post, i got a little hotheaded. still, yeah.

Well the Halo: Reach event earlier today out by waiting lines in some big city was pretty cool, saw it on YouTube, a group of people dressed in SPARTAN-III armor, one of which had a real functioning jetpack who literally flew at the very least 10-15 meters into the air, very cool bit of fanservice to the people waiting for the game, regardless of one thinks of the franchise itself in my opinion.

halo probably is the biggest game around in terms of PR and marketing. obviously MS say that as, you know, it's kind of their flagship product, but just think about it. no one is saying COD, GTA and the others aren't big. halo is just bigger. that in no way makes them to say it's ''better'' or more well made or doing all the right things for everyone, it's just real big. live with it.

Isnt CoD bigger than halo now tho?

i don't know, is it? last i looked, halo 3 was still in the LIVE charts for multiplayer even beyond COD4 and MW2, i think.

don't get me wrong, i know how big those games are but it's halo, the games been on the front of magazine covers and tv's long before COD4 even come out and even now it's still just as big. that's got to count for something and that's what MS are saying here - it's been big for a long, long time now.

i don't know, is it? last i looked, halo 3 was still in the LIVE charts for multiplayer even beyond COD4 and MW2, i think.

don't get me wrong, i know how big those games are but it's halo, the games been on the front of magazine covers and tv's long before COD4 even come out and even now it's still just as big. that's got to count for something and that's what MS are saying here - it's been big for a long, long time now.

Kinda agree with this. Might be arrogant for them to openly claim this, but it is one of the biggest game series out there (at least for the generation that grew up playing Xbox and nothing before that).

EDIT: I also found it amusing that a thread about the exact same thing but with Activision and Black Ops was also created by Dynasty.

dont pay attention to that, is just a new marketing tactic,taking advantage of your fame to say how susscefull your product is and the media will just copy-paste that

just like how steve jobs do it,whit things like "ipod touch is the best selling portable game console" and things like that

MW2 is still top tho and sold better :p

but yea i get your point

I'm not too sure about that. I think even Microsoft's Ego would find itself humble to Cliffy B's Universe Sized Ego. But yeah, Microsoft is pretty arrogant with it's Halo series but it knows that Halo is it's biggest franchise so they are definitely not afraid to exploit it as much as possible to get more people to buy XBox 360s. But don't worry PC Gamers, they're nice enough to throw you a few crumbs every now and then.

:LOL::|:flame:

But don't worry PC Gamers, they're nice enough to throw you a few crumbs every now and then.

:LOL::|:flame:

Yeah, just the fact that they dismantled Ensemble studios, the guys that made them the Age of Empire series, says a lot about where their priorities lie.

Maybe they dismantled Ensemble because they were tired of making it difficult for other companies to compete on the PC platform?

Oh wait.

i hope microsoft and activision run into some cold war type conflict and kill each other.

Whats liking Apple got to do with...oh wait, I see what you did there.

Statistics for xbox live ''most played game'' shouldn't matter here. After all, 360 has no games, so ''The 360's only game is THE most played game online this year!''

Yaaaay.

So next time I walk into GAME, I will laugh all the way to the cashier at anyone buying Reach or Black Ops as I hand over the box for Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

As much as I love assassin's creed ubi themselves have been acting quite arrogant lately aswell so they're hardly innocent: wanting to annualise assassin's creed has been brought up and have said they have no desire to produce new ips until the next gen

Ugh, I don't like Halo either. Played the first and just could not wrap my head around what all the hype was about. Of course, I was obsessed with MoH on the PC way back then and it easily blew Halo out of the water in every aspect. I don't doubt this will sell like ****ing crazy though. REAALLY stupid to compare it to Episode I. That is seriously LOLworthy.

Wow, I'm agreeing that halo may in fact be a bland game and the new CoD a standalone DLC but I'm not agreeing with the OP about AC Brotherhood being better than either.

Whats liking Apple got to do with...oh wait, I see what you did there.

Statistics for xbox live ''most played game'' shouldn't matter here. After all, 360 has no games, so ''The 360's only game is THE most played game online this year!''

Yaaaay.

you're arguments are just... the worst. of course the statistics matter for whether it's the biggest game. if millions of folk are playing it, it's big. whether or not it's ''good'' or anything in your books is irrelevent, we're talking big here.

Here's why Halo is successful. Easy to understand, huge marketing program (microsoft) and the majority of its fanboys seem to be ignorant that other types of games exist beyond Halo, Legend of Zelda, and Mario.

