No Mom, just one more turn... (Civ V)

Damn, that interface is slick. The art deco thing isn't very pronounced either, thankfully (real original design there :p).

They didn't mention the combined words "more accessible" anywhere, did they?

EDIT: Nope! I didn't hear those dreaded words anywhere!

I'm interested in the modding capabilities of this as well, I've never really gotten into modding any of the earlier games.

Important Civ V news.

ni1o.jpg

748112804385163070.jpg

There's the boxart.
Looks slick and all but they make the game out to be about nothing but war, which goes against what Civilization is about really.

I've played so much Civ 4 recently that I will prolly end up buying this and loving it.

It seems building a spaceship to land on the moon will still be one of the victory methods for Civilization V. I wonder if they're going to incorporate any new or inventive ways to win the game. No matter, that box art makes me yearn for this game to be released.

748112804385163070.jpg

There's the boxart.
Looks slick and all but they make the game out to be about nothing but war, which goes against what Civilization is about really.

Though to be fair, diplomacy has never been that great a tool in Civ, or most other 4X games for that matter.

There are very VERY few 4X games out there where you can actually manipulate other factions/nations to the point that you can become the victor without engaging in any direct conflict.

I hope they incorporate Alpha Centauri into the game.

Dear God, can you imagine the game extending its scope to the stars and continuing your civilization on another planet?

Dear God, can you imagine the game extending its scope to the stars and continuing your civilization on another planet?

I was just thinking about that. It would be kind of neat to expand your empire further and start a civilization on a planet like Mars. It's been done in movies before, why not in Civilization V?

Personally I'd much rather have it so that when you reached space age the solar system became open to you, so civs could colonize planets, even planets others already were on, and fight over multiple planets and shit.

Would become very time-consuming to play though.

Hell I just wish they'd make another Alpha Centauri game... but EA will never give up the license.

Didn't the Civilization II 'Test of Time' spin-off game do this?

It's bound to be a horrible idea in practice though.

Personally I'd much rather have it so that when you reached space age the solar system became open to you, so civs could colonize planets, even planets others already were on, and fight over multiple planets and shit.

Would become very time-consuming to play though.

Well, they could always have a sort of AI governor system in place, that would play worlds for you... and you could micro and macro manage your expanding civilization, giving your focus where it is needed, while the fluid operation and planetary expansion is left delegated.

Big decisions like war and colonizing a new world or new world exploration would be left to you, instead of the AI.

Indeed, many modern space 4X games features AI delegation systems, like Space Empires series or the more recent Distant Worlds.

from reddit:

jJxX9.jpg

Also, the Test of Time thing where you could go to Alpha Centauri was pretty cool IMO. I would kill someone for a modern remake of Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire though.

Indeed, many modern space 4X games features AI delegation systems, like Space Empires series or the more recent Distant Worlds.

Beyond the Sword already has an independence system, which lets you create a vassal nation composed of colonies on another continent.

So useful if those maintenance fees are ****ing you up the ass.

Sadly Distant Worlds doesn't have that, but it does let new independent factions/'nations' form from 'rebellious' colonies/planets etc, which is kinda cool IMO.

Oh god yes. I loved playing Alpha Centauri so much.

Well then start firebombing EA to get them to free the IP to Sid's world again and they'll prolly make it. That's the only way EA will ever let go of it. I wish it would happen, but I think they're going to crush it under their big iron fist.

Recently I had to force myself to stop playing Civ 4. If I started playing I'd pretty much stay up the 6 hours until I completed a campaign... I still suck at it too. I never get into the micormanaging of cities though. It's hard enough to maintain the macromanagement of your empire when it comes to the crazy people around you. "Hey let's trade a million things" ... "OH can I have a bunch of shit free?" "**** YOU HERE'S THE MASSIVE ARMY I BUILT!"

I always got ****ed over by everyone in Civ4.
We'd all be happily trading, making partially empty threats at eac hother about trading with someone they don't like, and then all of a sudden ARMIES EVERYWHERE.

Screamed at the computer many a time because of those instances.

edit:
Demo in September! :D:D:D

System reqs:

Minimum
Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended
Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.

Internet Connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details

Software license terms available in game manual and at www.take2games.com/eula. Non-transferable access to special features such as exclusive, unlockable, downloadable or online content, services or functions may require single-use serial code, additional fee and/or online account registration (13+). Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days notice, be terminated, modified or offered under different terms.

These are surprisingly steep.
Count me out. :(

Well that's the first time I've seen a quad core recommended. I thought I could hold out with my dual core for longer.

I so can't wait! Though the release date is a bit troubling, will have classes from 9am to 8pm...Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

Well that's the first time I've seen a quad core recommended. I thought I could hold out with my dual core for longer.
I suppose it makes sense. AI is obviously a major part of the Civilization program.

I never played Civ IV, how did it's AI compare to Galactic Civilization 2?

GalCiv 2 had an amazing AI that didn't need cheating of any form to kick the ass of even fairly good players!

Recommends a quad core, does that mean it actually uses it?

Even with a dual-core it did feel like their was more stress on the system once the game started calculating all the moves being performed by the rest of the 17 civilizations. Ah, good times good times. Deep into the night and to the early morning, battling it through with 17 NPCs, with damn Russians throwing a hissy fit every time I denied them open-borders or anything for that matter. Ugh, go to hell Catherine! *shakes fist* It all starts with open-borders, and then before no time you have Russians all over your cities, raping your women, setting fires to the cities and stealing your uranium! :( God damn uranium!!!

*cries to self*

Civ 4 still chugs a bit on my X2 6000 when you're near the end of the game and there's a ton of units everywhere and lots of AI to calculate.

You can preload the game now on Steam. The download is 4,551.4MB total.

Also 2 hours of gameplay, here and here.

I wish there was a preorder bonus thing... that's the only reason to ever preorder anything.

Can't wait.. don't know how I'm going to afford it though, all my money is going towards pilot shit.

Back