On the Rain Slick.

Y

Yorick

Sooo the first episode of the game from the guys over at Penny Arcade came out today. There's a demo and it retails for $20 onnn this site.

Demo keeps crashing for me on download, is that happening for anyone else?

I'm afraid to try it.

Somebody else evaluate it first.

Don't forget about Ron Gilbert guys. :bounce: Buy Deathspank when it drops!!!

I will likely get the boxed retail edition as well. There is just something about having the physical thing.

Don't forget about Ron Gilbert guys.
Oh cool, didn't know he was involved (nor who he was until a minute ago, but hey :D).

It's meant to mix adventure elements in with the RPG, so it could be interesting. I'll grab the trial off of XBLA if it's up and post impressions later on.

Sooo, played through the trial, it seems pretty good. I noticed the adventure elements from the get go as you can interact with pretty much everything in the environment, even if so far that only yields items or some occasionally funny comments (a sign outside a gas station reads "if you want gas then that is something we sell and you can buy it from us"). The combat seems like it has potential to be fun, it's turn based but with an active slant, kind of like Final Fantasy 7 through 10. You wait for your attack gauges to charge and then choose your target, and you can block or counter enemy attacks with a well-timed button press. The special attacks all have little mini-games attached to them which is kind of cool, but, from the two attacks on offer in the trial, it seems like pretty standard quicktime event/button mashing stuff. The dialogue is a bit luke warm to begin with, Gabe is gung-ho and stupid as usual but Tycho is more friendly than cynical. Your character is given a few dialogue choices at a time in each of the conversations, but they don't seem to effect anything except the responses you get.

What I was most taken with were the 2D cutscenes. Not especially impressive visually, but it's kind of neat to see your character in there. :D

I'll wait on some reviews to decide whether this is worth my 1600 points... (unless it's cheaper on PC, that is)

Going to have a look at the demo, however I'm really surprised they didn't go with a Steam release tbh. Esp given Valve have the comic on there. It will be interesting to see whether it stays on there tbh. :)

I know that they are hoping this greenhouse will become another distribution platform, but personally Steams good enough for me. Also as I understand it, forget about waiting for a retail release it's not going to happen as they have no retail deal.

This game is damned awesome. Brings back memories of Monkey Island.

Fear not!

Get it, I'm almost done with it and it's just great.

I'm maybe halfway through the full game now.

- I was a bit disappointed by how limited the character creation is, but then when I saw how it put you into the cut-scene thing? That was damn awesome.

- Combat got pretty hard pretty fast. Luckily dying isn't a huge annoyance because it auto-saves pretty often. I generally don't like turn-based, but it works here.

- Loving the combo teamups, but I do kind of wish you got Overkill for them.

- The dialogue options are annoying because most of the time you have to click all of them anyway and they don't seem to affect anything. Dialogue aside from that is a riot.

- Things like the cat being worthless and the fruit ****er animations were just so epic.

- Weapon upgrades were a welcome surprise.

- So far it's pretty frigging awesome.

...man, gotta figure out how to get this though I'm in Australia... and credit-cardless. (And in a shitstorm with my parents).

Yes, I need to get the full version after finishing the demo. This game is just so much awesome. I love just about everything about it--the cat and the fruit f_cking being the favs right now. :D

I was really surprised at how adult the game content was, but it suits it, utterly. I've just finished it, and want moar.

Beat this today. Purely epic. Can't wait to play the next one.

The critics reviews are VERY disappointing. Jackasses have probably not even read Penny Arcade.

oh, did someone say turn based? that's all me

BLEH. i thought it was a turn based strategy game.

I don't really like turn based RPG's too much. maybe I'll try it anyway.

After I click "new game" and the camera pans all the way down to street level, I hear the sound of footsteps. And the game immediately crashes.

:(

Alright, I love the art style, the voice acting (so far, though it's mostly just the narrator) and the writing, but here are a few things that jump out at me about the demo:

* NO SKIP BUTTONS FOR CUTSCENES. These are a good idea, I would have thought Penny-Arcade would have known about it. At least they have them for half the narrator dialogue, which is mostly funny only once.
* My mouse dissappears if I a) alt-tab out of the game, or b) if I open the options menu. I'm hoping this is just a demo bug, since I can't find ANY other complaints for it on the net.

How the **** did Edge give this a 4/10?

It's fun, but not necessarily that innovative. Though tbh EDGEs reviews have been a bit janky for a while. They infamously gave The Witcher a 5/10, and it was clear from reading the review that the reviewer hadn't even gotten past the first chapter. :rolleyes:

oh, did someone say turn based? that's all me

BLEH. i thought it was a turn based strategy game.

I don't really like turn based RPG's too much. maybe I'll try it anyway.
This post is made of lol.

Seriously though, I'm impressed. I've got to figure out some complicated way of getting it legitimately, probably involving paying my friends to buy it for me.

It's fun, but not necessarily that innovative.

A lack of innovation doesn't stop it from being a great gaming experience. It's a shame Edge nailed it, I can imagine the review put off a lot of would-be casual buyers - if that demographic exists for a game that's hardly been promoted and is only available online..

Anyway, everyone go buy it :E

I played the demo last night. Besides some bitchingly small text for me to read it was quite fun and chuckleworthy. I plan to buy it as soon as I get enough points.

I bought it. Quite enjoyed it, there's a fair few hours game play there tbf for your $20. Also I wouldn't be too dismissive of the combat, you soon find yourself fighting opponents who require a degree of tactical planning to beat, esp if you want to capitalize on the overkills. Better than the Sam & Max games by a long way, and some good humour in there.

Not my cup of tea really I don't think, I do like the art direction on it though.

Finished Episode One a few minutes ago, it's incredibly fun. Combat is a bit 'meh' and the game gives you an Eleventh-Hour-Superpower near the end, but the writing alone is probably worth it. Though it does get a bit verbose at times.

$20 for this was a good deal.

I'd really like to get this game but the demo didn't work properly on my laptop. D:

Now it's out on Steam I'll be inclined to purchase it

Pfft I'd of bought it on Steam given the choice.

*shakes fist

Yeah me too, but since Hothead and Steam are technically competing I doubt we'll ever be able to swap reg keys or anything.

Back