Novel of Alctraz Event

dbsynergy

Reaction score
On Top of the Rock

Introduction:
September 30th, the day Half-Life2 was supposed to be released. The day starts slow, I read on the www.halflife2.net/forums that the ATI “On Top of the Rock” event is to be held to the press and investors and the ferries leave the docks at 5:30 and 6:00 PM. Work ends at 2PM, I drive from Pleasant Hill to San Francisco munching down on some drive through Burger King to get an idea of what I am up against. Traffic sucks as usual, so I get there a little after 3PM.

Looking for Gabe:
Park my car, walk though the fisherman’s warf, and into Pier39 where most tourists go hoping I can see Gabe relaxing near the San Francisco bay but with no luck. I wonder into a local InternetCafe to post on the forums where I am and what I am trying to do but halflife2.net is down! I head back down to the docks where ATI was setting up the registration tables and getting ready for the swarms of industry leaders that were coming to see ATI’s newest hardware. This is where the tough part comes in.

Crashing the party:
When they start opening the registration at 5PM, I give them my name as they try to find it in the guestbook. After they didn’t find it, they ask me if I had RSVP’d or not and asked me to wait. Patiently, I sat in the cold, foggy, extremely windy dock for an hour to find out if they had enough room for me on Alcatraz. That’s when I got to talk to a guy from GameSpot. He had just flown back from Japan and was really cranky so I didn’t really get much info out of him. Then Derk Mann from Dreamworks was trying to pull the same stunt I was. He was a real friendly guy who I would stick with most of the trip since we were in the same position. Finnaly, they have a stack of passes of people that didn’t show up so they black their names out with a sharpie and write our names in.

Arriving at the rock:
Had to climb up a huge hill to get to the top. When we got inside the prison, we were directed to the shower room where the initial reception was held. Since I didn’t know anyone, I just walked around looking for something cool to shoot. They had an open bar serving all sorts of alcohol and about 5 bartenders. Food came constantly out of the kitchen with things like crab cocktails, little roast beef sandwiches, and cups of wine to go around.

***Removed at request***

A guy from HardOCP had a few things to say to me too about the XT series and how excited he is about this upcoming release:

[H]: The new XT series cards are dynamically and automatically overclocked while you are playing games. A thermal sensor onchip helps keep the card from overheating and becoming unstable. The 9800 XT should cost upwards of $499 and play.
Me: Do you think we will see the HL2 benchmark today?
[H]: No, I know the guy actually writing it and he told me it isn’t ready for public

They also had a green screen setup where people could take pictures and two guys with photoshop running would slave away trying to superimpose bars and a cell to make it look like you were trapped in a prison cell. Then they had a photo printer so you can take home some Alcatraz souvenirs.
After about an hour of drinks and snacks, a guy announced that we were all moving upstairs past the cells and into the dining room where the show was about to begin.

The show:
For the show, they paid about a dozen really hot dancer chicks dressed up in black leather and had whips. They also had another dozen guys dressed up with zombie masks and were getting beaten by the chicks. The whole place was lit like a strip club. The stage had half a dozen plasma screens that would run though a powerpoint presentation which I recorded.
There was one guy with a very loud deep voice with white and gray face paint on that started the show and introduced who I think is the CEO of ATI. He talks about the features of the new cards and about DirectX 9 for a good long time. Mostly information we already know but it will be in the video when I get around to releasing it. BTW, notice that the CEO slips up and actually says the F word in his speech. Ah well.
After he is done, he introduces a speaker from Dell to talk about the Dimension XPS which you can see many off scattered throughout the show floor. He mentions that the XPS has 9800 XT’s in stock and ready to buy bundled with XPS’s today, as in right now. He talks about how powerful the computer is and then he switches back to the CEO.
The CEO talks some more, you’ll see it all in the video, then goes an ASUS speaker.
The ASUS guy says that they have switched to producing Radeon boards with all the bells and whistles that they are known for having on their boards. They also have some hot chick as their mascot printed on the boxes. He mentions that HL2 WILL BE BUNDLED WITH THE 9800XT.
GABE NEWELL is next up but he doesn’t do too well. This is where you notice Gabe is really tired, nervous, and is having trouble stringing some words together. Possibly because he just got back from Japan? Watch the vid. He says a lot about the stress of being late on a product, and how good Dell is. He talks about how hard it is to write code for DX8, how easy it is for DX9, and how good the Radeon is on a Dell. Then he makes some cracks on the ‘competition’ and then how good the R36x chip is on a mobile products. HDR is also something that ATI really helped them out on and ATI doesn’t send them non-working drivers, hardware, etc, cough, nvidia, cough. Then he once again mentions how well ATI and Dell understand games and mods.
A few minutes later, I run out of tape, while I try to rewind my tape to record over the beginning, my battery runs out too. Oh well, nothing was really missed.

