Novel of Alctraz Event

Originally posted by FriScho
nearly 5 years of secret developement and Valve was able to destroy the surprise and the excitement in less than 2 weeks. Congratulations for screwing up the whole HL2 launch! Great job, well done Valve!

This Is by far the best thing I have ever read in these forums. Sums it all up perfect. GJ.

Originally posted by tHEmaCHInE
Originally posted by FriScho
nearly 5 years of secret developement and Valve was able to destroy the surprise and the excitement in less than 2 weeks. Congratulations for screwing up the whole HL2 launch! Great job, well done Valve!

This Is by far the best thing I have ever read in these forums. Sums it all up perfect. GJ.

Easily explained. Sh!t happens. You telling me you have never ever been late for something? Especially if the reason for you being late is out of your hands? Deep breath people. Exhale. Deep breath, exhale.
Deep breath...now hold it till you realize it is just a game and has no bearing on your life what so ever. If you pass out, please make sure you are close to a glass table or open window.

This isnt really about being late. Its about Valve knowing that they werent going to make the 30th, But instead of putting out a press release and Telling us that they ran short of time and will release it as soon as they can. It was the way that they did it that pissed so many ppl off. They lied left and right to us and then when they had no choice said " oops we messed up doh! Why do you think so many ppl are pissed at valve? Gamers are used to games being pushed up, It's just the way Valve did it that got so many ppl angry.

Originally posted by Aknot
Easily explained. Sh!t happens. You telling me you have never ever been late for something? Especially if the reason for you being late is out of your hands? Deep breath people. Exhale. Deep breath, exhale.
Deep breath...now hold it till you realize it is just a game and has no bearing on your life what so ever. If you pass out, please make sure you are close to a glass table or open window.

That's cool:cool: if that shite attempt of a email release to a few web sites of the delay, was the first they knew of the delay :? doesn't explain why thay let us live in romour land for so long :?

The best thing to do for me when im in this state, is tell me a joke relating to the problem at hand :cheers:

Originally posted by tHEmaCHInE
This isnt really about being late. Its about Valve knowing that they werent going to make the 30th, But instead of putting out a press release and Telling us that they ran short of time and will release it as soon as they can. It was the way that they did it that pissed so many ppl off. They lied left and right to us and then when they had no choice said " oops we messed up doh! Why do you think so many ppl are pissed at valve? Gamers are used to games being pushed up, It's just the way Valve did it that got so many ppl angry.

OK so they dug themselves into a hole, thinking at the last minute they could get out of it. They couldnt. Do you swallow your pride and admit to your faults? Do you inform the public that "so and so" caused the delay and alienate a "partner"? Do you blame it on your cutting edge "software over the internet" program and put a stake in its heart before it gets off the ground?

Or do you just sit back and say well Sh!t happens I will suck it up and get pounded by the consumer. All will be forgiven in "X" amount of days when the game is released, and they realise the work and effort we put into it, and one day I might write a book about it.

This is a business. If we all had ponied up money for the game ahead of time (full price not a deposit you can get your money back or apply it to another purchase) I could see the discord.

Im more "curious" about the people screaming "my life is ruined" (not those exact words) because the game is not out. Being upset and disappointed is ok, but some of these people here are taking it a little to seriously.

I don't see what the big deal is... It's just a game and a good one at that we hope, but all of you people who live on these forums not because you have no life but because you love a game too much are just pathetic. Grow up guys.

If steam is the cause, they didn't realize the problem until steam 1.0 was released in the middle of september. so that doesn't give them much time.

They scramble like mad to find content servers, but fileshack won't do it, nvidia is probably threatening to pull theirs if valve doesn't stfu, etc etc, they can't get enough servers. So they announce the delay. Understandable.

I just wish they would release the in-store version and get steam going later. But I guess they figure (correctly, too) that for Steam to be a success AT ALL they need the simultanous release. Cause the only people who will use steam are those in the know, and those in the know will buy the game asap.

Originally posted by Aknot
Im more "curious" about the people screaming "my life is ruined" (not those exact words) because the game is not out. Being upset and disappointed is ok, but some of these people here are taking it a little to seriously. [/B]

we're just witnessing gamers in all our degrees and dimensions expressing our feelings about Value and it's lack of sensitivity towards it's fans, Us the Gamers and thats fine. Yes we will love HL2:bounce:

Originally posted by droper
hl2 is trying to make nvidia bow down to microsoft.
Rumor has it that nVidia is in this position precisely because they wouldn't fold under Microsoft pressure. Supposedly, there was some meeting a year or two ago with Microsoft and graphics card makers where Microsoft said they'd share proprietary DirectX 9 information with the developers if the developers would sign over certain future patent rights to Microsoft. Word has it that ATI bent over and said, "Yes please!" and nVidia walked. As such, nVidia was not given the necessarily tools they needed to make a competitive DirectX 9 card.

