Olympic officials block sea view to stop residents watching 2012 sailing for free

Gargantou

Companion Cube
Reaction score
"Residents of Weymouth in Dorset will not be allowed to watch the 2012 regatta without a ticket even if their property overlooks the sailing competitions. In a bid to stop people catching a glimpse of the Olympic regatta, officials have closed off the public park that boasts sea views. A wall will be built around Nothe Gardens at Weymouth and Portland that stretches across 40,000 square metres of land and will play host to sailing events."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...top-residents-watching-2012-sailing-free.html

Gee, I wonder how much building this wall will cost in comparison to the 'lost' ticket sales had they not built it?

what costs more? the money to build the wall or the money they will lose from lost ticket sales?

Que every cherry picker and crane in a 200 mile radius being booked out for the olympic period :p

If we don't stop these freeloaders from selfishly downloading the events with their eyes, how will we fund future sporting content.

The **** is this world coming to? Bunch of ****ing assholes with pay per view mentality.

Or they could have put up food stalls in the park and made money instead.

They can get the contractors that made the Berlin wall, they'll do it for half price!

The **** is this world coming to? Bunch of ****ing assholes with pay per view mentality.

Pay per view is fine, but in this case the fence costs more than the lost ticket revenue, as Gargantou said. So it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I think perhaps so those who paid for tickets don't flip out and riot when they see people watching from their patio. The people who bought tickets didn't have any seating built for them- they're being forced to sit in the dirt and grass. Wonder if it will rain.

Pay per view is fine, but in this case the fence costs more than the lost ticket revenue, as Gargantou said. So it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I think perhaps so those who paid for tickets don't flip out and riot when they see people watching from their patio. The people who bought tickets didn't have any seating built for them- they're being forced to sit in the dirt and grass. Wonder if it will rain.

Those people flipping out who might "riot" as you say because people can catch glimpses of the race for free...

They can suck a big fat dick. Bunch of whining pussies they'd be.

Those people flipping out who might "riot" as you say because people can catch glimpses of the race for free...

They can suck a big fat dick. Bunch of whining pussies they'd be.

Well not so much the fact that others get to see for free, just that it would just highlight how much they got ripped off. They shouldn't have built a wall, they should have just built cheap bleacher seating for the ticketholders at least.

Well not so much the fact that others get to see for free, just that it would just highlight how much they got ripped off. They shouldn't have built a wall, they should have just built cheap bleacher seating for the ticketholders at least.

Ripped off? ****ING BULLSHIT. You're a sad person if you judge your enjoyment of something based on whether other people get to see it for free or not.

I think someone should make a huge ass bonfire and make more of a scene or light fireworks, just something that totally takes the steam away from the sailing

Yay for Olympic sporting events being about money and not the celebration of athletic achievement! Seriously, the Olympic commission needs to pull its head out its ass once and a while.

Ripped off? ****ING BULLSHIT. You're a sad person if you judge your enjoyment of something based on whether other people get to see it for free or not.

You're not getting what I'm saying. Not ripped off because people got to see for free- it theoretically could make them realize they've been ripped off with the sitting in the open ground situation. The wall is not to hide the boats from the houses. It's really to hide the houses from the paying spectators.

You're not getting what I'm saying. Not ripped off because people got to see for free- it theoretically could make them realize they've been ripped off with the sitting in the open ground situation. The wall is not to hide the boats from the houses. It's really to hide the houses from the paying spectators.

Hide the houses from the paying spectators? They're not supposed to be watching the god damn houses, they're supposed to be watching the boats!

jHHwV.png

Please tell me why they'd feel they are being ripped off with the sitting in the open ground situation. Did they not know what they were paying for? Jesus Christ Rakurai.

I feel ripped off using the internet I pay for and see people posting from the Library on internet they didn't pay for. We should wall off the library computers so I dont feel this way anymore.

Heh, typical.

You didn't pay to see this, you're not allowed to watch it, we don't care if your house or favourite public garden overlooks it, we're putting a wall up.

No sense of people coming together for the Olympics in England, eh? It's all about raking the cash in.

Please tell me why they'd feel they are being ripped off with the sitting in the open ground situation. Did they not know what they were paying for? Jesus Christ Rakurai.

Yeah I'd say the same thing but that's how real people act. I didn't say it was right or legitimized but it's the reason why. What the organizers should have done was set up decent seating rather than a wall.

so is this wall permanent?

it is possible that local law enforcement doesn't have the resources to watch over the ensuing crowd. it could be essentially crowd control, which is a very difficult and potentially dangerous thing to monitor.

it is possible that local law enforcement doesn't have the resources to watch over the ensuing crowd. it could be essentially crowd control, which is a very difficult and potentially dangerous thing to monitor.

Yes, we all know how rowdy those sailboat enthusiast crowds can get!

I strongly doubt it is permanent. I am guessing that it will probably be torn down after the Olympics are over.

Do they not sell enough tickets or something? Would have thought the Olympics would be booked out.

Yes, we all know how rowdy those sailboat enthusiast crowds can get!

in order to get tickets for the olympics, you need to enter a raffle with an application because so many people want to go, from the entire world. doesn't matter how rowdy they are, this could be a precaution to prevent a huge huge crowd from forming at a waterfront.

just saying that you guys are all deriving your opinions from a loaded Daily Mail article. there's probably more to it than what that shit publication has to say.

Do they not sell enough tickets or something? Would have thought the Olympics would be booked out.

Somebody didn't read the article!

They sold out instantly. People have to sit on the wet grass and mud because they cant provide them seating.

Hiding Dorset from the eyes of the developed world? I like your thinking...

How it would happen anyways:

"Oh look honey, boats."

"Who gives a shit?"

"Oh yeah."

The retarded bit is charging for tickets at all, it would be MUCH better on TV. I assume whoever made this decision never heard of advertising.....

Pretty much a dick move, IMO. Like they're expecting hoardes of people to go down to that spot from all over the country to leech off the freebieness of witnessing one part of the entire Olympics without a ticket. Yeah, the money will just drain away from the Nation's profits.

And here I thought the Olympic Games were supposed to be about celebrating and showcasing our potential and capability as human beings of all nations and colours. Or even a source of national pride and common ground for the UK. I guess that's just what they call 'branding'?

And here I thought the Olympic Games were supposed to be about celebrating and showcasing our potential and capability as human beings of all nations and colours. Or even a source of national pride and common ground for the UK. I guess that's just what they call 'branding'?
Yeah, it's about the part of all that stuff that reflects well on our reputation and makes money. Like almost everything in the world, ever. I just depressed myself typing this.

Back