Oil Rain in Louisiana

That sucks if it's real. Also, i'm no weather expert, but don't rain clouds come from the west and not the south?

I have one logical argument. the very first rainfall after a long period of no rain washes the streets of oil quickly, thats why accidents happen the most around the first rainfall because there is an oil coat on the street all ready. unless someone had a jar outside and the rain was in it that showed oil i don't think it could be that bad. but when you think of it, dew/mist comes off the ocean and could easily be sucked into the atmosphere depositing it elsewhere

Could very easily have been faked, and a reckon we would've heard about this if it's true. It's a thing so sensational the news couldn't have waited to get hold off.

That sucks if it's real. Also, i'm no weather expert, but don't rain clouds come from the west and not the south?

I live in the St. Louis area, and here storms are supposed to come from the west, but most of our storms haven't for the last 3 years. We've had a few come from the east, which is ****ed up. In the gulf storms usually travel north-east, and if they're anywhere near the gulf , an eastbound storm could have easily been getting its moisture from the gulf, as well as the land it was hovering over.

Plus, gulf storms are logically retarded. I've been in Ft. Walton where a storm went in circles around the city.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just oil off the streets, as Warped said.

I have one logical argument. the very first rainfall after a long period of no rain washes the streets of oil quickly, thats why accidents happen the most around the first rainfall because there is an oil coat on the street all ready. unless someone had a jar outside and the rain was in it that showed oil i don't think it could be that bad. but when you think of it, dew/mist comes off the ocean and could easily be sucked into the atmosphere depositing it elsewhere

Holy crap warped said something intelligable

Holy crap Acepilot doesn't use spell check.

Holy crap that is the god damn joke GOD DAMN

DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT

Holy crap spell check doesn't = intelligent posts.

OR GOOD JOKES, FOR THAT MATTER

Ace made a typo and tried to pass it off as a joke about Warped. tee hee

Yeah after thinking about it further, oil has some lighter volatile components and some heavy components. The heavier components wouldn't evaporate much because, well, they're heavy! The more volatile ones wouldn't rain out because (1) their vapor pressure is high, and (2) they're not soluble in water -- especially not the stuff you're seeing in those rainbow-colored slicks. Rain is typically pure water (slightly acidic when CO2 dissolves into it). It'll bring down dust/particles and sometimes SO2 will react with it and form acid rain, but I can't think of any reason volatile oil components would come down with rain or any reason the heavier components would be floating around up there available to be rained out.

So yeah... I'm gonna say "not possible." :)

I didn't watch the video so I didn't see to what degree they were claiming, but it's probably possible for a strong weather system to whisk off some surface oils.

You know what this means, though.

Black rainbows! Equal rights for weather!

Even if a tiny amount of oil was somehow carried onshore (which is unlikely considering how viscous it is) it sure as hell wouldn't be enough to cover the ground like that.

*edit* isn't crude oil thick like jelly? that stuff looks like motor oil.

Back