After the presentation:
After the show, I go grab some crab cakes and head over to the corner where Gabe was getting ready to head upstairs. I stop him, introduce myself, shake his hand, and get on with a couple questions since he didn’t have a whole lot of time and my mind started to draw a blank for actually meeting the guy:

Me: Hi, my name is Allan Claghorn. I have one question. How is TF2 coming along?
Gabe: It is coming well. Robin and Yahn and the TF2 team are working on it right now actually.
Me: Oh? They are working on TF2 and not HL2?
Gabe: That’s right. We plan to release more information about TF2 when we are getting ready to release HL2.
Me: Thank you.

***Removed at request***

The strider and buggy BINK videos were looping on a Dell XPS system in the corner, Another PC setup by ASUS was made completely out of clear parts and was brightly lit with blue neon lights. They also had sample XT cards on display on the show floor.

Upstairs in the hospital ward, Gigabyte, Saphire, and Hercules had booths setup showing their products. Every cell had several Dell XPS systems loaded with various games, most of which I had never seen before. Halo2, and GTA ViceCity were the two I recognized.

That’s pretty much it. You can find a lot of information in the video which should be up on the net and on various mirrors all over the place this afternoon. Sorry, no HL2 benchmark and not a ton of new info about the game but surely a good chunk of info in related topics. I got a paperweight from Gigabyte, a t-shit that says “ON TOP AT THE ROCK” on the back and had an XPS and HL2 logo on it. I also got an “Get in the game” sweater with an HL2 logo on the right sleve, and a blue and black Windows XP sweater.

Excuse the poor grammar and layout of this document. It was rushed out at 1:30 AM due the vicious HL2 community members.

:) sounds like you had a good day, cant wait for the video.

a t-shit? :p

Let's hope Valve get more Steam servers :(

Anyways good story

wow, thanks for the post.

And for all the conspiracy tellers: IT IS STEAM KEEPING HL2 BACK, THE BASTARDS !!!

on a more serious note. If Nvidia realy does get pissed at Valve, and at this point i can understand why, and pulls it's steam content servers then what will Valve do?
Release the way we want it, in a box in dvd/cd. Or will they push back even further......

I do think it's somewhat lame if Valve badmouthing one of the big hardware companies of the industry. Maybe their stuff isn't what they expected but i didn't see ATI servers serving steam content.

Thanks for the information. You are pretty lucky to just tag along.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Well well so HL2 is done ! And all the BS we here from valve about the language small buggs etc.. Seems like valve have ****ed up !

Originally posted by Producer
Well well so HL2 is done ! And all the BS we here from valve about the language small buggs etc.. Seems like valve have ****ed up !

Or in other words, Steam content providers ****ed up. Maybe they should just get a couple of hosts for a tracker and the files. And the rest goes through P2P?

Originally posted by dbsynergy
Every cell had several Dell XPS systems loaded with various games, most of which I had never seen before. Halo2, and GTA ViceCity were the two I recognized.

