Orange Box for PS3 Trailing

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
EA is currently developing the Orange Box for the PS3. But because of the hardware's more difficult approach to coding than other gaming platforms, the release for said SKU will have to be pushed back "a couple of weeks" after the PC and 360 versions are released, says Doug Lombardi.
Lombardi did not identify a particular reason for the delay of the PS3 Orange Box, which is being ported by EA. He also did not give a specific release date for the game, although online retailers such as GameStop are now listing it as shipping on November 13.
Gamespot was given the confirm from Valve. Check it out.

Cant say im surprised, i was expecting this. Sucks for my friend he needs it for the PS3. :/

I wonder how long till this turns into a console war (ps3 is shit etc)

This doesn't really effect me since im going to be getting the game on PC but it sucks for PS3 owners (who are going to get it for the PS3)

Well, that sucks. I wonder if coding for PS3 is really more difficult than on PC and X360. Several games have been delayed for PS3 recently, just like Medal of Honor Airborne. That must be pretty annoying if you have to wait for Orange Box over a month - and it's not even a confirmed date!

I think a key question we should be caring about is - who will own the ported codebase? Valve or EA? If Valve do, it's fine, but otherwise, Valve are committed to using EA for sometime, unless they want to develop their own source-for-PS3 port or buy it off EA...

I see a common trend here for the PS3. :|

Old news? I heard this about a week or 2 ago.

Anyways, glad I'm not getting it for the PS3.

You mention many games getting delayed for the PS3...I would be interested to know how many of those games are EA games.

I think that VALVe have stated that they would like to eventually bring the PS3 game development in-house but its not practical at this time and Gabe doesn't like the PS3 :p Maybe when he cools off in a few months (years?) he might decide to make PS3 games in house.

I think a key question we should be caring about is - who will own the ported codebase? Valve or EA? If Valve do, it's fine, but otherwise, Valve are committed to using EA for sometime, unless they want to develop their own source-for-PS3 port or buy it off EA...
Valve really had to fight Vivendi to get the Half-Life IP back from them, I don't think they'd accidentally give away the rights to the code.

No doubt they've basically got EA on as contractors on this project, and everything they produce is owned by Valve.

"A couple of weeks" ---(valve time translator)--> 3 months

Anyway, I'm just glad it doesn't affect the PC version..

Harder to code for, or just different to the Microsoft ran PC and 360 platforms?

I can't wait to see how bug infested the PS3 port is! YARRRR.

It is harder to code for in the sense that you delegate work to different processors and such. There's no room for argument there even though I do support the PS3.

If you do this sort of programming from the onset, it's sort of "easier" to do in the moment and at the same time when you port it over, if coded in such a way these delegations to other processors can be ignored as if they weren't there. However, having to go backwards through millions of lines of code to essentially rewrite it to use the different multi-core architecture is really time consuming and will most likely never get the full effect it would have had you coded for the ps3 originally. As a ps3 owner, people will just have to accept that ported games will most likely always be slightly worse to equal on the ps3 but never better, despite it's better specs.

Game developers can only comment so much about how much they hate it though, I mean it's frustrating but it's the way the world is heading these days. PC's too are getting into the realm of Quad-core architecture's and I would like to hope that eventually that will mean, designing games that cater to said architecture as opposed to the current norm... where barely anything on the PC specifically caters a program to function better using multi-core. Next Gen systems will most likely all be multi-core, the technology won't just go away because developers complained so much about the PS3.

Maybe this will help EA with putting out better games for the PS3!!??

Damn my wishful thinking.

Valve delaying something, say it isn't so.

I got a 360 so I don't really care but I hope they don't push the 360 and PC dates back, honestly wouldn't be suprised if they did...again.

Who is to blame? EA or the ps3? :(

VALVe and EA are the ones to blame, obviously.

Did Sony change the PS3 architecture since launch? No. All the datasheets and development tools were available for developers long time ago.

If you read any technical forum (like Beyond3D) or any unbiased interview, you'll see that there is no question about PS3 being harder to program for than XBOX360 or PC.

So.. for me is pretty evident that VALVe and EA didn't take that factor too seriously.

Having said that, if the delay is only 1 month (you can't trust VALVe on this LOL), ah well... although it is bad, it's not that dramatic.

Cheers

A war would imply that there was an actual fight going on, so far it seems like the PS3 is stood there punching itself in the face repeatedly, whilst Nintento and Microsoft are actually going about the business of delivering games.

For an amusing take on the console war watch this though:-

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...tuation/1383-Zero-Punctuation-Console-Rundown

:LOL:

hahah that video is gold. I watched some of the other zero punctuation videos on the site and that guy needs a medal NOW!

VALVe and EA are the ones to blame, obviously.

Did Sony change the PS3 architecture since launch? No. All the datasheets and development tools were available for developers long time ago.

If you read any technical forum (like Beyond3D) or any unbiased interview, you'll see that there is no question about PS3 being harder to program for than XBOX360 or PC.

So.. for me is pretty evident that VALVe and EA didn't take that factor too seriously.

Having said that, if the delay is only 1 month (you can't trust VALVe on this LOL), ah well... although it is bad, it's not that dramatic.

Cheers

Sorry I didn't realize you were a game developer? Oh wait.

EA are the ones doing the Port, Valve aren't directly involved in it at all.

Yeah, I know EA is doing it, but since we are talking about HL and not some secondary franchise, I don't think VALVe said them: "Do it" and then forget about it, just the opposite.

Anyways, as I said above, and according with the new Doug statement, after all, the delay doesn't seem to be a big deal :dork:

Back