Now you have Microsoft pimping Valve and ATI, Valve pimping DirectX 9 and ATI, and ATI pimping DirectX 9 and Valve. Sounds like a good ol' fashioned circle jerk to me.

If only Valve had the good sense to code an OpenGL codepath then we wouldn't have any of this nonsense.

Originally posted by Mountain Man

If only Valve had the good sense to code an OpenGL codepath then we wouldn't have any of this nonsense.
actually yes we would, they have had to do the exact same thing with the geforce fxs in doom 3, downgrade the quality to get it to run at good speeds. (even camark said that when the geforce fx and runs at the proper defualt path "which ati's will run at but not nvidia" the ati cards blow them out of the water, now when they run in their "special" optimized path, they do better then the ati cards, you draw the picture, its easy to see.

It didnt take this post or any interview from anyone from Valve or otherwise to tell you HL2 was pushed back because of Steam. Its obvious.

HL2's platform is Steam. Steam is OBVIOUSLY not ready. Therefore HL2 must be delayed. That simple.

Sadly i doubt all those cool effect of DX9 would carry over to Opengl...

Great story m8 :) So Gabe seemed constipated like he did when I met him?

why did this thread turn into a delay speculation and ati/nvidia talk thread?
all you guys bashing valve are just being impatient. you manufacture reasons to be mad. your complaining and bitching isn't going to affect valve, so what's the point?
the only say you have is with your wallet. if the money comes out of your wallet and goes to valve, you've spoken. you have nothing else to say. if you're pissed at valve, don't buy hl2. otherwise shut up.

if a million different people got on this forum and all wrote posts about how they're pissed that valve missed their release date, and that valve did this and that stupidly and posted and bitched and posted and bitched....and THEN went and bought hl2 when it came out...the 1,000,000 posts would mean NOTHING.

just like all your anger...it means nothing. countless games have been delayed, and they'll continue to be delayed...it's the nature of programming and marketing...live with it or find another hobby

your hatred/anger will be erased the moment the you double-click the hl2 icon on your desktop.

nice post btw...i look forward to the video.

Originally posted by Maskirovka
why did this thread turn into a delay speculation and ati/nvidia talk thread?
all you guys bashing valve are just being impatient. you manufacture reasons to be mad. your complaining and bitching isn't going to affect valve, so what's the point?
the only say you have is with your wallet. if the money comes out of your wallet and goes to valve, you've spoken. you have nothing else to say. if you're pissed at valve, don't buy hl2. otherwise shut up.

if a million different people got on this forum and all wrote posts about how they're pissed that valve missed their release date, and that valve did this and that stupidly and posted and bitched and posted and bitched....and THEN went and bought hl2 when it came out...the 1,000,000 posts would mean NOTHING.

just like all your anger...it means nothing. countless games have been delayed, and they'll continue to be delayed...it's the nature of programming and marketing...live with it or find another hobby

your hatred/anger will be erased the moment the you double-click the hl2 icon on your desktop.

While this is true, it doesn't mean people shouldn't be angry. VALVe lied to us (the community) repeatedly. They swore "September 30th" was the date, and they lied. That pisses people off. I know it dissapointed me when the delay was announced.

It's true, people should expect delays, except not when the f*cking developers swear by the date in every interview and press statement.

...oh, and further more. people (like me) updated their PC's just to play halflife2. if we knew it was coming out in the "holiday season" then we could've waited and saved money on graphics cards (especially with the XT line being released).

So VALVe's lying has cost some people money as well as headaches.

Originally posted by manny_c44
While this is true, it doesn't mean people shouldn't be angry. VALVe lied to us (the community) repeatedly. They swore "September 30th" was the date, and they lied. That pisses people off. I know it dissapointed me when the delay was announced.

It's true, people should expect delays, except not when the f*cking developers swear by the date in every interview and press statement.

OWND!!!!!!!!!111!

aaaahhh gotta love an open bar an free clothes

good work looks like i'll be hopping on the Ati bandwagon

ok time for a beer

To all you Steam Haters:

Every copy of HL2 sold over Steam will put $25 more into Valves pockets compared to a store bought version. Personally, I'd like Valve to have the money instead of Viviendi.

If you think Valve is only concerned about the money, you're right. But, they've shown they put the money to good use. They could create half assed games based on existing technology, but instead they put a rediculous amount of time and money into creating incredible new game engines.

If the delay is because of Steam, then so be it. That's one cause I have no problem with. I'll wait another month or so if it means that HL3 will be that much better.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
Rumor has it that nVidia is in this position precisely because they wouldn't fold under Microsoft pressure. Supposedly, there was some meeting a year or two ago with Microsoft and graphics card makers where Microsoft said they'd share proprietary DirectX 9 information with the developers if the developers would sign over certain future patent rights to Microsoft. Word has it that ATI bent over and said, "Yes please!" and nVidia walked. As such, nVidia was not given the necessarily tools they needed to make a competitive DirectX 9 card.

