Opposing Force Implications

G

Ghost

So far there hasn't seemed to be any indication whether or not the events of the expansion pack by Gearbox, Opposing Force, will have any affect on the official HL plot. No mention of Adrian Shephard either, though who knows, right?

I mean, maybe those combine soldiers are some of the soldiers who attacked you in Black Mesa. At the end of the game the G-Man does hold Shephard captive. But maybe he's been brain-washed or given an offer to go after Gordon again. After all he was the last one to see Gordon before he jumped over to Xen.

But again that adds other problems; it means Black Mesa was completely destroyed after the incidence and that there is an entirely differant alien race attacking at the same time (the two races will ifght each other when they're in sight of each other).

It'd be nice to see but I'm thinking that OpFor, and even Blue Shft and Decay have no effect on the official HL plot line. Which might mean no Dr. Rosenberg either. Which will also mean that Calhoun never escaped the way we saw him do in Blue Shift. I guess this makes sense considering the line "Remember when we though Black Mesas was as bad as it was gonna get" from the E3 video. After all Calhoun makes no contact with Freeman throughout Blueshift.

Again though, maybe Calhoun had a change of heart aas they were driving away.

Barney: No, I must turn back!

Rosenberg: What? Why man!?

Barney: Cause I still owe that guy a beer!

Any thoughts?

hehe I like that dialogue.

yeah, I would really love to see Shepard again. I really liked that add-on.

in Blue Shift, don't you see Freeman on numerous occasions? I know Barney and Gordon see each other when they pass by each other, when Barney can't get thru the security door as Gordon's tram goes by.

I'm not sure if Op4 really established that BM got nuked, but even if so, it was long after Freeman had already traveled to Xen. And there's a lot we're not sure of: whatever dimensional rift started in BM obviously is still in effect.

Well, remember that one screenshot with the blue tenticle impaling some bad guy, saving you and alyx? Well they said he was some kind of 'boss' if I remember correctly.

At one point you have to kill a group of BlackOps setting up a Nuke and then turn it off. THen you get access to the last area before the last boss. But as you go to the elevator, if you look through the glass, surprise, there is the G-Man playing with the Nuke.

At the end of OpFor you and the G-Man are in a troop transport going through a valley. He says something like "... there were a few mistakes that needed correction," suddenly the screen flashes white and you hear an explosion. I assume that's BLack Mesa going nucleuar.

Wasn't there a guy here before that suggested that he had gotten permission from Valve to do a mod in which you return to a bombed out BM?

Originally posted by Apos
Wasn't there a guy here before that suggested that he had gotten permission from Valve to do a mod in which you return to a bombed out BM?

that would be guinny.

i thought that the expansions to Half-Life are "unofficial" in a sense, so they will have no effect on the Half-Life story continuing on into Half-Life 2. maybe i am wrong?

i would like to see the effects from the mods in there, but not really that important. More like you see the other caracters from time to time, but don't make a big deal about it, and then make the mods again, and you can see how everything fits together.

Lol guys, let me tell you something, i think there will be no add-on of hl2 which you can play barney cause if you look at the e3 video when there is a guys talking to you about black mesa and after tell you to cover him that s barney.
But i think we will have a add on with shepard.

Originally posted by ulukai
Lol guys, let me tell you something, i think there will be no add-on of hl2 which you can play barney cause if you look at the e3 video when there is a guys talking to you about black mesa and after tell you to cover him that s barney.

yes i think most people are aware that is barney, but how does that discount the possibility of another blue shift type of add-on? we dont know for how long barney is with gordon in hl2, alot of the time hes probably not around, like in hl1.

Originally posted by ulukai

yes u guys are so ****ed up...there were no Halflife 1 either because as someone already said you see Gordan in Op-force*cough*sarcasm*cough*

I don't see how seeing barney in the HL2 vid. makes it not possible that their will be an extension were you play as Barney...(although I doubt it myself...but you reasoning was lame sry)

****i thought that the expansions to Half-Life are "unofficial" in a sense, so they will have no effect on the Half-Life story continuing on into Half-Life 2. maybe i am wrong?****

well they are official in a sense that they were retail and had the half-life name, and if they were to have no effect on half-life 2 then why would they have gone to the trouble to make them work with half-life, this prob sounds mashed but even if you dont notice it they must have some affect on hl2 in some way or another

All i m wondering me is what about shepard, he had the same end like gordon but no choise to work or not for g-man, only work for him so when can we see him in HL2 ????

There is one way to end this argument...... someone email Valve.... I have heard rumours that Shepard and Calhoon ARE returning in HL2... and that Valve had plans for them.... source: Some games magazine.

Originally posted by Cedric
i thought that the expansions to Half-Life are "unofficial" in a sense, so they will have no effect on the Half-Life story continuing on into Half-Life 2. maybe i am wrong?

Gearbox had to get permission from Valve to make the add-ons, so Valve must have agreed with the plot twists, making them a part of the Half-Life theme. If Valve had disagreed with gearbox "nuking" Black Mesa, it wouldn't have been in the final Opposing Force product.

i did email valve a few days ago about this before the post even appeared shockingly LOL but no reply

I doubt anyone else will get a diffrent answer it must be secret stuff

ive always wanted to play OF but never wanted to waste the money on it, now its free and steam gives me errors downloading it

Back