Maybe you saw HL2 and didn't recognize it, LOL.

Great news. How comes you actually got in there?

Well anyway, all seems to point at a hl2 release on the 5-year anniversary of hl1...

Originally posted by FISKER_Q
Or in other words, Steam content providers ****ed up. Maybe they should just get a couple of hosts for a tracker and the files. And the rest goes through P2P?
Gabe mentioned that they used the money that they made from HL1 and some money they had 'laying around' to make what they have now. I would assume that they could afford their own content servers at colocation facilities if they wanted to.

BTW, Everyone I talked to was very agianst Steam.

so its because of steam we dont have it! its a lunitic piece of cr*p anyway! it cant handle small patches nevermind the game that every man, woman , child and their relations want! to quote jay and silent bob SB: "f**k steam, f**k them in their stupid asses"

Gabe mentioned that they used the money that they made from HL1 and some money they had 'laying around' to make what they have now. I would assume that they could afford their own content servers at colocation facilities if they wanted to.

BTW, Everyone I talked to was very agianst Steam.
They used their money to make Steam and HL2 yes. But bandwitdh costs money. And the most popular game in this world needs hosting. And paying that for yourself just isn't worth it.

Although they of course should get some servers. Maybe they should get that P2P up and running. 2 Trackers and 3 content servers. And then lower requirements for content serving, maybe all the way down to 10Mbit else just at T3 level.

More would join since it would be more worth to share the bandwitdh.

And coupled with P2P then even at high load times it should be able to run.

Of course they could just also hire Akamai or what they are called to setup servers.

I Think steam is a great program, and the only thing that makes it bad is the high load.

Originally posted by FISKER_Q
They used their money to make Steam and HL2 yes. But bandwitdh costs money. And the most popular game in this world needs hosting. And paying that for yourself just isn't worth it.

Although they of course should get some servers. Maybe they should get that P2P up and running. 2 Trackers and 3 content servers. And then lower requirements for content serving, maybe all the way down to 10Mbit else just at T3 level.

More would join since it would be more worth to share the bandwitdh.

And coupled with P2P then even at high load times it should be able to run.

Of course they could just also hire Akamai or what they are called to setup servers.

I Think steam is a great program, and the only thing that makes it bad is the high load.

If they are charging ppl a subscription then the bandwith costs are supplimented by the fees imposed on the players. Even if a player chooses not to subscribe, the estimated 2GB download would cost $4 in todays bandwith markets. That is alot less than the, agian estimated $50 that they will charge for the game. I see your point but they won't be loosing money if they host themselfs.

Originally posted by Kitarist
Are Radeon 9600 XT out? how much will they cost?
oops, I forgot, my 'buddy' is talking about the price on the tape

Originally posted by Organizer
When can we see the video?? :)
After I edit it and post it on the net later today. I should get some rest in the mean time.

If they are charging ppl a subscription then the bandwith costs are supplimented by the fees imposed on the players. Even if a player chooses not to subscribe, the estimated 2GB download would cost $4 in todays bandwith markets. That is alot less than the, agian estimated $50 that they will charge for the game. I see your point but they won't be loosing money if they host themselfs.

Valve doesn't get 50$ I'm having a hard time believing they even get 20$.

You also gotta remember how much money Gabe puts into it. He's a really dedicated man, and i don't think he should be stomped by bandwitdh prices and so on. I do believe he should set the iniative for people though.

Maybe get 500Mbit/s of bandwitdh set up through Akamai. 2 100Mbit servers for Trackers(P2P) 3 others for for content servers. At the same time they are all validation and authtentication servers. And with Akamai it would seem possible.

It's just, at what price?

If were waiting on steam we wont be waiting long then. Certainly not christmas time.

It makes sense to delay anyway
Steams not ready
Ati card launches soon
Nvidia patches are sorted...