Now you have Microsoft pimping Valve and ATI, Valve pimping DirectX 9 and ATI, and ATI pimping DirectX 9 and Valve. Sounds like a good ol' fashioned circle jerk to me.

I hope these negotiations didn't take place anywhere near the USA. We have laws about this sort of thing. Ohhhh, wait, that's right, we're talking about Microsoft...

Originally posted by Tropico
Making a new card would take months.
Unless they started straight after de 3dmark incident.

They actually have a lot of graphic cpu's on the working line, so does ATI, and all other CPU developers, so it wouldn't really be coming down to making a 'new' card, more like simply releasing what's in the pipeline.

...oh, and further more. people (like me) updated their PC's just to play halflife2. if we knew it was coming out in the "holiday season" then we could've waited and saved money on graphics cards (especially with the XT line being released).

So VALVe's lying has cost some people money as well as headaches.

um no

your impatience is what cost you the money. you thinking a game would be on store shelves without a gold announcement first was what cost you the money.

you could've waited to upgrade but you chose to do it even though the possibility existed that the game would be delayed. i know you're not stupid, you should know that big games are almost always delayed. it's not the company purposely doing it, they just run into problems. it's the nature of software.

knowing that, you should've waited to upgrade. i was going to buy a 9800pro, but i thought "hmm what if it's delayed...maybe i should just wait" and now i'm gonna save money because the XT is coming.

it's not valve's fault you're impatient. stop blaming valve...

i agree, the way they did things is shitty, but complaning about it isn't going to do anything but waste time...valve isn't going to listen

valve never "swore" that they would hold the date, they said they were confident in that date, but if they needed extra time then they would take it.

even in a video interview from E3 with some german site gabe was asked if he swore on his life that HL2 would be out september 30th and he said no, if we need more time we're going to take the time.

it's quite possible they were still confident in that date themselves up until very close to the delay announcement.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
valve never "swore" that they would hold the date, they said they were confident in that date, but if they needed extra time then they would take it.

even in a video interview from E3 with some german site gabe was asked if he swore on his life that HL2 would be out september 30th and he said no, if we need more time we're going to take the time.

it's quite possible they were still confident in that date themselves up until very close to the delay announcement.

yes...your blind faith and lack of thought is what cost you money...it's only valve's fault indirectly

wow you cant have 1 thread without a nerd fight.. stfu, for christ sakes

guys have you heard about half-life 2? yeah its gonna have like sweet graphics in stuff! oh man they've been working on it for years. yeah dude no way! i heard there is this alien bio tube you can get and melt your hand and mold your hand into something cool to like pick locks or stab people! dude no way i can't wait! me either! so whens it coming out? oh.. never.

um no

it's not valve's fault you're impatient. stop blaming valve...

i agree, the way they did things is shitty, but complaning about it isn't going to do anything but waste time...valve isn't going to listen

But it is Valves Fault For Lying. stop trying to cover for them. they can do it for themselfs.
I mean you just dont f ****ing delay a game like HL2 a week before its released. Should have given a months noticed.

Thanks! Very clearly and concisely written! You should have given Gabe a hug.

I know some people here that are pissed and will No longer buy the game.
Not only that but they wil d/l it. and let other ppl d/l it from them.So u see t does affect them in some way.
I just wish they could have released the boxed version. And **** steam.

To all you Steam Haters:

Personally, I'd like Valve to have the money instead of Viviendi.

Me too.

I'm hoping those ppl who want to download it get thwarted (or at least a little delayed) by the fact that HL2 is so integrated with Steam and such, even though I know the warez groups will be working their ASSES off trying to crack it, since this is one of the biggest releases in a while methinks...so it probably won't do any good lol.

Originally posted by AgentXen
I know some people here that are pissed and will No longer buy the game.
Not only that but they wil d/l it. and let other ppl d/l it from them.So u see t does affect them in some way.
I just wish they could have released the boxed version. And **** steam.

people like that make me laugh, they decide to download the game over petty shit like this, haha.

[sarcasm] makes it quite clear they understand the intricacies of software development, and how to act when they grow up and need to live in the Real World (tm). [/sarcasm]

and i'm leaning towards the fact that those people, despite what they said, were planning to download the game in the first place, heh.

Originally posted by Valer
The Japanese site release the report part 1 on the Alcatraz event.
Of course the report is in Japanese language, but there are about 10 pictures of the event also:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20031002/ati_01.htm
Yeah, there were a couple asian looking guys with some very fancy tripods going around and taking picutres of everything. I guess they were from this site.

Im at work now capturing the video... I should have it ready in a couple hours. I also think I got in trouble for posting what I did. Im sorry, I don't know the rules of quoting ppl as well as I should.

Back