OMG , Some One gave HL2 a 8.3 Score :ooo

they do not think like everyone else ! call the thought police FAST !

Actually, after playing through it, I really don't understand the ridicolously high scores it has received everywhere.

It's like just because it has been talked about for years and years they HAD to give it high scores.

I would say even this is too high but that's my opinion.

Half life 2 is THE best game I have ever played. Hell, I can't even play any of the other games I own because they bore me now. Surpassed the hype for me. 9.9 all the way.

9.8 for me. I agree with everything that was said in that reveiw, even the negatives. IMO it's the best FPS there is, though it's not perfect. I beleive i would score it higher simply because it is exactly my flavour, like the reveiwer said... if you're a fan of quiality FPS' and deep sci fi stories.

Unfortunately for most, you have to dig for the story in this one, not unfortunately for me... I love to dig and think and make theories... this game is perfect for me, and I udnerstand completely why he or she rated it as they did.

It just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

9.5 it misses that little extra, called deathmatch (how I want it so bad)

sums up the reviewer

'As sequels go, this is a great one, but it isn't a perfect game. The story line has holes, there are seemingly pointless clues and dead ends, and some really crappy jumping levels, but a lot of that can simply be avoided. If you are a Sci Fi or shooters fan, this game was made for you, and if you know someone who is, its the perfect gift. "

He is not a good reviewer, it sounds like he just ran through the game to review it as quickly as possible. To find out the story interaction is a great necessity

No were not. HL2's gameplay is less fun than alot of games and story is just as bad as alot of games...the only games worthy of a good story are RPG's and thats because they can pull it off. I don't want to start a Vs. HL2 thread but FarCry is leaps and bounds better than HL2 is tbh and scores much less in the reviews. I guess i'm just pissed that Valve are no different than alot of other devs at lying through their teeth about the game, i was'nt hyping HL2 before its release (i was back in sep 03) so my expectations was'nt sky high for it...my expectations was just good AI (failed, badly), a good story (failed badly), as fun gameplay as HL1 (failed, badly) but i still find it a good game, but nothing special. Edit/ The only thing HL2 does that most games can't do very well is constant action pretty much but again, some would say they use combines more than Doom3 used imps. Well i think they do anyway.

Alig said:
No were not. HL2's gameplay is less fun than alot of games and story is just as bad as alot of games...the only games worthy of a good story are RPG's and thats because they can pull it off. I don't want to start a Vs. HL2 thread but FarCry is leaps and bounds better than HL2 is tbh and scores much less in the reviews. I guess i'm just pissed that Valve are no different than alot of other devs at lying through their teeth about the game, i was'nt hyping HL2 before its release (i was back in sep 03) so my expectations was'nt sky high for it...my expectations was just good AI (failed, badly), a good story (failed badly), as fun gameplay as HL1 (failed, badly) but i still find it a good game, but nothing special.
You have the right to express your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. Nothing in HL2 failed badly, that's not open for discussion. (I'm not saying the game is perfect even though I gave it 10/10 without thinking alot about it)

Alig said:
No were not. HL2's gameplay is less fun than alot of games and story is just as bad as alot of games...the only games worthy of a good story are RPG's and thats because they can pull it off. I don't want to start a Vs. HL2 thread but FarCry is leaps and bounds better than HL2 is tbh and scores much less in the reviews. I guess i'm just pissed that Valve are no different than alot of other devs at lying through their teeth about the game, i was'nt hyping HL2 before its release (i was back in sep 03) so my expectations was'nt sky high for it...my expectations was just good AI (failed, badly), a good story (failed badly), as fun gameplay as HL1 (failed, badly) but i still find it a good game, but nothing special.

Are you SURE you played the same game that the overwhelming majority of us and the critics played? Because it certainly doesn't sound like it.

And as for Valve lying through their teeth - what exactly are they lying about if I may ask? No - don't bother answering because I can already guess what you're going to say and it's been addressed repeatedly.

And this game is MUCH more fun than the original. There are levels in the original that simply bored me to tears ("On the Rail" anyone?) whereas EVERY level in HL2 is worth visiting again (especially the vehicle levels).

I have no idea what game you played but it certainly was not Half Life 2.

MindCrafter said:
You have the right to express your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. Nothing in HL2 failed badly, that's not open for discussion. (I'm not saying the game is perfect even though I gave it 10/10 without thinking alot about it)

...WTF...how can i have a wrong opinion? Mong.

SFLUFAN said:
Are you SURE you played the same game that the overwhelming majority of us and the critics played? Because it certainly doesn't sound like it.

And as for Valve lying through their teeth - what exactly are they lying about if I may ask? No - don't bother answering because I can already guess what you're going to say and it's been addressed repeatedly.

And this game is MUCH more fun than the original. There are levels in the original that simply bored me to tears ("On the Rail" anyone?) whereas EVERY level in HL2 is worth visiting again (especially the vehicle levels).

I have no idea what game you played but it certainly was not Half Life 2.

Like you say, you already know what i'll say about Valve lying, only i thought Valve lied quite alot more than devs usually do saying "No scripted sequences - the best AI ever" is quite a big statement when the game clearly uses scripted sequences alot in every chapter and the AI is always in your god damn way (when you got a squad following) and they really do not think for themselfs like Valve said...i've watched my squad get popped off one by one because they didn't move out the way or return fire.

Wow, it got an 8.3, so what? Are people not entitled to their own opinions, some people think it's out of this world, some people think it's a good game.
Who cares? I certainly dont.

Alig said:
...WTF...how can i have a wrong opinion? Mong.
Because your opinion is that some aspects of HL2 failed badly, which is wrong because it isn't true...

MindCrafter said:
Because your opinion is that some aspects of HL2 failed badly, which is wrong because it isn't true...

