Orange Box box-art considered one of the worst of 2007[?]

Meh, it's the art in the games that counts :p

I agree too, but I don't care because I have Steam version. :)
Btw, 3.Worst - Trauma Center: New Blood is very good IMO...

As much as I dislike the OB, I sort of liked the simple artworks on it.

Doesn't compare to the original HL2 box though.

I dont like it at all...this was some fanwork I felt was more appropriate...

coverorangeboxnj4.jpg

i like that better^ especially without the background on the box art.

I saw that fan art before. It's absolutely fantastic.

That doppleganger cover they did illustrates the weaknesses quite well. Very funny. :LOL:

they could have used this instead

so let's just be grateful

ass4thumb.jpg

Yea Orange Box boxart was very ugly.

There are many versions made by fans that look million times better. Like the one above, that looks fantastic. I hope Ep3 box will look damn much better. Something epic and worth having on my shelf.

I bought OB from Steam so I actually don't care of the box.

I buy games in box form to have the box to be honest. Must be some sort of OCD thing.

That fan art would have been great.

OB's sucked, definitely. Not the worst, but really mediocre. I thought it looked like one of those value-brand game packages you'd pick up at the bargain bin for less than ten dollars. Half-Life has its fanbase, but let's face it. It is not a household name like Halo almost is. So I can't imagine why they'd choose such a bland and forgettable packaging. You'd think they'd try for something that leaps out at you.

I actually felt relieved knowing that I wouldn't have to purchase the box if I downloaded through Steam.

All old news. All discussed before. Article managed to hit it on the nose, though.

Screw you, EA.

I also agree...it's just not good, and it does seem to be made by someone who has no concept of what sells games. That fan art version, to me, is considerably better.

As a side note, in the same article, 4. American Girl: Julie Finds A Way Is simply awkward and bizarre. An evil mind could come up with all sorts of twisted ideas of what "Julie" could be doing there :)

It was terrible packaging and I don't understand why either, valve has some fantastic artists working there... Just look what they did with tf2

That fan box is MUCH better, the only thing I would change is to paint the front instead of render it, and play with the composition a bit

Even if it was just like that though, it's still miles better than that actual box that was released

It's depressing.

Although I don't agree with the guy's ranking, I do believe in what he commented about it.
Personally I think it's the worst cover made this year, if not ever. It's unimaginitive and boring.

Hell, if HL2's going to be crap, it's got to be the best at it

Well, the boxart sucked granted, but it doesn't bother me at all. Its not like I spend all day looking at the box.

The fan art is much more aethetically pleasing than what ended up on the real Orange Box. From a design standpoint, it's 100 times better, but from a marketing standpoint? I don't know... It's not really splashy enough to grab the average consumer's attention, and I'm not sure it communicates the content of the package very well.

Also, it almost looks more brown than orange...

I'd like to see what some of the corporate designs that got turned down looked like. I think it would afford an interesting glimpse at the decision making process (ie. why some superior designns didn't get the knod over what's wiudely agreed to be a pretty poor desing).

You have to consider that they were trying to advertise three new games in one package, so while it wasn't stunning, it got the job done, someone can look at that and immediately go "oh, TF2!" or "oh, Portal!" or "oh, Ep.2!"

They wouldn't have picked the fan art, because it didn't represent all three games.

Personally (just struck by inspiration), I think they should've produced three different "boxes"; one with HL2 cover, a Portal cover, and a TF2 cover. You'd then be able to produce pretty packaging, and yet it would still represent all three games.
But then I'd just buy all three boxes to have them all :p

Oh wait... it's EA. They wouldn't do something so sensible!

EA clearly haven't got a clue what they've got on their hands. Perhaps they have some contractual agreement to make retail so dire that everyone plumps for the Steam version?

I was in Game today.

Saw HL2 on sale. It was in a new box.

God, I was tempted to buy it again...

I was in Game today.

Saw HL2 on sale. It was in a new box.

God, I was tempted to buy it again...

Haha. I've already bought OB in two different formats, which also means that I've bought both HL2 and Ep. 1 total of three times apiece.

I dont think it's bad at all, its something different, more cartoonish looking but different. What matters after all is the content :)

I dont think it's bad at all, its something different, more cartoonish looking but different. What matters after all is the content :)

I've gotta agree...If someone is going to pay between $30.00 and $50.00 for a game, I hope they would at least read a review, or even play a demo, and not let something like the box art be the determining factor on a game purchase. Personally, I like the neon orange box....:eek:

I don't see what's wrong with the box art, I mean who cares anyway? it's the games inside that count.

Back