Why get so butthurt over a game anyway? At least they're not polluting our forums and making stupid ideas. "HAY, GORDUN SHOULD HAV SHEELD, AND GMAN IS HIS BROTHERS SISTERS UNCLES COUSINS FATHER." Rite?

After all, 360 has no games, so ''The 360's only game is THE most played game online this year!"

I have over 70 titles on my 360 and I can assure they are not all one and the same game.:)

And before you call me a fanboy, keep in mind I own a PS3 as well, and a PC.

Not a Wii though, **** motion control.

Here's why Halo is successful. Easy to understand, huge marketing program (microsoft) and the majority of its fanboys seem to be ignorant that other types of games exist beyond Halo, Legend of Zelda, and Mario.

Why get so butthurt over a game anyway? At least they're not polluting our forums and making stupid ideas. "HAY, GORDUN SHOULD HAV SHEELD, AND GMAN IS HIS BROTHERS SISTERS UNCLES COUSINS FATHER." Rite?

calling out one particular fanbase in a sweeping, generalizing statement like this is ignorant, you ignorant little twerp.

the halo games aren't even my favourite. why do you think i, and other fans on this forum, are on this forum to begin with? of course people know of games outside of those you dolt.

Argh who ****ING CAAAAAAARES.

dont pay attention to that, is just a new marketing tactic,taking advantage of your fame to say how susscefull your product is and the media will just copy-paste that

just like how steve jobs do it,whit things like "ipod touch is the best selling portable game console" and things like that
Yep, the gaming media are all too happy to do marketing legwork for publishers. Some developer makes a twitter post saying their latest game is going to be the "best yet," that shit is gonna get reported on every major gaming blog. Cause I mean, if the person in charge of the game says it's good, THEY MUST BE RIGHT, RIGHT?

I for one only care because Halo fans insist on rubbing it in your face every time a game threatens their ''crown''.

Maybe its just human nature. When you have something you think is better than everything else, you want people to know about it.

I always find that an awkward moment in conversation, when you say you just got something and someone nearby says theyve got a better version of what you've got, there always seems to be a slight pause where you wonder if you should offer them a cookie as grats.

I for one only care because Halo fans insist on rubbing it in your face every time a game threatens their ''crown''.
Where?

No, I'm ****ing serious, where are these people "rubbing it in your face?" Is this some shitty forum you visit, or do they come to your work and brag about how many no scopes they got in their latest match? Are they tea bagging you in your sleep? Please do tell.

calling out one particular fanbase in a sweeping, generalizing statement like this is ignorant, you ignorant little twerp.

the halo games aren't even my favourite. why do you think i, and other fans on this forum, are on this forum to begin with? of course people know of games outside of those you dolt.

What makes you think I was talking about you? It is apparent to me that most halo fanboys are ignorant about gaming when I went to high school and everyone puffed master-chief's dick without knowing who Gordon Freeman was, or that a game called half-life even existed, or Duke Nukem, or DooM. Don't call me ignorant when you're going to throw around a word like twerp when you know nothing about me. Who are you anyway? I didn't want any shit from you, and I didn't start any with you. I didn't quote you, or address you personally, so get off my dick.

What makes you think I was talking about you? It is apparent to me that most halo fanboys are ignorant about gaming when I went to high school and everyone puffed master-chief's dick without knowing who Gordon Freeman was, or that a game called half-life even existed, or Duke Nukem, or DooM. Don't call me ignorant when you're going to throw around a word like twerp when you know nothing about me. Who are you anyway? I didn't want any shit from you, and I didn't start any with you. I didn't quote you, or address you personally, so get off my dick.

I don't know, it was kind of warranted. If you're going to go ahead and make sweeping generalisations, don't be surprised when people call you out on it.

In any case, the whole 'i r true gamer' thing is played out, surely - as Bad^Hat says, who gives a shit. I'm looking forward to eventually playing Reach.

I don't know, it was kind of warranted. If you're going to go ahead and make sweeping generalisations, don't be surprised when people call you out on it.

In any case, the whole 'i r true gamer' thing is played out, surely - as Bad^Hat says, who gives a shit. I'm looking forward to eventually playing Reach.

I don't really care. At all. I was just saying, if he cares enough to argue about it that's his problem, but don't call me names because you don't like what I said. That's what I mean.

you address me by calling out halo fans, and i am one of them. and i have heard of all those people and games, and so have probably millions more. you say i don't know you, when you don't know them.

^Agreed. I'm a huge Zelda fan. Mario only in old school form. People just hating popular things because the loudmouth fans of said popular things pissed in their cereal.

Have no opinion on halo since I've never played it.

Hurry up and release all of them in a boxset for the PC so I can judge!

Back