Orange Box Prima Guide

Asknoone

Reaction score
From the very first time I burnt a microwaved casserole in the Black Mesa kitchens, just before the first warp portal aberration, I?ve been a colossal Half-Life fan. When I wrote the Half-Life 2 strategy guide, and helped out with Raising the Bar, I poured over the scripts, dug through the detritus in City 17 for every last Frag Grenade, and honed my basketball skills with a deactivated Rollermine and a mechanoid named Dog. I sat, mouth agape, as Gigs of artwork were chosen, and copious interviews were completed. And I was pretty pleased with the end result. Naturally though, I desperately wanted to know how the war against the Combine was going to continue?

After a fraught battle through Episode One, I?ve finally found some of my answers by co-authoring the Official Half-Life: Orange Box Book. Although I?ve been sworn to secrecy on pain of death, the wild ride through the Outlands of City 17 continues, except this time the paths are less linear, and the new enemies more fiendish. The thrill of circle-strafing around a group of Hunters, struggling to dodge their incoming flechettes, while a squad of Combine soldiers disembark from their battle-tank, was matched only by the shocking turns of events that this episode reveals. But enough about my battles to reach the White Forest base; what?s in this book?

Well over 300 pages of strategy, for starters. Whether you?re a PC veteran of the series, or picking up the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions of this quintet of games, there are masses of tactics contained within. After an exhaustive Training section, a Characters chapter written by Valve?s Marc Laidlaw and Eric Wolpaw (which includes the all-new characters), and details of all the new weapons, there?s a highly detailed Walkthrough of Episode Two, complete with hints on completing all the different Achievements, and a host of hidden Easter Eggs cracked wide open!

Next comes complete tactics on the mind-bending Portal, written by industry veteran Miguel Lopez. Miguel spent days with the Portal team, learning the intricacies of this puzzle adventure game, figuring out some of the more deranged puzzles, and listening to the entire hilarious interaction between you and? well, let?s not spoil things. Rest assured, we?ve managed to obtain some truly insane tactics for clearing the advanced and challenging levels in record time. How do we know these tactics are insane? Because we got them directly from the Portal team.

Next, senior author Steve Stratton has been donning his cartoon fatigues and rampaging through Team Fortress 2 with relish, having survived an intense boot camp of strategy, courtesy of Robin Walker himself. From turret-placement to group tactics, from character combinations to the more subtle methods of executions and sneakiness, we?ve got (wait for it) all bases covered.

Finally, to wrap up this massive source book, Valve has agreed to provide over 50 pages of exclusive art, concept, and design documents charting the creation of Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Expect anecdotes, behind-the-scenes revelations, and an amusing surprise or two. The Half-Life: Orange Box Book?we hope you enjoy this monstrous collection of Valve-approved strategy and exclusive artwork.

http://www.primagames.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780761556930

Sounds like a great book; I'll definitely be picking it up. David Hodgson has always done a very good job with them.

Indeed, he does a good job. I will be picking this up also,

I must have that book, I loved Hodgson's previous guide. 50 pages of exclusive art, concept, and design documents? Epic win!
There is also game guide preview with slight spoilers (e.g. names of chapters in Episode Two).
One of them is reference to Charles Dickens and maybe also to G-Man.

I will be getting this for sure.

Well that makes things interesting. Looks like a juicy read! 7 chapters in Episode Two, compared to 5 in Episode One, probably 6 in Episode 3, to even things out.

The second last name is, I believe, a harbinger of things to come. PM if you're curious.

Also confirms no going back to add commentary to the main game (or bugbait, obviously)

Even where we'll get weapons in Episode Two!

Pretty handy for a "preview". ;)

Also, this just reminded me: has anyone realized that Gordon can also use Dr. Kleiner's retinal scanner? It gives a familiar message. I hope the Black Mesa mod people know that. Save them some time.
Yeah, his name is Manhack Matt. :)

Hmm I might get the e-guide, unless thats a bad idea?

This comes out a day before the Orange Box (According to the site) Lets hope some soulless brat doesn't spoil it for us..

Kind of odd for the US version to be $25 and the Canadian version $30, since the Canadian dollar is now worth more than ours...

Yes, in somewhat condensed form, you can see it in the book preview.

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply!
I hadn't noticed the link at
Try It Out! FREE!
at first ... :eek:
This is very interesting, especially the achievements.
It's too bad in my opinion that more than 80 pages of this guide were wasted on recapping "Half-Life 2" and "Half-Life 2: Episode One" while there already are separate guides on these games. I know there are people who didn't buy these books but I did and therefore I would have preferred 80 more pages of content on "The Orange Box" - especially considering there aren't
over 50 pages of exclusive art, concept, and design documents charting the creation of Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2
but only 34 ...

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply.
I hadn't noticed the
Try It Out! FREE!
link at first ...
Anyway, this is very interesting - especially the achievements!
But to be honest with you I'm a little peeved that more than 80 pages of the book were used up to recap "Half-Life 2" and "Half-Life 2: Episode One" even though there already are separate guides for these games.
I know not everybody bought these books but I did ...
That's why I'd have preferred 80 more pages on "The Orange Box", especially considering there aren't
over 50 pages of exclusive art, concept, and design documents charting the creation of Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2
as was promised here, but only 34 ... :(

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but want to ask: Did anyone get this yet? Is the RtB-esque content worth it?

...I poured over the scripts...
I want to kick this Hodgson guy in the face for this spelling mistake, if not for also apparently feeding the baseless knowledge-suck rumour. Meh, I'm not tempted by this book...

I have the book, but i also collect strategy guides and art books.

Its not bad really. There is some art worth while inside. I would like a Raising the Bar 2 when like Half-Life 3 comes out :p

Back