No Mom, just one more turn... (Civ V)

Exactly. Civilization is a game that has essentially been perfected for at least 15 years. New versions are like new versions of table-top or board games. They're just different rule-sets. Civ 5 looks about as unlike its predecessors as they could manage working within that framework, but the only possible way you can criticise a new Civilization game is for being too similar to its predecessors, or for doing too little to improve the visuals or AI which are fast becoming the only things you can really iterate on with the series.

The biggest complaints I had about Civ 4 were mostly cosmetic things, like how you had to struggle with the interface to control stacks of units - something that's no longer a problem. Really doesn't seem like they could go wrong here, and if they do **** something up, they've been pretty good about patching things in the past.

Any word if this is DRM-free like (I think) the past games were? Besides Steam, I mean.

I went ahead and ordered it.

I've actually been anticipating it for a while.

I never ****in remember what this thread is about, goddamn title. Goddamn pilot.

A mod can rename it to Civ V General if they want.

The biggest complaints I had about Civ 4 were mostly cosmetic things, like how you had to struggle with the interface to control stacks of units - something that's no longer a problem. Really doesn't seem like they could go wrong here, and if they do **** something up, they've been pretty good about patching things in the past.

Any word if this is DRM-free like (I think) the past games were? Besides Steam, I mean.

It uses steamworks, so steam IS the drm, so yes.

Sometimes I think Tuesday will never arrive.

Goddammit, after watching the review I think I'm gonna have to buy this.

So what's multiplayer gonna be like?

I read that they might have to have it removed initially and add it in later.

Dunno if this was mentioned yet, but as of now you can start pre-loading.

EDIT It is already preloadable since last Monday. lttp, soz.

Right now its online and LAN multiplayer for up to 16 players, with hotseat being added post launch (I think).

Just watched the two 45 minute streams and wars actually look like wars now. I didn't know there was a 2D view either. Pretty cool.

Right now its online and LAN multiplayer for up to 16 players, with hotseat being added post launch (I think).
In the preview video, he says 8 players are "officially" supported, but you can go up to 16 if you don't care about performance. Kind of makes it sound like they didn't (or couldn't) optimize it to support that much.

Okay, I bought it. Yayyyyyy. Preloading now.

Oh, thats awesome! I wish more games had that feature.

Oh, thats awesome! I wish more games had that feature.

Welcome to 1980, where all game has that feature.

arcade.jpg

By the way that picture was my brother Peter's arcade. Yes, was. :sad:

Unlock times:

North America:
September 21 @ 10am EDT (New York, Toronto, Fake Virginia, Miami)
September 21 @ 9am CDT (Chicago)
September 21 @ 8am MDT (Denver)
September 21 @ 7am PDT (California, Washington)
September 21 @ 11am ADT (Nova Scotia) [fixed: Thanks Canucker]

Worldwide: September 24 @ 00:00 UTC
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil : September 23 @ 21:00
Buenos Aires, Argentina : September 23 @ 21:00
Reykjavik, Iceland : 00:00
London, UK : 00:00
Berlin, Germany : 02:00
Johannesburg, South Africa : 02:00
Jerusalem, Israel : 02:00
Warsaw, Poland : 02:00
Rome, Italy : 02:00
Helsinki, Finland : 03:00
Moscow, Russian Federation : 03:00
Cairo, Egypt : 03:00
Tehran, Iran : 03:30
Mumbai, India : 05:30
Beijing, China : 08:00
Perth, Australia : 08:00
Tokyo, Japan : 09:00
Sydney, Australia : 10:00

I'm a moron and bought it at ebgames. Wasn't thinking about steam, and they couldn't cancel the order.

I ****ing hate ebgames. SORRY YOU JUST ORDERED THE PRODUCT YOU CAN'T CANCEL IT IT BECAUSE WE HAVE IT ALREADY BOXED AND READY TO GO.

Can't ever cancel an order that way, just how they like it.

I hate different release dates. They are so redundant nowadays with digital distribution. I feel like a second rate customer.

Bah, Civ4 was addicting but pink mushroom clouds fffuuu-.
Do you know what color mushroom clouds are? I didn't know you had seen so many...

I'm a moron and bought it at ebgames. Wasn't thinking about steam, and they couldn't cancel the order.

I ****ing hate ebgames. SORRY YOU JUST ORDERED THE PRODUCT YOU CAN'T CANCEL IT IT BECAUSE WE HAVE IT ALREADY BOXED AND READY TO GO.

Can't ever cancel an order that way, just how they like it.

Why are you canceling?

I hate different release dates. They are so redundant nowadays with digital distribution. I feel like a second rate customer.

You're just jealous I get to play it first. It's weird that it releases the exact same time in the US, but it's really lame that it's not at midnight. Should have taken tomorrow off, by my boss would prolly get mad since I randomly take sick days and I'm never sick and we're supposed to schedule vacation days early. Oh well I guess I'll just sit around all day tomorrow waiting to get home...

But, it uses Steamworks so it'll be activating through Steam anyways.

In the UK at least, the Steam version costs about £5 more than a boxed copy. Not good.

I kinda wish I got the boxed copy instead. No point in getting it on steam really, since it uses steam anyways. Now I just don't get physical copies of the behind the scenes dvd or soundtrack cds.

EDIT: Also, is EDT the same as EST?

Hmm, is there any place that lists the city states available in the game?

Of course, everyone has nations that they wish were in the game. Would be nice to see if cities from such nations were included.

Ah, I'm glad to see Singapore is in there.

Supposedly "Huge" games can have up to 24 city states.

I kinda wish I got the boxed copy instead. No point in getting it on steam really, since it uses steam anyways. Now I just don't get physical copies of the behind the scenes dvd or soundtrack cds.

EDIT: Also, is EDT the same as EST?

Elementary Dancing Team.

No it's Eastern Daylight Time. I really am curious about why they'd make it available when pretty much everyone is at work. I get to spend the day hating being at work while that's going on.

Back