Oh ok fair enough, i'll rephrase.

HL2 boasted things its lightyears away from doing.

And what things were boasted about? Seems to me that they accomplished all that they set out to do.

MindCrafter said:

lol, thats the funniest thing ive read all day. I hope you see the irony in your own words :thumbs:

They boasted it had groundbreaking, raising the bar AI. No it didn't. Its no better than FarCry's AI.

Edit/ But FFS i don't want an arguement over HL2, i'm not saying its a bad game, its far from it.

I, for one, thought that the AI was really quite good. The fact that resistance troops picked up different weapons was nice, and the fact they actually used RPGs was good. Hell, I loved the way the Combine strafe-fired, until they reached cover. I thought it was brilliant. Admitted, not quite humanlike, but we have to stand a chance against basic enemies, haven't we?

-Angry Lawyer

I don't know about that - the AI seems to be kickin' my ass on a regular basis :p

NB. said:
lol, thats the funniest thing ive read all day. I hope you see the irony in your own words :thumbs:

"which is wrong because it isn't true..."
:thumbs:

P.S. What does boasted mean?

pblse said:
Actually, after playing through it, I really don't understand the ridicolously high scores it has received everywhere.

It's like just because it has been talked about for years and years they HAD to give it high scores.

I would say even this is too high but that's my opinion.

I bet you thought Halo 2 deserved its over hyped game scores.

8.3 huh, k, who cares about stupid online review scores? if you get dissapointed because you had a great gaming experience and the reviewer found it lacking so he rates it an 8.3 then you really need to get out

8.3 sounds about right. Sure, the game is pretty amazing on some aspects, but on others, it's lacking. I find the game to be far too linear. There are no choices to be made. There's a very definite straight line to be walked down and that's all you do. To me, that is not a perfect game. As well, there are just too many things that were touted to be in the game, that just simply are not. How a game can get a near perfect score while not delivering on it's promises is beyond me.

8.3? Well thats their opinion. Everytime I play Half-Life 2 I get a adrenaline rush because its so good! The music is so unique, the sounds are perfect and the gameplay is so fun! The game gave me goosebumps the first time when I arrived at the train station. HL2 is a 9.7 and the best game ever made in my opinion.

Once again, players are thrust in the role of the future super soldier, as well as super genius, Gordon Freeman, and your job is to save the world from destruction at the hands of the Combine

Anyone care to point me to anything that's actually correct in this sentence? :D

No wonder they're talking about holes in the story :E

But are we supposed to care about this or something?

siorai said:
8.3 sounds about right. Sure, the game is pretty amazing on some aspects, but on others, it's lacking. I find the game to be far too linear. There are no choices to be made. There's a very definite straight line to be walked down and that's all you do. To me, that is not a perfect game. As well, there are just too many things that were touted to be in the game, that just simply are not. How a game can get a near perfect score while not delivering on it's promises is beyond me.

I can recall no one from Valve ever stating that HL2 was ever intended to be anything more than your standard, linear FPS game. Anyone who expected otherwise simply doesn't understand that the were not going to radically alter the nature of what made the first game so very successful. The Half-Life franchise in essence represents the refinement of the linear FPS genre to the n-th degree. STALKER, on the other hand, seeks to bring non-linearity into the FPS genre. I do hope GSC is able to pull it off and wish them the best of luck.

But to criticize the non-linear nature of Half-Life 2 is to not understand what it was to begin with.

The game opens with you facing your nemesis from the first game, G man, and he has an offer, work for him or die.

did he actualy play the game?

and there is a lack of cut scenes and in game movies, this is just blood and guts and mayhem.

erm... interactive cut scenes? immersion? that being one of the main features of hl2

the stupidty makes it not even worth putting in quotes

generally i would give 8.8 for half life

I will count only the bad parts,as there is too much good:
1.the only multiplayer mode in the normal package is one i would describe in one word...that is censored in most forums
2.JUMPING PUZZLEZ :bounce:
3.Doesnt deliver all it promised(mostly the AI)
4.Steam(ing pile of....)
5.Occasional bugs

but all in all...A GREAT GAME

Alig said:
Like you say, you already know what i'll say about Valve lying, only i thought Valve lied quite alot more than devs usually do saying "No scripted sequences - the best AI ever" is quite a big statement when the game clearly uses scripted sequences alot in every chapter and the AI is always in your god damn way (when you got a squad following) and they really do not think for themselfs like Valve said...i've watched my squad get popped off one by one because they didn't move out the way or return fire.

When did Valve say there wouldn't be any scripted sequences?

As for the AI - Every developer likes to toot their own horn, not excluding Valve. You should interpret that as mere PR hyping, not some kind of malicious lie. Was it as good as promised? No, but it's still fairly good. Saying that it failed badly is an exaggeration.

Oh yeah, and I don't want to come off as biased, but that is one horrible review. The author lumps all the negative things into the concluding paragraph without having going into any detail about them earlier.

Even if the game didn't live up the the hype it deserves nothing less than a 9. People who are saying it's worth 8 or lower are only saying that based on the hype it received, they're not looking at the game for what it is which is an amazing FPS. The guy who wrote this review didn't actually look professional either.

It's still beter than FarCry and DooM 3 and if they could get 8 and 9's then Half-Life 2 should be able to easily.

Either

A)There just trying to be diffrent by being dumbasses
or
B) Trying to give make Halo 2 look better on game rankings

They have a right to their opinion, but the fact that the same guy gave Pacific Assault an 8 smells very fishy.

PA is pretty bad.. and has many more problems than HL2.

Absinthe said:
When did Valve say there wouldn't be any scripted sequences?
I'm confused about that as well.

The only time they said there were no scripted sequences was during the Barricade section of E3 2k3. That doesn't mean there wasn't any scripting during the whole game.

Back