Originally posted by Kitarist
Are Radeon 9600 XT out? how much will they cost?
199$ at launch. But consider quick pricedrops afterwards with the new FX.

Then it's just a matter about if you would get HL2 that late.

I'm a little bit loost here !!

as we have read HL2 was done 2 weeks ago !
Gamespy posted that the 9800XT is scheduled to be on shelves October 1st and 9600 some weeks later ,and that HL2 is delayd to mid-Nov !!!! .
I don't see the problem why don't just ship the game in a box ?!? why wait for steam, nobody seems to like it anyway ??

nearly 5 years of secret developement and Valve was able to destroy the surprise and the excitement in less than 2 weeks. Congratulations for screwing up the whole HL2 launch! Great job, well done Valve!

Well done dbsynergy. Good going on using the ol' noggin(and perserverance) to actually get into the event...not to mention cornering Gabe and all the others for "questioning".
Looking forward to the vid(err...hot chicks...super computers...prison? OH YEAH!)
Ya gotta come clean on one thing tho. How much of the free booze did ya soak up? j/k...nice reporting on the event. :)

Well, no plan or system is ever invincible. At any time, problems could poke up that would ruin anyone's plan - like the content providers backing out on Valve.

Let's just theoretically say that the reason a release of HL2 on Steam wasn't on time because of the content providers backing out - OR any sort of similar reason - Gabe or any of Valve wouldn't likely SAY this.. they'd probably say that they just weren't finished (like they have) yet this guy spilled the beans (someone in the know)..
Perhaps HL2 isn't that far away.. I mean, even that guy at the IGN boards (the special guest poster), who worked with Valve on several occasions, was being told to push people to get ready for an initial Steam Release with Retail no more than days away.
As I've always said, either Valve knew that this delay was going to happen for atleast a month or longer (which would mean they lied to us and that IGN guy) and pushed for 30 September for marketing hype (by us)... OR, something really big happened - something unseen and unexpected (like content providers backing out).

Hey, we all hope the game is released sooner better than later. I'm full prepared for a 2004 release (worst case scenario - cancelled is not possible).

Originally posted by FriScho
nearly 5 years of secret developement and Valve was able to destroy the surprise and the excitement in less than 2 weeks. Congratulations for screwing up the whole HL2 launch! Great job, well done Valve!

Shut up.

Originally posted by Ares
Good cover!! *wink*
You're good..
and he was right.

No hes not right.

Ok look at it this way.

Which would you prefer, waiting a few more weeks....

Or having the game previewed 2 years ago knowing you had to wait 2 years with the games surprises slowley leaking out ruining the whole experience for you.

Originally posted by Mr.Magnetichead
No hes not right.

Ok look at it this way.

Which would you prefer, waiting a few more weeks....

Or having the game previewed 2 years ago knowing you had to wait 2 years with the games surprises slowley leaking out ruining the whole experience for you.

Oh, well I like the way they did it.. it's just that the experience was ruined because of the game being delayed (which I don't blame Valve for).. they had the opportunity of a flawless announcement of the game
all the way to a flawless release but it's not like that anymore :(
It's not like it will ruin the game, it's just that the excitement of a close(er) release is no longer there.

Basically:
I don't think they could have done anything better with the way they announced HL2 out of the blue - 4-5 years in development with nothing mentioned about the game then BAM - E3 2003 and we have HL2 coming soon in a few months - AWESOME. It'll be a few more months late but it's not the end of the world.. they just had their plan messed up :(

"nearly 5 years of secret developement and Valve was able to destroy the surprise and the excitement in less than 2 weeks. Congratulations for screwing up the whole HL2 launch! Great job, well done Valve! "

See, I agree with him. He's not saying that they should have announced HL2 any earlier, he's just saying that Valve goofed up on the perfect release. I don't agree that it was entirely Valves fault because anything could have one wrong (and it did - hehe, learning from my Systems Anaylysis and Design/Computer Management System classes :p ).

Back