Olympics

The final bit of the torch lighting was breathtaking.

I'll be watching any of the events I happen to see on (except for canoeing and kayaking, those are must sees), rooting for Canada, and the odd time, Australia.

Opening ceremony was, I guiltily admit, cool. But I half-expected the premier to be shot on stage.

While the opening ceremony was going on, I was like " Man if one of these performers screws up they will probably be taken out back and shot". Of course I didn't notice anyone screw up :D They did everything with military precision.

While the opening ceremony was going on, I was like " Man if one of these performers screws up they will probably be taken out back and shot". Of course I didn't notice anyone screw up :D They did everything with military precision.

Only the programmer would get punished anyways.

After I saw the major leaders of the world all in one place, plus the bright young heroes of every country, and all the planning that went into the event, I thought, man, one cruise missile with a nuclear warhead could really mess up the next 100 years or so.

I also liked the flying astronauts.

After I saw the major leaders of the world all in one place, plus the bright young heroes of every country, and all the planning that went into the event, I thought, man, one cruise missile with a nuclear warhead could really mess up the next 100 years or so.
Shhh....Don't give Al Queda any ideas.

A spy could be viewing this very thread. :O

I like watching some of the events.

Oh, and I was wondering how did things go for you Dan? I guess you didn't get your bike back?

Belgium's gonna kick ass and take medals with their 92-headed delegation

Whats rather coincidental is that when the eyes of the world were on Beijing for this firework display, Russia were rampaging over Georgia, the perfect distraction haha.

Whats rather coincidental is that when the eyes of the world were on Beijing for this firework display, Russia were rampaging over Georgia, the perfect distraction haha.

That was weird, yeah...

Whats rather depressing is that when the eyes of the world were on Beijing for this fireworks display, China was still abusing its people and Tibet, the perfect distraction haha.

Assuming future generations have any moral fiber, I can see the year 2008 being lamented as a stain on human history, or at least one of the darker years in the beginning decade of this century.

Nice little history lesson.
Hitler used the Olympics to show Nazi Germany to be fantastic, the German competitors had the determination no one ever seen before, as they were pushed so much.

Kennedy and Khrushchev used the Olympics during the Cold war to show there countries to be better than one another, they too pushed there countrymen to perform ridiculously well.

Amusingly enough I noticed, the Chinese competitors look more pissed off and determined in the Olympics, probably due to the speculation, theres more at stake than a medal :p

We're in 3rd place! Yeah!

We're gonna crush the living shit out of all those... foreignors. :p

The odd thing is watching China desperately attempt to scramble around to cover for its many many mistakes.

Good opening ceremony though, except the Aussies were near the back...

I remember reading that the order of countries presented were based on the amount of strokes it takes to write the name of the country. Only exceptions to this were Greece and China for obvious reasons.

All I watched was Beach Volleyball..

No sports have ever interested me, too bad my entire family loves watching any kind of sports, while I sit there, bored out of my mind.

I haven't seen so much as a single second of footage from the games this year, god bless Sky telly and computer games.

wooot, first gold medal in women's fencing bitches!!!111 USA! USA! USA!

..ahem..

YEAH!! USA three cheers for USA!!!!

*complete silence*

Michael's Phelps swim was really good. Hopefully he can break 10 gold models by the end of the games.

I've been watching them all day between NBC, CNBC and online. The online thing they have is rather cool. They're live streams from Beijing, most of them not being aired on TV. The quality is rather good as well even when enlarged. Then you can have four streams going at once, so I'm watching weightlifting, air pistol and judo and then volleyball on TV.

Go Stephanie Rice. Woo.

*everything swamped by Phelps media attention*

How about that coach's father in law who was stabbed to death by a chinese citizen.

wtf.

Apparently China has banned bald and smelly taxi drivers for the duration of the games. They're being held in a compound until the games are over

I haven't watched a single frame of the Olympics. In fact I forgot they were even going on.

I just saw the women's weightlifting yesterday. It amazes me how their rather small frame can lift a 100 kg weight up like that. Amazing.

I haven't watched a single frame of the Olympics. In fact I forgot they were even going on.

Same here, except when I see this thread. They'll be over before I know it.

The only part of the Olympics that I watched was women's volleyball. :naughty:

Well you are missing out. I don't even like some of the events...I'd never usually watch them, but they are putting a wonderful spectacle in Beijing and the competitors from every country are showing some amazing achievements on this world stage.

It's fine if you aren't interested in the games, but don't post as it's insignificant and unimportant. Other members here do actually enjoy the Olympic games and actually appreciate the individual achievements on display there, something we are proud of.

In other news, Phelps is so awesome it's incredible. I can't believe he can take so much off the World Records (especially the ones he set!). Enjoyed watching Federer dismantle in the tennis too, good Germans in the badminton this year & GB boxing, cycling, sailing and rowing going well as usual :D

Those swimming record breakings are crazy. Phelps and some other swimmers bettered the world record by 2-4 seconds. That's an incredible standard. Btw, I love woman volleyball the best.

I agree with all of what Mr. Glenn has said. There isn't enough time in the day (especially with working :| ) to watch all of the Olympic coverage I want to watch. Even the sports I am not particularly interested in on the other 1445 days the Olympics aren't running, I love every moment of them now. Except...fencing, I just can't see myself getting into fencing.

Ack! Spoilers start on page 4 ...

I haven't seen any events yet, but I did just watch a HQ recording of the opening ceremony. I'm not going to go on and on about it but that was freaking amazing. The event of a lifetime.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some events. I'm going to watch USA vs. China basketball tomorrow! This should be good.

elapsed time here

OK wow. Just fell asleep in my chair.

Holy shit. Our gymnastics team is rocking it.

Yeah, im watching now too. Holy shit Horton had me going "Oh god..OH GOD...OH HOLY SHIT"

Dude me too. That landing was ****-mazing. These scores need to go up faster.

HOLY SHIT, these releases are intense.

And holy shit he landed the triple backflip.

This is making me tear up.

They never show Judo or Taekwondo on TV.

**** the Olympics.

Back